Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 16:22   #1

18ft Sloop

Recently bought a windrose 18. The cabin is stripped to nothing. It needs some cushions and paint. First of all where should I go looking for cushions. And second, how should I go about wiring this girl with some power? The exterior is mint however the cabin not so much. Tips please
Windrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 20:04   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: 18ft sloop

Congratulations on your new boat. I don't believe they are still being made so you'll be doing a lot of custom work. There are books written on boat wiring so you might check the local library or amazon.com. If you want the wiring to last then learn how to make proper connections and use marine grade parts and pieces. You'll probably want to rig up running lights and maybe a VHF radio and maybe a sound system of some kind.
Take measurements for cushions and then go to an upholstery shop or try to do it yourself. Again, there are books on the subject so do a bit of web searching and you'll find what you need.
Old 14-02-2012, 09:07   #3

Thanks. I guess I'll start shopping! Now as far as power. Should it all start with a basic generator and move forward from there?
Windrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 10:57   #4

Re: 18ft Sloop

I don't think you need a generator. What electrical things do you plan on having aboard? Most folks with boats your size have one 12 volt battery aboard that they charge at home or with a solar panel or an alternater on their outboard.
My first boat was a Catalina 22 that I had in the water at a Marina (fin keel model) so I just charged up the battery with a small charger plugged into the marina power. You have to keep an eye on the charger if you do that sort of thing because you want to avoid stray electricity and any accidents with boat motion chargers and battery.
The book I have about doing cushions is The Big Book of Boat Canvas by Karen S. Lipe.
kind regards,
Old 14-02-2012, 11:00   #5

Oh, and its a good idea to use a deep cycle 12V battery for that application. If you aren't near a marina and can't talk with other boaters who have boats on trailers but want to see what's available in 12V power usage then check with RV dealers. Dont' go overboard buying electrical gear until you get sailing and determine what you might need.
kind regards,
Old 14-02-2012, 11:01   #6

If you don't have much sailing experience then I'd recommend a basic sailing course and definitely read a copy of Start Sailing Right! or any number of other basic sailing books.
Good luck.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:20   #7

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I recommend Don Casey's

Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual

AND/OR

Nigel Calder's

Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual

I Googled the Windrose 18....nice little boat ya got there! The cushions, you're gonna have to measure and have them made unless you get extremely lucky and find someone who has some and is willing to sell. Not likely....just look at pictures online of others and get an idea of how many cushions and the layout, then measure up and have them made.

Does you boat not have any electrical at all? In one picture I saw an electrical panel...I would assume she's got lights? (nav and interior) Or is it all stripped out and ya gotta start from scratch?

In either case....2 most important things....use a marine deep cycle battery, and all wiring must be marine grade pre-tinned. Other than that, try to use LED's wherever possible, a good charger for shore power, and an outlet or two for 12v stuff.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 15:28   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Getting cushions custom made to fit will cost $$$. DIY perfectably doable, but a PITA - and first attempt won't look factory finished....and probably not 3rd attempt either!

For a quick fix I would consider getting cushions off the shelf from a Camping Store / Garden Centre (Walmart?) - and trade fit for cheapness......even if you don't furnish everywhere - how many seat and bunk cushions do you really need?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop