Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-03-2012, 17:02   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Your First BVI Charter

Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Pay attention during the briefing as to where you can get water (not many places and usually expensive). Saba Rock includes free water with a moorng fee.
There's actually quite a lot of places to get water and it's hardly what I'd call expensive. Often 15 cents a gallon. My wife and I spent $25 our last trip on water.

Only place we've ever had trouble getting water was Soper's Hole. I believe Great Harbour on JVD may have water now. Otherwise once you go east of Soper's on the South side of Tortola, there's a lot of options.

Nanny Cay, Road Town, (maybe Peter Island?), Hodges Creek, Marina Cay, Scrub Island, Spanish Town (VG) and a number of places in the North Sound on VG.

It is still good to conserve when possible and know what your supply is. If you have 2 tanks this is easier, 1 tank just try to keep an eye on it.

And as far as dinghy theft is concerned, I haven't seen or heard of this being a problem with charterers. Heard of a few private dinghy's being stolen, but that's it. CGB is the only place I've really seen much mention of being sure it's locked, so our last trip (6th one) we decided to visit CGB which we hadn't done yet, so we got the cable and lock (moorings/sunsail can provide this, so I'm not sure why footloose wouldn't). We locked it in CGB and Cruz Bay on St. John. I think that was it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to lock it in other locations if you'll be away from it for a while though and have the means to do so.

maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 19:46   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Your First BVI Charter

Saba Rock does include water with the price of a mooring. We took on water at Saba and it was the only place the water tasted salty. Most of Tortola's water comes from a reverse osmosis desalinization plant. Found Soper's Hole was just that. Nanny Cay was great, the water was good though not free and the showers really are the best in the Caribbean. In the North Sound I believe Leveridge Bay marina offers free water with a berth/mooring. Something I have not seen explicitly mentioned is moorings are first come, first serve and no reservations. Normally you can reserve a slip in a marina in advance, at least in the BVIs (but not in Guadeloupe where we are now). You will still need to add sanitizer (we use bleach) to the water.

KDH is offline   Reply With Quote

charter, bvi, British Virgin Islands

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: