Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 10:14   #31
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: 1 month sitrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
See, you are going to re-wire anyway, just pry the panel molding off and fix it right later.

I'd hate to think what would happen if you have a fire behind that panel before you re-wire. yuck
a fire? i have a right foot, and i bet i could lodge it thru the pannel and then spray it.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:19   #32

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post

See, you are going to re-wire anyway, just pry the panel molding off and fix it right later.

I'd hate to think what would happen if you have a fire behind that panel before you re-wire. yuck

Look on the bright side, if he can't get in maybe the fire can't get out!
Old 16-07-2013, 07:28   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
must be like a jib, and i am betting it helps with speed....
No. A mizzen staysail is like a 2nd spinnaker.

Google it.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:33   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Google it.
i did, results must have been wrong. its actually hard to find info on.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:53   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Google it.
Don't think so, Bash. While some race boats used to fly a spinnaker-like sail from the mizzen (Windward passage for one), a mizzen staysail is not free flying, but is tacked down to the deck somewhere... often outboard rather than on the center line.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-07-2013, 10:23   #36
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

i pegged it at 16,000.
yes, i have looked at every square inch of the boat now.
the garden hose stuff freaks me out.
good part is i can do all the labor myself, except lifting 8D batteries
Lol. $16k. I hit $30k at first glance at your list just for material costs. And that's assuming stuff like the windlass and refer can be rebuilt, and don't have to be replaced.

I'm in the middle of a refit of a 40' Valiant, and I am just about on budget. That is to say, I took what I thought and put it in a spreadsheet. Then I doubled it, and added a cushion. I'm only slightly over the doubled and padded amount so far. I basically do 99% of my own labor, also.

It's not only the project creep, which I mostly accounted for, it's also all the little things that add up so quickly. The one I didn't really figure would be so crazy are the fasteners. Man, decent stainless hardware won't "nickel and dime" you, it will "half dollar and dollar" you to death. For example, the rivets to reattach the mainsail track would be $300 from Port Supply, or $130 from Jamestown. While $130 is better than $300, I hadn't figured on half that. And I'm not even going to detail what the stainless screws (6 each) are going to cost to reattach the mast steps lest my wallet stroke out. And Tef-Gel. And poly sulfide. And bar-stock to fabricate a new antenna mount.

The feeling of accomplishment is awesome, and I wouldn't trade it. You can't put a price on the knowledge of your vessel you gain by doing it yourself. But I think the $36k estimate is a little closer to reality than $16k given the list you've provided.

JRM

-- I figured $20k, told the admiral $40k so I could be under budget and be a hero. At the end of year one of three my hero status is right out, now I'm trying to avoid "couch sleeping goat" status. If I can just get the mast back in this week and get out to the islands with the fam next week I'll survive year one :-).
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:30   #37

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Good job, JRM! Congratulations! ++

Mauritz
Old 16-07-2013, 11:22   #38

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
--- a mizzen staysail is not free flying, but is tacked down to the deck somewhere ---
My definition of a free flying sail is one that is not attached to a permanent stay. Spinnakers are tacked down to the deck, but they are still free flying.
A mizzen staysail might have its own wire or rope luff, which might make the nomenclature a bit fuzzy.
Old 16-07-2013, 11:48   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
My definition of a free flying sail is one that is not attached to a permanent stay. Spinnakers are tacked down to the deck, but they are still free flying.
A mizzen staysail might have its own wire or rope luff, which might make the nomenclature a bit fuzzy.
I guess if you include asymmetrical kites that are tacked to a prod or short sprit then yeah, some spinnakers are tacked "down to the deck". But real spinnakers and the mizzen spinnakers used by big racing ketches are not.

Guess that it really does not make much difference in the long haul what you call them...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-07-2013, 08:05   #40
cruiser

here is the most frighting thing on the yacht....

no labels, most disconnected, all corroded, and junk....

Old 19-07-2013, 08:11   #41

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Scoob! Replace everything electrical! What size wires are these? Are you rebuilding a destroyer?

Mauritz
Old 19-07-2013, 08:15   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Scoob! Replace everything electrical! What size wires are these? Are you rebuilding a destroyer?

Mauritz

well i would... if i knew what they did....
never seen a box like this on a boat before, but then how often have i pried up someones floor and had a look. i will have to sit back, take a few days to map all of this out. its been so hot that right now i get 3 hours at night, 2 in the morning to work on the deck before i nearly pass out....
Old 19-07-2013, 08:17   #43
cruiser

here is the other half, yikes.
Old 19-07-2013, 08:20   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Lol. $16k. I hit $30k at first glance at your list just for material costs. And that's assuming stuff like the windlass and refer can be rebuilt, and don't have to be replaced.

I'm in the middle of a refit of a 40' Valiant, and I am just about on budget. That is to say, I took what I thought and put it in a spreadsheet. Then I doubled it, and added a cushion. I'm only slightly over the doubled and padded amount so far. I basically do 99% of my own labor, also.

It's not only the project creep, which I mostly accounted for, it's also all the little things that add up so quickly. The one I didn't really figure would be so crazy are the fasteners. Man, decent stainless hardware won't "nickel and dime" you, it will "half dollar and dollar" you to death. For example, the rivets to reattach the mainsail track would be $300 from Port Supply, or $130 from Jamestown. While $130 is better than $300, I hadn't figured on half that. And I'm not even going to detail what the stainless screws (6 each) are going to cost to reattach the mast steps lest my wallet stroke out. And Tef-Gel. And poly sulfide. And bar-stock to fabricate a new antenna mount.

The feeling of accomplishment is awesome, and I wouldn't trade it. You can't put a price on the knowledge of your vessel you gain by doing it yourself. But I think the $36k estimate is a little closer to reality than $16k given the list you've provided.

JRM

-- I figured $20k, told the admiral $40k so I could be under budget and be a hero. At the end of year one of three my hero status is right out, now I'm trying to avoid "couch sleeping goat" status. If I can just get the mast back in this week and get out to the islands with the fam next week I'll survive year one :-).
I feel ya when it comes to fastners..I get all my fastners from a company in Fla . Called Lockwood aviation supply ,If you buy in bulk you can do ok on prices,you can get none certified A N fastners and cherry(avoset?) rivets also, good luck..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 08:20   #45

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've seen worse.......

if I had to field a guess I'd say those are leads from the house batteries to various loads. They used to be fused.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote