Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 13:45   #76

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: $3,000/mo cruising budget planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0.5% (half a percent) is 0.005 and on $200k that is $1000

so if you know a "regular ol' savings" account that instead pays 5% please let me know (PM it to me as I don't want to cause a bank run)

I have over $100k in a "regular ol' savings" account and I make more each month by using my credit card and taking the cash back than I make each month in interest.
Yep,
Totally realized my math sucked sometime last night, long after the edit-post deadline expired. Luckily for everyone I'm not a CPA !
GuidoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:11   #77
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I have to admit how it cracks me up....
The Big house and car are the "we made it" symbols of land life and people have some idea that the Cruisers are better than land lubbers for not having this class/class warfare mentality. But this thread shows it's all about money for some people...that and what it can buy them is how they define a happy cruise and if they don't have enough it would be slumming it. I have to admit to feeling sorry for people with that attitude. If you could be happy with $5K/mo but in misery on $2/mo it isn't the money that is the problem to your happiness....it is you my friends.

Back to work...gotta make more money...more.....more....more...Can't cruise on $2K...gotta have $3500 to be happy...ha ha ha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:36   #78
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
But this thread shows it's all about money for some people...that and what it can buy them is how they define a happy cruise and if they don't have enough it would be slumming it. I have to admit to feeling sorry for people with that attitude.
If that's the way you feel why do you feel compelled to continue to post on the thread Is it that only your cruising budget ideas are the correct ones?
Old 29-10-2014, 14:40   #79
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Third Day: you can cruise for free: sail to an idylic island paradise and kick the policeman in the nuts.

Free lodgings and cheap food forever.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:52   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If that's the way you why do you feel compelled to continue to post on the thread Is it that only your cruising budget ideas are the correct ones?
Oh that easy...why do you post on the forum?

There is this false image that to go cruising you have to have "X" amount of money, "X" type of boat, "X" type of gear, or be wealthy and from my time in the anchorage that is total BS. So the more I can help get this message out there to people...the more people will be encouraged to go for it and go cruising with what they have.

Some people are over-planners and most of those types NEVER make it...trust me...
I sell gear to them and then the new owner of the boat calls me after the original owner died or sold the boat, asking if I can send them the manual for the new gear that was installed and never used by the previous owner. I've had this happen WAY to many times and it kills me every time it happens.

So my view is as a cruiser (who made it) and then the flip side in selling gear to cruisers in planning (those who make it and those who don't).

As to my view on budget being correct...who in the world ever said or implied that....certainly not me. I know it makes some people uncomfortable to have to see and deal with views that differ from their own...but that's even a better reason to see them.

If you already knew the answer to your question about "Could you cruise on $3000/Mo" then the question isn't why "I continue to feel the need to post on this thread"...the real question is why do you feel compelled to read and respond? Why not just ask the mirror your question and be a heck of a lot happier with the smiling answer... The assumption is that when people post asking a question, they want to hear from people that don't just praise them for their planning and approach, but people that also challenge their plan and make them think about it...maybe I'm wrong...maybe we need more Yes Man posts?

Being the voice of reason or descent in the room isn't always easy but someone has to do it... But it does ruffle a feather or two in a world where even the naked King's clothes are admired and praised.
Old 29-10-2014, 14:58   #81
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Oh that easy...why do you post on the forum? To help educate others.

I think you are just being a false prophet looking for a way to call others names in a way that doesn't break the rules.

So since you have written your view on the thread at least 3 times don't you feel you education of others is over?
Old 29-10-2014, 15:13   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think you are just being a false prophet looking for a way to call others names in a way that doesn't break the rules.

So since you have written your view on the thread at least 3 times don't you feel you education of others is over?
Prophet? Me? Heavens no.
Well you do appear to be denying me 3 times before the cock crows...

But seriously, which for me is hard, I'm just a average Joe Cruising Bozo that retired at 37, took his family cruising, and now lives aboard while the kids are going to high school before the wife and I can head back to Mexico. So what do I know anyway.....Ignore everything I've said in the post and you will be much happier...heck I didn't know people were listening anyway.

My apologies for getting in the way...carry on....
Old 29-10-2014, 15:59   #83

Ha. It is strange how entrenched people get in their ideas of what is comfortable.

For example I'm selling franchises of my business now. Every store we've opened has been successful and the owners are happy. Yet sometimes when I talk to folks who I think would be great and who I know to be unhappy in their current jobs I hear them say they are sure that they could never own their own business.

It took me a while to realize that some people just different. I don't know if it's because they're too nervous or they're lacking self confidence or they're just naturally really cautious. Who knows and on some level who cares?

I don't know that you'll ever have much luck convincing someone that they can take off if they're not already sure that they can. The folks who have bought my franchises were sure they were going to be successful at something. They were just looking for the right thing.

I certainly don't blame you for trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DanDanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 04:35   #84

I think for some people, the idea of cruising on a sailboat, exploring places, and meeting people, and having adventures, sounds very exciting and romantic in the abstract. The problem, is when they start to realize that the reality may not be quite as rosy as their romantic notions.

Others, sense unknown risks, and want to be convinced that those risks (financial or personal) do not really exist. You can worry and 'what if' yourself into never leaving your bedroom. Again, get the obituaries out and read about the people who were killed in car accidents, or who suddenly were diagnosed with a terminal illness. What were they worried about when those calamities hit them instead?

I agree that the people who really want to cruise, (or do just about anything in life, really) will find a way to do it, and generally have to be talked out of their dream, not into it.
Old 30-10-2014, 04:54   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think for some people, the idea of cruising on a sailboat, exploring places, and meeting people, and having adventures, sounds very exciting and romantic in the abstract. The problem, is when they start to realize that the reality may not be quite as rosy as their romantic notions.
I got the idea of it not being easy, and even being a little tough and frighting at times, to me that is a great part of the attraction, if it weren't challenging, then it wouldn't be fun.
However as I have just done coastal cruising just a little so far, I have come upon a few "cruisers" (quite a few actually) that due to financial constraints don't really cruise, but they can sit in the anchorage and get by as it's cheaper if you just sit in place.
Actual cruising as in travelling adds considerably to the expense, things get used, broken and need replacing and or repaired much more often than they do if you stay at anchor, clearing in expenses, not having the source for cheap parts anymore, it all adds up.
I think this has a whole lot to do with the apparently large difference in some budgets.
I started this as a way to see the world and travel, I don't want to have to sit often until the funds build up enough again to go
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:13   #86
cruiser

The biggest variables regarding monthly expenses are:
1. How often does one intend to eat out?
2. How many days per month does one intend to stay in a marina or on a paid for mooring?
3. Location, location, location. Where does one intend to cruise?
4. Does one perform one's own maintenance and repairs?

Without knowing the answers to these four most basic questions, there's really no way to set a budget or assist someone in setting a budget.

We have no difficulty cruising the Med four months of the year on $1000 per month, we don't eat out more than once per week, and that's usually for a lunch. But we do eat and drink well with meals prepared on the boat. We stay in beautiful anchorages 100% of the time, and sail rather than motor whenever possible. We do all of our own repairs except for electrical.

Marinas and dining out can eat through $2-3,000 per month easily. We know people who can easily blow through our $1000 per month total budget on just their booze habit alone.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:20   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
2. How many days per month does one intend to stay in a marina or on a paid for mooring?

Without knowing the answers to these four most basic questions, there's really no way to set a budget or assist someone in setting a budget.

We have no difficulty cruising the Med four months of the year on $1000 per month, we don't eat out more than once per week, and that's usually for a lunch. But we do eat and drink well with meals prepared on the boat. We stay in beautiful anchorages 100% of the time, and sail rather than motor whenever possible. We do all of our own repairs except for electrical.

Marinas and dining out can eat through $2-3,000 per month easily. We know people who can easily blow through our $1000 per month total budget on just their booze habit alone.
All good points on why it is hard to tell someone else what it will cost them to cruise. I posted this on another forum to make that point relating to number five.

"So much of your maintenance budget depends of how good you are at figuring out how to fix things.

I will give an example: My ST4000 RayMarine Autopilot broke one day, coming into a pass with some pretty good waves (where I probably shouldn't have had it engaged).

There were three options to fix it:

1. New autopilot - cost $1500 to $2500

2. Replacement drive unit - $550

3. Take the thing completely apart myself, figure out what was wrong with it, and replace the six (out of 9) little plastic gears that I found had been stripped. cost - $45

I picked #3. But, someone who would have picked #1 or #2 option, is definitely going to need to set more money aside for maintenance than I have to have."

In my experience, from my short and long cruises, people who aren't good at fixing things, and aren't willing to learn, are going to need a pretty substantial maintenance budget to cruise.
Old 30-10-2014, 06:25   #88

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
The assumption is that when people post asking a question, they want to hear from people that don't just praise them for their planning and approach, but people that also challenge their plan and make them think about it...maybe I'm wrong...
I don't think you are wrong, it's good to get different opinions. But also, when somebody says that your idea isn't for them or won't work for them, that too should be taken with a grain of sand.

I applaud those that can go now and go cheap. I had a thread before called 'Dream boat or go ASAP'. I learned alot during that thread, and per suggestion made my top 5 boat requirements list, which makes my 'dream' boat much much cheaper. But I also said I can't go now, both financially and with a kid in high school. Yet I had posters suggesting if I didn't drop everything and leave in the next 10 minutes, I'd never do it. Not very helpful, but I do understand their attitude. They don't know me, and I'm sure that is the 'norm', people NOT going.

As for the budget, my attitude is whatever I plan will be way different anyways, so just need to set myself up with no debt, some passive income, and a way to possibly add to my kitty - and we'll be fine. I'm becoming okay with giving up my 'prime earning years' for some 'prime living years'.

~ Following C's ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:27   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

I think this puts it quite succinctly and accurately. I would consider moving point #3, location, to #1 since location will have a big impact on the costs for #1 and #2. However, limiting your costs for #2 and #3 will to a great extent mitigate the impact of location so maybe keeping the order as is would work as well?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:47   #90

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Fully agree.

Lets be clear, the OP is not really interested in answering his question. He already has his answer (over and over and over...). But the discussion is still a good one for those honestly exploring the question. As one of those who strive for the frugal side of cruising, I've pointed out that it's easy to cruise on a modest budget as long as you are willing to make some basic choices:
  • Your boat must be designed with long term self-sufficiency in mind. Large tankage, large storage, functional systems.
  • Your boat must be largely maintainable by yourself. DIY is a must.
  • Eat local, and don't eat out.
  • Marina, and perhaps even mooring balls, are off limits.
  • Boat insurance is probably liability-only.
  • And there are some places that are largely off-limits, especially to the truly low-cost cruisers.
I cruised for over three months through the Great Lakes -- a pretty expensive area. Even with serious engine problems, and therefore having to spend far more than expected, we didn't come close to $3,000/month.

Tags
budget, cruising