Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 18:51   #1

1982 Formosa 41 CC Ketch

Interested in buying one, 6' draft, will it sail to wind? Problems? Opinions?
alyonsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:04   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: 1982 Formosa 41 CC Ketch

Nope, they do not sail well to windward. But, there are ardent supporters of the design (Zeehag here on CF is perhaps even more than ardent!) so they must have their good points. Try searching on her posts, or just on the design... you will get a snootful of opinions. They are a kinda polarizing boat, lovers and haters.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: 1982 Formosa 41 CC Ketch

ok . for the record, formosas were designed to sail trade winds. those donot come from nose unless you ae sailing rtw the wrong direction.
747 sail to weather
formosa are very comfortable trade wind sailors. they handle heavy weather awesome well.
they handle following and quartering seas quite nicely
they handle chubascos like a silk sheet.
they are excellent cruisers.
do not try to race them. you will end up buying an airplane.
iff
you want a comfortable cruiser, buy a formosa.
if you want to race and sail into wind, buy a different marque, sloop or cutter.
lord help ye if ye buy a formosa and wish to race. you will have such a comfy passage in a formosa, you will forget about racing, or you will be soooo flustrated at not gaining more than the world record of formosa/ct/seawold/island trader sog record of 8.5 kts in a severe blow....
i achieved 8.4 in one 2 hour chubasco off south baja
the center cockpit version has an extra cabin for privacy that the aft cockpit version hasnt. i covet the cc version....lol

for more rabid souls, see leaky teaky yacht club, a yahoo group--address an email to leaky teaky yacht club at yahoo groups dot comand see who comes up.. may take some time, but they will answer ye.

btw--since i was 7 yrs of age, with a short pause in late adolescence, i have sailed many different boats and kinds of boats for distances of anywhere from 10 miles to much longer passages. i sailed gom in a 37 ft loop. i dreamed on that trip of my formosa, as it is THE nicest handling boat that i know of to handle the crap we endured in that body of water. we bashed as we watched a formosa type ketch sail easily thru the nasty junk(more than 30 kt winds with hella choppy sea..more than 5 ft) we were suffering thru, making it look soo easy. damn i droooled that day......they were dry and we were soaky, cold and wet
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa, ketch