Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2013, 20:15   #31

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke outboard in Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Other countries have very little customs charges. Grenada and Panama have been inexpensive, for example.
Mark

I don't know what you have been shipping into Panama, but we spent seven months there and it was one of the most EXPENSIVE counties to ship parts to during our 33 months of cruising.

It cost $535 for shipping fees from NY to Colon via FedEx for a $700 alternator. They also charged me $110 for a small UPS International Envelope to ship down my mail and a new credit card from Florida to Panama City.

Most long time cruisers in Panama use freight forwarders in Florida that help reduce the cost, but it is still very expensive to ship to Panama.

Although Panama doesn't have import fees they have a fixed Import Fee of that makes up a bulk of the shipping costs.

Costa Rica came in a close second with crazy import taxes, like 100% on shoes.

We also shipped some generator parts via UPS to Pacific Mexico and were charged a $250 customs fee on $1200 worth of spare parts, even though we had a Import Permit on our vessel. The Mexican Customs said they only tax exempt items to replace broken parts, not spares.

Shipping parts to some foreign countries is not all that cheap when you figure in Customs and Shipping....

I have no experience shipping parts to the eastern Caribbean, so that might be easier.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:26   #32

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Don't know anything about the Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke. I do know that worldwide Yamaha is everywhere. How is this engine compared to the USA/Canada standard of past years 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. What does it cost and how does that compare to a Yamaha 4 stroke? Is it as dependable as the USA/Canada model? What does a Tohatsu 2 stroke cost? How are prices on RIBs in the Caribbean compared to the USA?
Robert

I knew cruisers who had to purchase new outboards in Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Panama... In all those countries, engines on the local markets were about $800-$1000 more than a comparable engine in the US.

Attempts to ship US models to those countries was cost prohibitive.

Several cruisers purchased the Yamaha Enduro 15, but as they found out NO PARTS are available for this engine in the USA. The engines are also illegal in many US States, not for being two strokes, but because they are not built to US standards. That could become a problem is you take one back to the USA.

RIBs like the engines tend to be over priced in every country I visited in Mexico and Central America.

Old 14-09-2013, 20:54   #33

Thanks for the info on engines and dinks. Anyone know where I can get a decent deal on a RIB between Turkey and the Caribbean ??? I'm OK with the cheap blow up floor plastic dink and little engine I'm using in the Med but its not going to cut it where we are heading.
Old 14-09-2013, 21:13   #34

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

What parts are commonly needed to be replaced for these small outboards?
Old 14-09-2013, 21:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What parts are commonly needed to be replaced for these small outboards?
I carry Gear Oil and Engine Oil, Spark Plugs, Fuel Filters, spare zinc, carburetor rebuild kit and a spare prop.

You can usually find these items in other countries, but they generally more expensive than in the US.

I also carry a shop manual for the engine.

Old 14-09-2013, 23:56   #36

spare impeller
Old 15-09-2013, 03:24   #37

Hi
Please excuse my ignorance everyone but i'm new to all this but the information people have given me so far is fantastic.

Please can anyone tell me is there an additive that can be put in to 2 stroke fuel that will allow it to run a four stroke engine.

Regards

Bob
Old 15-09-2013, 05:51   #38
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the info on engines and dinks. Anyone know where I can get a decent deal on a RIB between Turkey and the Caribbean ??? I'm OK with the cheap blow up floor plastic dink and little engine I'm using in the Med but its not going to cut it where we are heading.
Gibraltar ( order ahead )

Dave
Old 15-09-2013, 06:14   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Don't know anything about the Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke. I do know that worldwide Yamaha is everywhere. How is this engine compared to the USA/Canada standard of past years 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. What does it cost and how does that compare to a Yamaha 4 stroke? Is it as dependable as the USA/Canada model? What does a Tohatsu 2 stroke cost? How are prices on RIBs in the Caribbean compared to the USA?
The Enduro series is a solid basic 2 stroke engine. Very reliable and most common problems can be fixed in the field w basic hand tools (minimal electronics).

In the Western Caribe Ive seen the Enduro 15 priced between $1,600 and $2,000.
Old 15-09-2013, 07:36   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbo View Post
Hi
Please excuse my ignorance everyone but i'm new to all this but the information people have given me so far is fantastic.

Please can anyone tell me is there an additive that can be put in to 2 stroke fuel that will allow it to run a four stroke engine.

Regards

Bob
2-stroke fuel is regular gasoline with a small amount of oil added to it (50:1 or 100:1 ratio). 4-stroke fuel is just regular gasoline like you put in your automobile.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:35   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Mark

I don't know what you have been shipping into Panama, but we spent seven months there and it was one of the most EXPENSIVE counties to ship parts to during our 33 months of cruising.

It cost $535 for shipping fees from NY to Colon via FedEx for a $700 alternator. They also charged me $110 for a small UPS International Envelope to ship down my mail and a new credit card from Florida to Panama City.

Most long time cruisers in Panama use freight forwarders in Florida that help reduce the cost, but it is still very expensive to ship to Panama.

Although Panama doesn't have import fees they have a fixed Import Fee of that makes up a bulk of the shipping costs.

Costa Rica came in a close second with crazy import taxes, like 100% on shoes.

We also shipped some generator parts via UPS to Pacific Mexico and were charged a $250 customs fee on $1200 worth of spare parts, even though we had a Import Permit on our vessel. The Mexican Customs said they only tax exempt items to replace broken parts, not spares.

Shipping parts to some foreign countries is not all that cheap when you figure in Customs and Shipping....

I have no experience shipping parts to the eastern Caribbean, so that might be easier.
Like I mentioned, how you ship and who you use is important. In Panama, it is important to use a commercial service like Marine Warehouse and not do it yourself. Doing it yourself leaves you wide open for customs pocket lining.

For whatever reason, Marine Warehouse brings stuff in with only 1% or less duty. Earlier in the year, I shipped in a Balmar alternator using them - ocean freight cost $18 and the duty was $6. I did have to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive by ship, but could have had them ship it Fedex overnight.

I shipped back a DOA Electromaxx alternator (had to name that criminal company) by Fedex economy using Marine Warehouse for $100. I would have returned it by ocean freight, but it was worth the money to clean my hands of that whole debacle and look forward again.

Shipping by ocean freight is very frugal. We shipped into Panama from the US 6 Trojan batteries, a Victron inverter/charger and various other stuff for $68.

They also have good Fedex prices, as they pass on their substantial discount they have with Fedex over regular consumer prices. Through them, I Fedex'd overnight $3,500 of radios and other electronics. The shipping charge was $200 and the customs charge $35. I 2-day Fedex'd $6,000 of radar, chartplotter and other electronics for $330 +$54 customs charge.

I found shipping US outboards into Panama and Guatemala is less expensive than buying them locally. Particularly if you want a brand/model different from the very limited selections available locally.

I just shipped in a new US outboard to Guatemala and paid $300 total for shipping and whatever country fees were applied. The quote to ship the same outboard into Panama was $130 for shipping + $30 for customs. Unfortunately, they weren't in US stock before we left Panama, so we had to wait until Guatemala to ship it in.

I know people have very different experiences for shipping similar things into countries. I am only presenting my direct experiences, methods and expenses. YMMV.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:38   #42

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

If you are waiting for parts for an engine, it is because you haven't ordered them yet - not because it is difficult or expensive to get parts delivered. Heck, I just ordered an entire outboard from the US and had it delivered to Guatemala for a total of $300 shipping. The entire cost was $1000 less than the same outboard being sold here (actually, the model being sold here is an older one)!

Mark, I don't remember if you said in previous threads which retailer was able to find/ship your new motor?

So far, your impression is still good?

-Chris
Old 15-09-2013, 08:54   #43

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Mainland Mexico it's this little monster these days.

CG 125 Cargo
[derail - we saw the little motorbikes everywhere in the DR too. We caught rides from kids with a "motoconcho" a few times.

I would love to buy a small bike like this for city use here, but the choices seem to be limited to scooters - 50 to 80 cc -or bigger bikes - 250cc and up]
Old 15-09-2013, 09:17   #44

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
. The only reason to consider one is if engine weight is a problem from you.
Very important point and that makes a big difference for preferences. My 8HP Yamaha 2 stroke that sits comfortably in my basement weighs 60#. A 4 stroke replacement will weigh in the 85# range. But a funny here, my 2 stroke Mercury weighs about 72#s and although still lighter than the Yamaha 4 stroke it surely is not a 25# difference.

The old two stroke is going to be around for a long time despite Carol Browner whose EPA fiat stopped their imports. Remember her? She also wanted to force catalytic converters onto lawn mowers.
Old 15-09-2013, 09:26   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Mark, I don't remember if you said in previous threads which retailer was able to find/ship your new motor?

So far, your impression is still good?

-Chris
I found it for a good price at Cumberland Watersports in Tennessee. The shipping was free to Miami, and I shipped it to Guatemala for $300 using TransCargo Shipping through Captain John's Marina here in the Rio Dulce.

The shipping process was flawless, the engine arrived in perfect shape and we are 2 hrs into the break-in period on it. We have another hour of putting along before we can operate it at higher throttle for a few minutes.

It started on the second pull out of the box, idles dead quiet and just gets one of us on plane at 1/4 throttle (max allowed during this break-in time).

Mark

Tags
2 stroke, 4 stroke, Caribbean, outboard, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: