Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2008, 10:41   #1

Zarpe

Can someone explain what a Zarpe is and what it contains?
thx,
jj
jetjockeysails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 10:52   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
A Zarpe is simply an outbound clearance document, obtained from customs/immigration officials when you depart from a country that you have been visiting. The Hispanic nations use that term. The English islands use the term "outbound clearance". In any case, you will need the piece of paper when you clear in to the next country. It doesn't contain much info for a cruising sailboat. You're traveling "in ballast", i.e. not transporting goods or passengers.

Edit: many of the Hispanic countries require you to clear in at each port within the country and obtain a zarpe before leaving for the next in-country port. Check Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors for clearance info by country
Old 18-07-2008, 11:27   #3

Hud,
Does that also include a doc from the US, when we depart from here?
I have never sailed further than the keys, so I have not had the experience of sailing to the carrib.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 18-07-2008, 11:37   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420
Clearing out of a country is universally required. Usually, the next port of call is required. On long passages like from Europe to the Carib, the next port of call is not required so you should be able to land wherever.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 11:39   #5

thanks for the help.
jj
Old 18-07-2008, 11:53   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Clearing out of a country is universally required. Usually, the next port of call is required. On long passages like from Europe to the Carib, the next port of call is not required so you should be able to land wherever.

No need to clear out of US when sailing to Bahamas or Canada. Nor is there a requirement for clearing out of Canada or the Bahamas when returning to US.
Old 18-07-2008, 12:37   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

Edit: many of the Hispanic countries require you to clear in at each port within the country and obtain a zarpe before leaving for the next in-country port.
Does this mean being under quarantine again?

Paying fees again?

What if you don't make the "next" port or can get farther and do so?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 12:51   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Therapy,

I've never visited Hispanic countries in my boat, so that info is from Noonsite.com. My understanding that the intra-country zarpe is like a cruising permit. You get it from the port captain of the port you're leaving and then you contact the port captain in the port in which you're arriving and present him with the zarpe. But, this depends on the country. Some require it and some don't. Noonsite.com is a good place to find specifics on the individual countries.
Old 18-07-2008, 12:56   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockeysails View Post
Hud,
Does that also include a doc from the US, when we depart from here?
I have never sailed further than the keys, so I have not had the experience of sailing to the carrib.
Thanks for the advice.
Where do you plan to go? Depending on the country, you may want to get written outbound clearance from the U.S. For example, according to Noonsite, when clearing in to Mexico, "It is also advisable for US flagged vessels to have a Zarpe with a notorised crew list as some Port Captains will fine them if they do not."
Old 18-07-2008, 13:16   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Therapy,

I've never visited Hispanic countries in my boat, so that info is from Noonsite.com. My understanding that the intra-country zarpe is like a cruising permit. You get it from the port captain of the port you're leaving and then you contact the port captain in the port in which you're arriving and present him with the zarpe. But, this depends on the country. Some require it and some don't. Noonsite.com is a good place to find specifics on the individual countries.
Thanks,

I don't even have a boat yet and worry about stuff that is years (never) away!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 13:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A “Despacho" (clearance) "Zarpe" (exit clearance) is a document which shows that you have properly cleared OUT of a previous port.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 16:49   #12

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
A specific “Zarpe” in Venezuela…. and I believe in other Hispanic countries takes on a number of similar functions and normally only for national vessels. Firstly an international flagged boat will be provided with a “Permiso de Estadia para Buque extranjeo deportivo o recreativo” Basically a timed (normally six months, renewable up to eighteen months) when entering eg Venezuelan waters. As part of the “ a permission to stay/enter for a boat for recreational and sporting activities” The form has printed on it a table where arrival at and “Fecha de Zarpe” (departure dates) @ marinas and ports can be inserted.

I am part owner of a Venezuelan flagged boat and as such I must raise a zarpe each time I leave the marina (even for a dinghy ride across the bay for lunch). They are easy to obtain and in this context it is used as a safety measure as each passenger is registered and destination/route, estimated trip length,etc detailed and as such is supposed to be the first warning if not signed back in, that a problem/rescue situation may have arisen. Interesting enough no matter which dinghy I use, either the tender of the Spanish or my British flag boats I need a Zarpe ( For safety reasons)… also I am a licensed “Patron de Marina de Desportiva” (which is necessary to skipper a national flagged boat ) and I suppose the marina is just used to me doing it, so expects me to comply and list my passengers.

Different Port Captains and marinas in Venezuela and no doubt through Central/South America treat it differently regarding to compliance. However an International flagged boat is not required to do so for short day or weekend trips if returning to same marina/port, however as always with Latin American countries it is always better to enquire and comply with local desires. No charge is made in Venezuela for a Zarpe I cannot speak for other countries, but would assume the same.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 16:53   #13
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
In Colombia is just a continous agreement, no additional fees involved.

Best

JC
Old 29-07-2008, 19:24   #14

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
In Costa Rica when your about ready to leave a bar you ask for "el Zarpe" one for the road.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote