Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 12:23   #16

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: 34' Sailboat Capsizes in SF Bay 100 Yards From Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

complete with video .
Mystery solved. It was a powerboat. With 27 adults and 3 kids onboard.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33   #17

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Mystery solved. It was a powerboat. With 27 adults and 3 kids onboard.
Wow, thanks Z and Fallingeggs. Incredible how horrible the news reporting is these days. Here is the title of the article that I referenced:

On Saturday, around 4 p.m., the 34-foot sailboat Khaleesi was carrying 30 passengers when it capsized about 100 yards off of Pier 45 in San Francisco, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.

Several more news agencies picked up the story and all were saying Khaleesi was a sailboat.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I'm very surprised that so many find this story humorous.

A fellow sailor lost their boat and a five year old boy remains in the hospital after almost drowning.

This was a near tragedy and I was hoping that local CF members might have better information than the news is reporting.

Shameful if you ask me.
Sanctimonious much?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:50   #19

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
Sanctimonious much?
I'm not sure when caring about others and their personal life tragedies became sanctimonious?

Lindabarzini, If you cracked a smile over this story, I have a good one for you...........

Knock Knock, who's there? The 30 ft sailboat overloaded with Cuban refugees that sank and all were lost.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:59   #20

I didn't interpret any quips about THE EVENT being humorous, just people talking about fat "americans" etc which was humorous. There is a difference.
I thought it looked like a powerboat bottom on the news also, but the original article if you read it says "sailboat".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:00   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

It was fleet week where there are TONS of overloaded boats on the bay to watch the blue angels fly. 30 people was at least 15 people too much. I'm surprised there are not more mishaps on the bay.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:02   #22

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
I'm very surprised that so many find this story humorous.

A fellow sailor lost their boat and a five year old boy remains in the hospital after almost drowning.

This was a near tragedy and I was hoping that local CF members might have better information than the news is reporting.

Shameful if you ask me.
First, not a sailor. A "skipper" at best. Idiot, more likely.

Not a "fellow" or a peer. Owning a boat does not a boater make.

I've read some Shakespeare, and this does not qualify as a tragedy, near or otherwise. It would have qualified for the Darwin Awards though.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:15   #23

Boat: PEARSON 422

I think when people do stupid things like trying to take 30 people out on a 30' boat...we should be allowed to make fun of them(guilt free). 30:30 is not a good ratio. When there are children involved, to me, it is borderline criminal negligence.
Old 10-10-2016, 13:16   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks, zeehag, for posting the link to 'Lectronic Latitude.

The Coast Guard says the rescue is all down to interagency cooperation, but, for the record,
It was a good Samaritan who dove into the usualliy pretty d--n cold Bay waters, and it was a citizen, and an SF cop who did the CPR that saved the child. Also, other yachties tossed in life rings. There was terror on the waterfront.

Now, it may be only me, but I would like personally to thank those fellow ssailors
whether they be from a power boat or a sailboat. They kept this incident from becoming a tragedy.

Really, the whole thing is a lesson to not over-load a boat, but it's hard when seeing the Blue Angels while you're out on the water is a real thrill. Still, the skipper should know what is safe loading for his vessel and stick close to it. The other half of the lesson has to do with fellow sailors looking after others...and it's something we can all bear in mind.

While the CG is busy patting themselves on the back, I wonder if they issued a citation to the Kahleesi's owner? His misery is far from over, he'll have to see to removal of the hazard his sunken boat represents. He made a mistake, a serious one, [and who among us has never made one?, and he has a lot to cope with without CF spite.

Ann
Old 10-10-2016, 13:44   #25

Quote:
I'm not sure when caring about others and their personal life tragedies became sanctimonious?

Lindabarzini, If you cracked a smile over this story, I have a good one for you...........

Knock Knock, who's there? The 30 ft sailboat overloaded with Cuban refugees that sank and all were lost.
Do you get invited to many parties?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:14   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dog_68 View Post
I think when people do stupid things like trying to take 30 people out on a 30' boat...we should be allowed to make fun of them(guilt free). 30:30 is not a good ratio. When there are children involved, to me, it is borderline criminal negligence.
To me, there's no "borderline" about it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:29   #27

criminally negligent, eh? Could be, that's in the poor sod's future, too, but the terror, the shame for bad judgment, the loss of the boat and its sequelae, that's some "consequences" already...

We never, ever took more than 6 other people on the 30 footer, and it was a sailboat, so not liable to sink the way the power boat did. Maybe he didn't think about it, Maybe he did, we're not likely to know.

When you think we have 3 threads now on CF about criminal negligence, that's pretty amazing. We've the one resulting from the loss of the men on the Beneteau, Cheeki Rafiki, the one about the cruiser in Tonga whose wife died following a beating he gave her, and now, perhaps this one, if the number of people here who think it was criminal negligence prevail.

I ask again who among us has not made a stupid mistake? "The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven....."

Ann
Old 10-10-2016, 17:44   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Before we condemn the owner/skipper we need to get the facts first.

I could tell from video that upturned hull was a powerboat...... I also know that some water taxis in the 32 ft range are licensed for 30pax... Not saying that was the case....but so far the reporting is too poor to confirm the facts
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:00   #29

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I dont remember much about it, But many years ago a very large boat that was overloaded,
All the people ran to one side of the boat to look at some thing in the water, The boat over turned due to the weight shift onto the one side,, Resulting in many lives lost,

In Australia all boats have a maximum limit for people on board, It attracts large fines if you exceed that Maximum,
You also have to have a life jacket for all persons on Board, Mandatory, It also attracts large fines for failing to have them,
The water Police do check for these Items, as well as all safety equipment, There is a list and its all Mandatory for all vessels,
Both inland and sea, Once you leave the dock, all safety gear must be on board, And worn in most cases, Also Mandatory,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:13   #30

There's a rule for children, at least on Sydney Hbr, that they must wear lifejackets all the time, and I believe, but am not certain that that applies regardless of vessel size or type. But I've seen lots of racing on Pittwater, and no one wearing a PFD.

Maybe the legislation varies by the State, as it does in the USA. It certainly does with regard to what you must wear and when between NSW and Qld.

It's been a long time since we left San Francisco, and I am not up to date on requirements up there. Bake then, skipper was supposed to carry a personal flotation device for each person aboard, but we were not required to wear them. When I raced there, one of my skippers had all crew wear theirs at all times out in the ocean, while another did not. This freedom of choice may have changed.

I would say that if criminal charges are brought against the skipper of the Kahleesi, all those compliance regulations will be looked at carefully, and they may show him to have been "negligent" in terms of the laws. There's a big difference here, though, imho, because although everyone may have been terrified, and the child's life certainly was endangered, he's okay now, and there was no loss of life. [Again, thanks to the Good Samaritan and the helpful "citizen, and cop.] To me, this is a lesser negligence than that of the charter company who allowed Cheeki Rafiki to not be properly repaired, which did lead to loss of life.

Ann

Tags
capsize, sail, sailboat, sf bay, size