Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-04-2012, 19:27   #16

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
Re: 3 Years sailing the Caribbean - why bother?

you people are great, keep it coming! She was just laughing and enjoying some of the comments, (like the sa ling quote), and Many of the posts are good food for thought.

Regarding the passenger/partner question, she is definitely a partner not a passenger. couple of days ago she was up the mast!

She really is someone driven by the need to help others and make a difference, (serving the Lord) so the comments about volunteer work and getting involved on-shore were right on.

Personally, I envision more experiencing and exploring cultural and natural geography rather than being on the move all the time. I want to take the time to really get to know folk who are not just like me.

Old 26-04-2012, 20:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Nobody who has any doubts should ever go sailing. Do not persuade your wife.

I would say why not try and negotiate some sort of deal, like: you go sailing, your wife joins you for 6 months on the boat, then you join her on dry land for 6 months?

Balanced diet is often the best one!

b.

Old 26-04-2012, 20:21   #18

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nobody who has any doubts should ever go sailing.
People who don't have any doubts frighten me. I've never been doubtless, but I'm happy to be sailing.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 22:03   #19

The time I was sailing was the absolute best time of my life. I was worried when we were planning our trip (I had been on a sailboat for just a couple short trips-although I did go on many dive trips) because I had worked all my life. However, I found time to do the more important things in life- talk with my spouse, cook & clean to celebrate my family, meet people who didn't judge others based on designer label, $ earned or big career and enjoy nature and this amazing world. There were different creatures daily and each cove had a beauty of it's own. Indescribable!!

Look into Seven Sea's Cruising Association- i think they have volunteer programs like delivering medicines to areas & maybe other things. They would have ideas to help too.

There is a big danger though. One thing my husband said that helped me relax was that we would sell the boat if I didn't like it. The danger is now that I never want to leave it- your wife may become the sailor and drive you nuts wanting to go places!!
Old 26-04-2012, 23:45   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

"boredom's just another word for nothing else to do, and nothing ain't nothing if it ain't....."

Oh damn, wrong lyrics.

Probably I should read the other responses before I post, but that's not going to happen tonight. Forgive me if I've drifted, am out of context, or totally miss the mark.

Seriously, I've had moments in my life where I have begged all Gods to grant me a moment of boredom. Never happened. Happy for that I find interest, little miracles and witness beauty in a ten minute break from work outdoors! Often it happens only in my thoughts and in my little pee brain. I'm easily entertained. The point being, if you become bored of life where you currently reside, you may likely become bored in paradise. I have spent weeks at a time, not months at at time, in the Caribbean. But never have I left willingly. And I spend my time begging all Gods the same opportunity be granted to me, as what is granted to you and your wife.

It's kinda like rubbing salt into my wound! LOL "But Dear, might I grow tired of being surrounded in beauty and comfort constantly for months on end?" Really? Just go for it chica! It's destine to be just as enjoyable as your present life and surroundings. But I'll bet money it'll be better than what you are living now.
Old 27-04-2012, 05:36   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
People who don't have any doubts frighten me. I've never been doubtless, but I'm happy to be sailing.
+1

THX for balancing my post!

I stand corrected: I believe it is a good practice to avoid trying to convince other's to do or not do something. I believe it is better to let people try things and if their doubts dissolve then it is a very smooth solution to the issue at hand.

Regards,
b.
Old 27-04-2012, 06:50   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
She really is someone driven by the need to help others and make a difference, (serving the Lord) so the comments about volunteer work and getting involved on-shore were right on.
At the risk of heading off into CF forbidden waters .....when the Missus used to write to me she'd often say I was "God for her" . Took me a fair while to realise it was typo for Good . The ego is easily fed .

Easy mistake for me make as she used to do a lot of religious counselling - she would counsel folk that if they didn't do what she wanted (usually involving repaying money) that they would get a personal introduction to the deity of their choice . Happy days .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:59   #23

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I believe it is a good practice to avoid trying to convince other's to do or not do something. I believe it is better to let people try things and if their doubts dissolve then it is a very smooth solution to the issue at hand.
Concur! Especially between spouses, because "you made me do this and look what happened" is a formidable weapon in the hands of the reluctant partner! Not that I know from first hand experience.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 07:20   #24

I just finished reading "A Sail of Two Idiots" which was about a couple who took 3 years to sail the Caribbean on their 37' catamaran. It was an excellent read and I highly recommend it to anyone! The couple now lives in St. Kitts. (it was their favorite of all the islands)
Old 27-04-2012, 08:36   #25

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
but she is worried she will grow bored with sun and sea day after day, month after month.
So when that happens, go someplace else. Head up the coast to Maine for the summer, enjoy the lobster, go to Nova Scotia. Trailer the boat across the coast(or sail down through Panama) and hit Seattle up through BC and into Alaska.

You're on a boat. When you get bored you just pull up the anchor and move someplace else.
Old 30-04-2012, 00:09   #26

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersmith2017 View Post
I just finished reading "A Sail of Two Idiots" which was about a couple who took 3 years to sail the Caribbean on their 37' catamaran. It was an excellent read and I highly recommend it to anyone! The couple now lives in St. Kitts. (it was their favorite of all the islands)
The wife bought this book since reading your post and has been reading parts of it to me. This couple has really been through the roller coaster!
Old 30-04-2012, 04:06   #27

Boat: Island Packet 38

I resonate with your wife's faith. I am a pastor and former politician and one of the big problems I have is feeling that I should be serving in these two fields rather than sailing. However, I think God has opportunities to serve everywhere and perhaps greater need in some of the polaces you may be sailing to rather than your own community. There is also the fact that sailing helps one rediscover the bigness of the divine. I am teasing this out a biit in a blog I am starting. You may want to read an article by Robert Pirsig (sp?) which touches on this too albeit in a more secularized form.
Old 30-04-2012, 19:14   #28

Another option that may fit both of you is sail part of the year and go home the rest. Many put their boats on the hard for the hurricane season and go home then return for 6 months of sailing each year. After a year or two you both might decide to go full time, keep going part time or that it really is booring. Extended sailing is not the same as a 10 day vacation on someone else's boat! Maintenance, maintenance expenses, chores, weather and mishaps are all part of the adventure!
Old 01-05-2012, 15:51   #29

If she won't run away to sea, you can always trade her in. You probably won't get much for her, but it should be enough for a down payment on a real sailor chick!

More seriously, we have friends who took their sail boat to the islands and had a ball. Because of (his) health problems, they had to move ashore and so bought a condo in St. Maartin. That they find boring and they're moving back to the mainland.

Sailing they found very delightful because of the variety to be had in the many islands.

And they often sailed back to the mainland for hurricane season: cruised the Chesapeake a couple of summers, eastern Long Island Sound another, then Cape Cod to Boothbay Harbor over around six months, and so on.

One island all the time is not not enough. All the islands are too many for a lifetime.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:57   #30

Boat: private yacht always moving

maybe you should just stay home and stay in the same old dull routine. forget about the sun, beaches, and having no cellphones. Stay with the traffic jams, pesky neighbors, cable tv going up in price, food prices goin up, gas and oil going up, cold winters. Why would you want to leave all that and go to the Caribbean and explore with no worries expect when cocktail hour is.

Tags
Caribbean, sailing, caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: