Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-04-2012, 17:32   #1

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
3 Years Sailing the Caribbean - Why Bother ?

I need people who know to chime in here and help me present my case to my wife!

We are empty nestors. We can run our business from anywhere there is an internet connection, (once a month will do).

We love to sail.

The dog is old.

I tell her no one ever looks back on their life and says: If only I hadn't done those 3 ( or 5), years sailing that catamaran in the Caribbean.

She does want to do it, spends a lot of time looking at various catamarans, heads out on our sail boat when the weather turns good, but she is worried she will grow bored with sun and sea day after day, month after month.

If there were a few ladies on the forum who have done this or are doing this, please join in the thread!

Thanks!
Soaking wet Vancouverite.

Old 25-04-2012, 18:01   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: 3 Years sailing the Caribbean - why bother?

Is this any different than "normal" life? Other than it is easier to move along to something else?

Old 25-04-2012, 18:20   #3

Boat: 38' French Cat
Damn Don thays got to be the best response I have ever seen .!!! I imagine half your time will be spent working on the boat, then fishing exploring, reading, finding the meaning of lufe, then u can relaxe the other day or two lol
Old 25-04-2012, 18:35   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

I think a short one/two week holiday to the Caribbean is needed. Once you have her sitting on a beach drinking pinacolada at sunset, your sales pitch would no longer be required.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 19:07   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Does sitting on the back of the boat looking at a white sandy beach with a painkiller in hand really ever got old?

Our 7th week (aka 10-12 days) sailing the BVI is in 3 weeks. These 7 trips have spanned almost 4 years with this next one being our 4th in a 12 month period. At the end of every trip, I wish we could stay. I never miss home or even think about going home the whole trip.
Old 25-04-2012, 19:34   #6

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Is she a partner or a passenger? Partner: too busy to be bored, probably. Passenger: hmmmm, I wouldn't know!
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 22:09   #7

She (and you) will just have to come up with different 'shore excursions' to do when you get to different places.
Old 25-04-2012, 23:09   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Laundry, provisioning, and boat work have taken up more time than I imagined and then there's cooking and dishes. So far it's about 1/3 work and 2/3 leisure, I haven't thought about getting bored yet. If she gets bored you can stop and work, it's not the end of the world. She could volunteer somewhere if money isn't an issue. That's not a reason to not go IMO, just something to worry about is all.
Old 26-04-2012, 01:09   #9

Finally leaving the Caribbean after 8 glorious years of cruising there.

The variety is huge, from the chi-chi restaurants and 'celebs' of St Barts, the tiny island of St Eustatius. Steel bands and Carnival in Trinidad. The romance of Man O' War Bay in Tobago.Antigua race week, jump up at Shirley Heights. Heineken Regatta in St Martens, Collecting fresh nutmegs in Grenada, anchoring in the set of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' in St Vincent.

Shopping for tax free fuel in Venezuela that costs less than filling the boat with water! Excitement of Colombia, perfect diving in Bonaire. The indigenous tribes of Panama. Coastal cruising in Nicaragua. Rum tasting in Honduras, Pina Colada's in the Bay Islands, Mayan temples in Guatemala.

Second biggest barrier reef in the world in Belize, tequila on the dock in Mexico. Cigar buying in Cuba, coffee from Jamaica.....

Bored! Give me a break! And there is still a lifetime of stuff we didn't get around to...
Old 26-04-2012, 01:28   #10

Why does it have to be 3 to 5 years? Why can't you just go for a few months or a year and see what happens? Can't say I would be completely sold on the idea of staying in one place that long. I like the idea of the variety of cruising - the freedom to explore, visit new places, experience new cultures, meet new people, etc, etc. Sounds like you have the financial freedom to be able to 'suck it and see', so why not?
Old 26-04-2012, 05:24   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

My wife doesn't post here, but I can relate to you her views.

She was apprehensive about living on the boat for long periods. So we agreed to charter a boat just like ours (Island Packet 380) out of St Thomas for two weeks. At the end of the charter, she didn't want to go home. The next Fall I and three friends sailed our boat to St Thomas, and she flew down with the cat to meet me. We subsequently spent two glorious seasons sailing the West Indies. She was never bored. She has never regretted it.
Old 26-04-2012, 05:50   #12

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Is she a partner or a passenger? Partner: too busy to be bored, probably. Passenger: hmmmm, I wouldn't know!
Hit the nail on the head there.

My wife is a passenger/reluctant partner. After a year and a half on the boat she wanted to stop and get a job. It worked out though because I was ready to get another boat. So we decided to stop and let her work a year, and me buy a bigger boat and get it ready to go again. (it will probably take that much time). She has been working for 3 months now and is wondering "what was I thinking"? We have the bigger boat and refit is in full swing.

Tell her stoping is easy, it is the getting going that is hard.
Old 26-04-2012, 06:26   #13

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post

Tell her stopping is easy, it is the getting going that is hard.
YES!

When you are living a "normal" life, it exerts a huge sucking force to keep you "normal." Inertia is a serious force to be reckoned with.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 06:27   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
I need people who know to chime in here and help me present my case to my wife!
Agree with her .

and have a Plan B - if it ain't fun for both of us, we stop (and do..... errrr....something else) - whether that be after, 6 months or 6 years (if it ain't fun for her, then sooner rather than later it won't be fun for you!)....and keep yer fingers crossed it ain't 6 months (and put some effort into making sure that is the case).

Given that you sound like it won't be a zero budget adventure, I would plan on plenty of trips ashore - not only locally but also back home (freinds and family may be more important to her than you) and also further afield.....Boat in the Carribean?, no reason why can't also go Skiing in Europe or treking up the Himalayas etc etc etc - just like many folks living onshore do. Being on a boat doesn't mean having to stay on a boat 24/7 - only restrictions are time, imagination and budget.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 07:07   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

sun and sea day after day month after month isn't what drives me back to shore..

It's the humidity and salt air day after day month after month that I dislike..

Go for a trial run and see what surprises await. Cruising is just like life, there are good aspects and bad aspects...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, sailing, caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: