Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: $150k-180k..which boat?

Hey Steady, yep that was the intention, just a discussion about boats with people that are into boats!
BTW I liked your photos of Samal a while back, im not sure if I commented. I had a good time there last year.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:13   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Dale! You know this forum!

You spend $10,000 on a 32 foot shitlocker with 2 or 3 masts and a keel longer than the boat, no hatches and 1 on-deck Thunder Box. You then spend 6 years fixing it up.

The fixing costs the rest of the money but you've SAVED, don't ya see?

Check eBay
What about the indoor outhouse?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:29   #33

Now your going to find this very sad Ken, but when I was planning to keep this boat I also planned to install a natures head, but dont worry when I got over to Europe I was also going to offer you the opportunity to give it a try!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:38   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If I lived in the Pacific Northwest or somewhere on the North Sea, with cool to cold air and cold water temps, this is the kind of boat I would enjoy having for cruising. A couple of years ago I thought I might move to Northern Europe (London or Amsterdam), so I spent time looking at boats that are designed for those areas. This is not optimized for the tropics.

I also happen to like pilothouse boats (like the Nauticats), and this boat has one of the nicest I have seen for what I have in mind. Of course that is a matter of personal preference and we all see those things differently.

What do I find particularly appealing about this boat?
In short, I like the pilothouse layout.
I can imagine sitting there in the pilothouse, enjoying the scenes I see from the pilothouse portlights (windows)), sipping some tea, and painting a new watercolor painting (my work as an artist) while at the table all the while enjoying the natural light, and watching and seeing the harbor or anchorage scenes around me, something I find inspiring for marine art. Not every boat offers that, and it is something I would highly value.

In addition, this is a Dutch Built steel hull, from a reputable yard, with a suitable layout below. I also like that it has a bow thruster, as I am single.

1998 Colin Archer 12,60 Bronsveen Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1998 Bronsveen (Colin Archer)
$151k
Located in the Netherlands
Steel hull

Here is some description from the sale listing.
"The boat was designed and built by Bronsveen in Harlingen (NL). The hull was delivered technically ready in 1998, but the boat was completely finished in 2001. The hull is built with double welded round joggled steel. The boat is insulated for both heat and sound with special flakes. Rigging and fittings are all heavy duty and the boat is easy to sail with a small crew.

The interior is nicely finished with knot-free solid yellow pine wood and Norwegian pine veneer. There is a cozy and pleasant nautical atmosphere all around. In the deck saloon with steering position you have fine view over the surrounding area and boat. Under the floor is a large storage room where larger items can be stowed such as bicycles. A few steps down one gets to the galley, which is equipped with a solid Force-10 stove, a sink and a cooling. There are two double cabins, the master cabin in the bow, and a guest cabin amidships. Obviously there is a spacious bathroom with electric toilet and shower.

The engine room is in the stern, and accessible by a small door. The propulsion comes from the 6 cilinder Iveco; quiet and reliable propulsion at low rpm. The technical installation includes a Kabola central heating and hot water supply. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	131026  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:46   #35

Hey Steady, I was only looking at boats ( online) in the Netherlands an hour ago and saw that one if I remember correctly. Alot of Koopmans for sale there, that look nice. My problem is I like most boats..lol.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:53   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hey Steady, yep that was the intention, just a discussion about boats with people that are into boats!
BTW I liked your photos of Samal a while back, im not sure if I commented. I had a good time there last year.

Dale,
Thanks. I am glad someone liked the photos.
I had a blast while photographing the scenes from the small airplane, as I had the door taken off, and as the pilot banked in low turns for me, and as I had my hands on my camera, there was nothing but a seatbelt holding me in the plane as we banked over the water, which was sometimes 500 or 1,000 feet below me, and I was looking straight down for some overhead shots. Thrilling ride!

Another thrill was flying "on the deck" at 10- 15 feet over the water, again with the door off, as we made some close passes beside fishing boats. I have never done that before (neither had the pilot) and it was unforgettable and fun for both of us. My friend in the back seat was air sick during all this (his first time up in a small plane) and missed all the fun, and all the shots and video he was supposed to be taking, as he had a bag over his face.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey Steady, I was only looking at boats ( online) in the Netherlands an hour ago and saw that one if I remember correctly. Alot of Koopmans for sale there, that look nice. My problem is I like most boats..lol.

I know the feeling!

Yes, this is a nice boat, but it would not be my first choice if I were living in the tropics. Horses for courses.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What about the indoor outhouse?
But for $150K, he should get 2 outhouses, a wheel starb and port, a wheel on the bow and one in the dink.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Now your going to find this very sad Ken, but when I was planning to keep this boat I also planned to install a natures head, but dont worry when I got over to Europe I was also going to offer you the opportunity to give it a try!

The internet can be so deceptive... I pictured you differently.

As long as you're comfortable in your new digs, that's all that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	131053  
Old 13-09-2016, 00:31   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pics of guys in outhouses aside,

Dale, had you seen the alloy Lavranos for sale here on CF? It has been kept pristine, and Lavranos has a reputation for designing really nice sailing sailboats. If one can believe the pics, she's a beaut!

I have sailed on a larger Lavranos, here in Oz, and found it a surprisingly excellent performer in light airs. The above boat, if available, is definitely inside your hypothetical price range.

Good luck with your search.

Ann, the nitpicker
Old 13-09-2016, 00:50   #41

Hey Ann, yes ive looked at it several times (online) and I agree that it looks like a quality boat and I do like it, there was also that aluminium Gary mull ? on cruisers forum a little while back which also had great lines.

Im working on Freeform (on the hard) right now and plan to put her on the market in the next couple of weeks. I'll become a more serious buyer once I sell her.

I also remember (Cruisers forum)the compass 47 ( same designer) that was/is for sale in South Africa, old design put new boat with a good reputation.

Im not focused on one particular design/ model boat, although I have some preferences. Condition and price are my main criteria preferably 43-47 foot. You can buy allot of boat in Europe for your buck in at the moment, although the aud isnt the greatest. I believe its very much a buyers market, which is good and bad for me...lol.

Thanks.

Old 13-09-2016, 03:30   #42
cruiser

Dale,

Why not look at a 20 year old Oyster in your size range and replace the mechanical systems. Seems like it can be done if you pick the right boat.
Old 13-09-2016, 06:04   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dale,

Why not look at a 20 year old Oyster in your size range and replace the mechanical systems. Seems like it can be done if you pick the right boat.
Hi Ken, being obsessive, having no girlfriend on board and to much time I think I've looked at every boat that's for sale in world, including Oysters.
I must say you have one awesome boat.
I've thought about the older boat replace the systems thing but unfortunately I'm not the man I used to be, I just don't want to do the work, it seems to always cost more and take longer than one thinks. And at the end of it you still have a older boat. Ive watched people spend a fortune refitting boats and quite often they still have old tanks, wiring etc. I would certainly look at old oyster or similar if someone had already dropped alot of money and time in to on.

The upside of a project like that is it keeps you in one spot for quite some time. You get to become part of the place and get to know the real place and people, which I like. Also obviously you end up with a boat you understand with alot of brand new bits. Ie. Engine.

Thanks for your imput.

Old 13-09-2016, 07:39   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I would buy according to planned use:

- a small cat, or a big cockpit queen Bene: for marina/weekend sails,
2011 Beneteau SENSE 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

- smthg strong fast and tested for world cruising: e.g. a Dick Zaal alloy:
2001 Dick Zaal 40' Grey One Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

- a racer, for racing:
2006 Class 40 Francois Lucas 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

All shown names and styles are generic.

Heaps of money almost too many good choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 08:02   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Oh.I would definitely buy a larger Ferro boat. For $150K, you could probably have one custom made. She'd be the queen of the marina...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote