Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 04:48   #1

1998 Tahiti 33 conversion

Hello to all. I have recently purchased a 1998 Tahiti 33 ketch that has been converted to a single masted cutter/sloop??. This particular boat has been sitting on a trailer for several years. I am buying it thru a yacht broker and it is pretty much a project boat, but in very good confition. I've read several posts about how slow/sluggish they are but i am quite okay with slow. I plan on sailing as much of the Gulf of Mexico as i live in Port Aransas Texas. I am curious if after having sat on a trailer out of the H2O for so long, is ther anything I should do to the vessels hull before I launch it? The hull is constructed of 1-1/8" mahogany but also has fiberglass over that. Without all the childish, BS remarks because you dislike this particular vessel or whatever reason, I would truly appreciate any and all advise. I know there are many posters out there who always have to reply with some negative bs i suppose they have nothing better to do than to bring others down for some reason. This Tahiti is the one I've been able to acquire and one the broker could help me to close on, so this is what i have to work with. It comes with a Hupei 20 hp diesel engine. Thank you kindly for any advise! ✌
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:37   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: 1998 Tahiti 33 conversion

Did you have the boat surveyed prior to the purchase? If not, that is your starting point.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 20:38   #3

Light tapping, [or a survey], should tell you if there are any areas of the sheathing that are not adhered to the timber, if that's OK, a normal inspection for dry rot after no salt for years should tell you everything.

I have sailed on 2 "Tahiti" yachts. One a 1950s boat, & heavily built. Ketch rig it was worse than slow, it was a dog. It would not tack in any conditions, requiring the jib to be backed every time to get the head around through the wind. It also ran badly.

The other was much lighter built, home built of Huon pine in the late 70s, & sloop rigged. It was an absolute joy to sail. light & responsive on the helm, buoyant & sea kindly in heavier stuff. I don't think 2 so similar boats could be more different. This raced with a small town club when not cruising, & with a big overlapping genoa was surprisingly fast in light airs.

I hope yours is of the latter style. I would stick with the single mast rig, at least until you find out how she handles.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:10   #4

Hasbeen, thank you so much for your response about the Tahiti. Yes sir, I sure hope this one is too. Its built in 1998 out of central american mahogany so its pretty heavy. I am anxious to find out why it was converted to a single masted sloop, but I much prefer it this way I think. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Again, Thank you, have a Blessed Day!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:51   #5

Mahogany is a strong timber for boat building, so thinner planking can be used. Many of the old Americas Cup 12 metre racing yachts were built of Mahogany. My racing yacht was Honduras Mahogany, & was quite light. It is definitely one of the better boat building timbers.

Hope she goes well for you.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:21   #6

Yes sir, this is also central american mahogany and is 1 1/8" so it should be quite strong as well. Thank you very much for the feedback and have and great day!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:24   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

do you know if the sheathing was done in epoxy or polyester resins? If the latter, do inspect carefully for areas of delamination... something sadly prevalent in amateur glass sheathing jobs.

Another question: is the construction normal carvel planking with caulking between the planks and ribs on close centers, or is it some form of strip planking with edge glued strakes or perhaps splined joins between planks. These factors are important in understanding how the hull might have withstood the years of inactivity.

Final caveat: was the boat closed up well enough to keep rainwater out whilst stored? Dry rot (which oddly occurs where fresh water pools in a timber boat) can seriously weaken ribs and floors and planking, so do have a good look in inaccessible nooks.

I wish you well with your new mistress. Like all such, she can bring joy or agony!

Jim

Tags
tahiti