Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 12:59   #61

Re: 34' Sailboat Capsizes in SF Bay 100 Yards From Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
No kidding!

If anyone on that boat had even the remotest of ties to Trump, the entire media would be blaming him for nearly killing 30,000 people on a 34' sailboat. (intentional error.)

That reminds me, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I saw a news story saying they wanted to cancel the Blue Angels air show because they were loud, scary, dangerous, war mongering, burned too much jet fuel, etc etc. All of the typical hand wringing that goes on up there.

Here it is, a city supervisor. Where the hell do they find these clowns?
Don't think they have to go far. It seems that for every nut like that in CA there is a twin here in MA.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 13:38   #62

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45

Child Recovers After Boat Capsizes, Throwing 30 Into SF Bay « CBS San Francisco

local CBS report
Capt Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:39   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
OMG Where was the Nanny State.

I cannot believe the number of people on here who right away ask where are the rules? There must be a rule? Why isn't there a rule? Let's make a rule!!!

Well there is an all encompassing rule that would cover this situation and that is Criminal Negligence causing --------.

This rules covers everything and is the only rule you need.

We have been in Australia for 18 months. They have lots of rules here. Never seen any active water enforcement in our entire time here. The only enforcement vessel that has ever approached us was when we were at anchor who turned out to be Park Rangers. They asked us if we fish and when we told them no they went away. We have cruised from Darwin to Pittwater and everywhere is the same.

That would never happen in the US and Canada.
Well that is a false story. Guess you never visited Australia after all. We have, several times as cruisers. Lots of paperwork, lots of interdictions before even entering a harbor. Tons of controls about where you can and can not go; what you can or can not do; and rules we never even heard of back in the USA. They can, and have, refused entry to boats without proper paperwork.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 15:47   #64

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"Hey guys!!, look at that whale off the port side!"

I'm rollin'!
Hahahahaha Priceless!
Old 11-10-2016, 20:53   #65

Boat: Beneteau/343

I have a '34 beneteau. I find having 6 people on my boat to be really crowded. I can't imagine five times that number and still making things work.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 22:03   #66

Boat: Buccaneer 27; Hobie 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Thanks, zeehag, for posting the link to 'Lectronic Latitude.

The Coast Guard says the rescue is all down to interagency cooperation, but, for the record,
It was a good Samaritan who dove into the usualliy pretty d--n cold Bay waters, and it was a citizen, and an SF cop who did the CPR that saved the child. Also, other yachties tossed in life rings. There was terror on the waterfront.

Now, it may be only me, but I would like personally to thank those fellow ssailors
whether they be from a power boat or a sailboat. They kept this incident from becoming a tragedy.....
While the CG is busy patting themselves on the back...

Ann
Why are you hating on the boys in blue? There were 2 USCG surface assets and a SFPD asset on scene in minutes and started picking up people. If I were the boat captain (and I was stationed in San Fran decades ago) I wouldn't have sent a swimmer in for this..just drive up and pick up the people in the water.

Glad to see there were so many boaters able to respond so quickly and there was no loss of life.
Boatswain2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 22:37   #67

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Great video from where I sit.

Things to learn were many and varied.

1. Excellent throwing of pfds, despite which the pfds were not getting to those that needed them because of:

2. People in the water in that situation seem to become confused to the point of comatose.

3. People in the water were illogically clinging to the upturned boat despite the very real (and subsequent) risk the upturned boat will sink. They did this despite there being a large number of alternative and more reliable things floating in the water that were not going to sink.

4. Adding to the confusion was an "apparent" lack of rescue coordination by any boat or individual. This is not strictly a criticism because I can see how the video may not have shown an organised rescue process taking place, I simply observe the somewhat chaotic nature of the scene.

Watching that video has reiterated to me the difficulty in handling a MOB and makes me wonder how effective my MOB briefings really are. For instance, I stress to passengers that they should NOT try to swim back to the boat unless instructed to do so by someone on deck, as this actually makes it harder to get the boat to them in most circumstances, but I wonder if such instructions will really overcome the natural urge of people to try to return to the vessel they just departed.
no answers to any questions in my head from this video, just a whole lot more to think about.

My hat is off to the various wonderful people who facilitated the successful rescue.

Matt
Old 12-10-2016, 06:25   #68

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatswain2PA View Post
Why are you hating on the boys in blue? There were 2 USCG surface assets and a SFPD asset on scene in minutes and started picking up people. If I were the boat captain (and I was stationed in San Fran decades ago) I wouldn't have sent a swimmer in for this..just drive up and pick up the people in the water.

Glad to see there were so many boaters able to respond so quickly and there was no loss of life.
I didn't think she was "hating" on anybody, just pointing out that it was a combination of good Samaritans and SFPD and CG personnel all pitching in to do what they could to help. In an unexpected situation like this and many others, in the first critical moments it's often those who just happen to be nearby who are the only ones in position to help, and "the cavalry" arrives a few or several minutes later. That's not in any way a criticism of the CG or PD or any other "first responder," but rather is just the way it is. They can't be everywhere at once, nor do most of us WANT them to be everywhere at once. We all have to be ready/willing to help ourselves AND our neighbor and in this case it was heartening to see so many joining in the rescue effort as best they could.

"It's about the terror that they cause in people when they strafe
neighborhoods." I'm an ex fighter pilot myself but I have to agree that the Blue Angels should absolutely be barred from strafing any more SF neighborhoods and should only be allowed to strafe SF city supervisor meetings, but just to be fair, only on days of the week that end in the letter "y."
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:30   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I didn't think she was "hating" on anybody, just pointing out that it was a combination of good Samaritans and SFPD and CG personnel all pitching in to do what they could to help. In an unexpected situation like this and many others, in the first critical moments it's often those who just happen to be nearby who are the only ones in position to help, and "the cavalry" arrives a few or several minutes later. That's not in any way a criticism of the CG or PD or any other "first responder," but rather is just the way it is. They can't be everywhere at once, nor do most of us WANT them to be everywhere at once. We all have to be ready/willing to help ourselves AND our neighbor and in this case it was heartening to see so many joining in the rescue effort as best they could.
I was referring to her comment about the CG "patting themselves on their back", and pointing out that it was a good sam who jumped in to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
"It's about the terror that they cause in people when they strafe neighborhoods." I'm an ex fighter pilot myself but I have to agree that the Blue Angels should absolutely be barred from strafing any more SF neighborhoods and should only be allowed to strafe SF city supervisor meetings, but just to be fair, only on days of the week that end in the letter "y."
And thanks for your service!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:31   #70

it was an overloaded bay liner POWER BOAT

none of the people rescued wearing a life jackets

2 were trapped under the hull and someone jumped inswam under the boat and rresuced them

cops and USCG showed up later

the boat owner should be arrested

news at 11
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:47   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
Video clearly shows otherwise. I can identify 23 PIW in the video when two CG assets and the SFPD boat (the black hulled boat that comes in stern first) are on scene and begin recovering people.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:44   #72

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
it was an overloaded bay liner POWER BOAT

none of the people rescued wearing a life jackets

2 were trapped under the hull and someone jumped inswam under the boat and rresuced them

the boat owner should be arrested

news at 11
More likely sued whether it was a charter or not. The great American equalizer.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:13   #73
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is the "sailboat" before the Capsize. Photo is a screen capture from TV news report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	132754  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:22   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The official rescue services (CG,SFPD, etc) were doing their jobs, and did them well. But the citizen who did CPR on one child after pulling him from the water is the one who saved the life of that child, not the professional who later took over the CPR. Had the CPR been delayed that long a sadder outcome is likely.

I reckon they all did damn well in a chaotic situation... kudos to everyone who took an active part, and to those who kept the hell out of the way.

Jim
Old 12-10-2016, 13:32   #75

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Boatswain2PA:

I wanted to underline the fact that the child who was unconscious, that boy's life was saved by CPR administered at first by "a citizen", then by an SF policeman. It was the people who were closest when the incident occurred who were positioned to offer assistance. The waters of SF bay run around 58 degrees F., pretty cold, for swimming, so it was also an act requiring individual bravery, and I think that deserves acknowledging. I don't "hate" policemen, and I'd appreciate a public retraction.

Sheesh!

Tags
capsize, sail, sailboat, sf bay, size