Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2014, 22:31   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: 2014 Single Handed Transpac Racers

I was going to do the SHTP in 2010. Quickly decided not to after seeing all the money wasted to meet their requirements and entry fee. Also a good thing as I wasn't ready to go when the race left. Ended up going three weeks later and had much better conditions.

IIRC, the Westsails have pretty much finished near the middle of the pack and ahead of supposedly faster boats like Valiant 40s. A Westsail won't beat many boats going to weather in light air but ease the sheets and get a bit of wind and they will leave larger boats in their wake. Actually surprising that the W32's have done so well in these races as the conditions really benefit lightweight surfing sleds. It's usually one of these sleds like an Olson 30 that wins the race

Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 22:41   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

When I read "Transpac" the first thing that crossed my mind was a race across the Pacific.

It is not even half way across, so it sounds like it is the "Baseball World Series" of yachting

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:57   #18

Boat: N/M 45

Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Good write up on the trip back from Hawaii. Going through the high works for those heading to Southern California but if your going to northern ports such as BC your much better off staying on top of the high pressure. The downside is that the lows are tracking there as well so gales are common at any time of the year but unless you have lots of diesel its about the only sure way to sail home.
Often the Pacific High is so far north that you'd have to take Kodiak Island to starboard to get across the top. Have you been able to sail over the top of the High? That hasn't been possible for me, so far. I also wasn't aware of a lot of 35 knot gales up in Kodiak in the summer - perhaps that is normal weather up that far north? I think you may have more experience in that neck of the woods as I have none.

The boats that I know that have sailed up to Vancouver, BC from Hawaii following the SSS TransPac have sailed into the High along with the rest of us (I was headed to San Francisco) , only they held a more northerly course during the several days of motoring and then popped out of the High on port tack and reached into the Straits of Jaun de Fuca.

I will be departing Cabo San Lucas (south tip of Baja California, Mexico) in a week, and sailing the big offshore loop to Vancouver, BC. My intention is to meet the return track about halfway between Hawaii and the mainland, then carry on through the High and into Vancouver.

- beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 17:10   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

I just think this race is great and would love to do it one day. The race is also over 2000 miles and it's being done single handed.

Also, that Cal 20 weighs in about the same as that Capri 25. The Dana 24 is built like a brick sh.......outhouse (7400 disp) but unfortunately probably sails terribly and it will be super slow. PHRF 243. The Capri has a rating of 174 with a displacement around 2900lbs. It should rock and roll (go fast) off the wind with the spinnaker up.

I just get a kick out the way these guys go out and cross 2000 miles of open ocean (blue water) on most any type of boat as compared to some here on CF.

Of course, it probably does take a special individual to go sound asleep on a boat with a displacement of 2900lbs and ballast of 900lbs cruising at around 7 or 8 knots with the spinnaker flying 1000 miles off shore.
Was planning on doing the race a few years ago on a highly modified Catalina 22MK ll with a Capri keel and a sugar scoop.. Took my share of offrshore races with with the little boat in PHRF so I figured the boat would handle itself well until we started adding the "stores" for the crossing.. in a 2900 pound boat, we added almost 900 pounds of goods, water, and equeptment to make the passage.. when loaded, the boat sailed like a "PIG".
The weight would be minor in a larger boat but in the smaller, lightweight units, it disrupts the sailing ability.

Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

race, racer, single

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: