Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 17:53   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 31
Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Hi I'm looking for good protected acreages that I can stay year round. Would Bocas del Toro be a good place? I know that it's outside the hurricane belt, would it be possible to stay there for multiple years? What other good places that have protected acreages that I can stay in one place for multiple years?
__________________

Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:23   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,456
re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Bocas and the Rio are 2 places. I would way rather be in the Rio, aside from the bus rides to and from the airport in the city,(GUA.) Where in Bocas, you could walk to the airport. Actually they are so different. The Rio is a destination, you could stay there till you die. Bocas seems likes a stopover.
__________________

Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:36   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 9,363
re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

acreage or anchorage?
Looking for land or somewhere to keep a boat?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:45   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,610
re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
acreage or anchorage?
Looking for land or somewhere to keep a boat?
There are both in Bocas...some cruisers start out in a protected anchorage and end up buying acreage.

Actually, the anchorages are better "protected"...lots of real estate with issues in Bocas.

Re protected anchorages, there are plenty in Bocas and prevailing winds are light and variable...so really most of the time you can anchor anywhere...protected or not. Like the Rio Dulce, Bocas gets plenty of rain and lightening in the rainy season...no anchorages protected from lightening.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 21:33   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 31
re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
acreage or anchorage?
Looking for land or somewhere to keep a boat?
Actually I meant anchorages, but interested in both as well! Any other good places in the world with protected anchorages year round other than Boca del Toro and Rio Dulce?? Thank you for any input!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 05:14   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,610
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Actually I meant anchorages, but interested in both as well! Any other good places in the world with protected anchorages year round other than Boca del Toro and Rio Dulce?? Thank you for any input!
Here in the W Carib, both are prime choices for extended hurricane season stays.

The Rio is in the hurricane belt, but totally encircled by mountain ranges, no hurricane has ever entered the Rio since NOAA begain tracking in the 1800's. However, you can get intense squalls there during rainy season (Ive been in squalla in the Rio gusting to about 60 knots).

Panama is generally considered out of the hurricane zone, only 2 hurricanes have ever formed in Panamanian waters. One made landfall in Panama. One just over the Costa Rica border. The later one, just a few years ago, did produce strong winds (max about 50 knts IIRC) along Panama's Atlantic coast.

During rainy season (basically the same months as hurricane season), both get heavy rain (mostly in afternoon/evening), intense squalls, and biblical lightening.

There are a couple of other popular options along Panama's Atlantic coast: Portobelo and Linton Bay.

Both Panama and Guatemala are easy for long-term stays in terms of boat paperwork and tourist visa.

Colombia is another good hurricane season option. Both Santa Marta and Cartagena are great stops. Not much of an anchorage in Santa Marta though. I dont know what Colombian policies are for longer term stays, but I do know they are more particular about boat related paperwork than either Panama or Guate.

Re acreage, be very cautious about real estate deals in Central America (Ive owned/own land in 3 CA countries), each country's laws/system are different and legal recourse is effectively nil in all. Bocas in particular has issues with clear titles, ROP land (Right of Posession)...and has the unique distinction of having had a real estate thief serial killer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dathan_Holbert
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 05:49   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Here in the W Carib, both are prime choices for extended hurricane season stays.

The Rio is in the hurricane belt, but totally encircled by mountain ranges, no hurricane has ever entered the Rio since NOAA begain tracking in the 1800's. However, you can get intense squalls there during rainy season (Ive been in squalla in the Rio gusting to about 60 knots).

Panama is generally considered out of the hurricane zone, only 2 hurricanes have ever formed in Panamanian waters. One made landfall in Panama. One just over the Costa Rica border. The later one, just a few years ago, did produce strong winds (max about 50 knts IIRC) along Panama's Atlantic coast.

During rainy season (basically the same months as hurricane season), both get heavy rain (mostly in afternoon/evening), intense squalls, and biblical lightening.

There are a couple of other popular options along Panama's Atlantic coast: Portobelo and Linton Bay.

Both Panama and Guatemala are easy for long-term stays in terms of boat paperwork and tourist visa.

Colombia is another good hurricane season option. Both Santa Marta and Cartagena are great stops. Not much of an anchorage in Santa Marta though. I dont know what Colombian policies are for longer term stays, but I do know they are more particular about boat related paperwork than either Panama or Guate.

Re acreage, be very cautious about real estate deals in Central America (Ive owned/own land in 3 CA countries), each country's laws/system are different and legal recourse is effectively nil in all. Bocas in particular has issues with clear titles, ROP land (Right of Posession)...and has the unique distinction of having had a real estate thief serial killer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dathan_Holbert
Thank you belizesailor for your awesome input! Does cartagena have safe anchorages around any good snorkeling spots? I want to stay out of marinas as much as possible!!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:50   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,610
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Thank you belizesailor for your awesome input! Does cartagena have safe anchorages around any good snorkeling spots? I want to stay out of marinas as much as possible!!
Yes, the main anchorage is near Club Nautico marina. Its designated as such on charts. They allow dingy access etc for a small fee I think. It is right in town so an easy walk from there...and Cartagena is awesome.

The anchorage is deep and crowded. Petty theft is sometimes a problem (See CSSN for details). Noonsite should have current clearance procedures/details (Ive cleared in/out at Cartagena, but not for an extended stay).

Ive not snorkelled nearby Cartegena, but there is good snorkelling at some of the islands along the coast.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:34   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,456
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

The Bay Islands of Honduras have only had 1 hurricane, (ever maybe?) As for diving etc, wowie zowie, best in the world? No doubt the best we have done. You would be in little danger and there are some great anchorages if it did get bumpy. A hurricane would have to come from the south and they don't work their way that far west over land. It would need to be an odd ball storm going in circles maybe.
Those seem like pretty good odds and it's so easy to go over to the Rio for a vacation.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 11:22   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,610
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
The Bay Islands of Honduras have only had 1 hurricane, (ever maybe?) As for diving etc, wowie zowie, best in the world? No doubt the best we have done. You would be in little danger and there are some great anchorages if it did get bumpy. A hurricane would have to come from the south and they don't work their way that far west over land. It would need to be an odd ball storm going in circles maybe.
Those seem like pretty good odds and it's so easy to go over to the Rio for a vacation.
One really memorable one, Mitch, but about 20 have passed within a 32.5 mile radius of Roatan (including some which have struck Roatan directly). The majority have come in from the E-NE.

However, there are some bights in the S side of Roatan that extended way inland that should make reasonable hurricane holes...and, as you say, the Rio is not far away.

Historic hurricane path plot attached. Grey shaded disc is 65mi diameter. Note the lack of tracks thru the Rio. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190823-131230_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	198518
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:02   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Melbourne Beach / Fl Keys
Boat: Pursuit 3070
Posts: 33
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Don't forget Panama has a 180 day limit on tourist visas. Just do like most gringos do and go to Costa for a couple days (3?) of vacation and then come back for another 180. I don't know about the Rio.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 15:03   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,610
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesspursuit View Post
Don't forget Panama has a 180 day limit on tourist visas. Just do like most gringos do and go to Costa for a couple days (3?) of vacation and then come back for another 180. I don't know about the Rio.
Yes, Panama has one of the longest duration tourist visas Ive ever encountered (6 months!) The cruising permit is for 1 year, renewable apparently without limit. Ive heard you can get a "visa marinero" which matches the duration of the cruising permit, but have never done it (now have residency, so no need). These factors make Panama an easy longer term stay option. For border runs, San Vito CR is a pleasant option. Its a small town just over the border in a scenic mountain area, settled by Italian immigrants...you can still get Italian food! Alternatively some cruisers sail to Colombia (either mainland or the islands of San Andres/Providencia....all pleasant stops too)

There are some grumblings about changing this in Panama because so many abuse it and stay here full time without getting residency. They have tightened up at the border on minimum time out of country (72 hours). Used to you could hop over to CR for lunch and come back with a new visa.

Guatemala is a 90 days tourist visa. Its been a while since I cleared in/out by boat, but it used to be an initial 90 days for the boat then extendable/renewable up to 1 year, not sure if thats still the case (Ecos should know). Boat must leave the country after the extension expires, but can return and get a new cruising permit. Guatemala is part of the CA4 treaty which also includes Honduars, El Salvador, Nicaragua. So technically its a visa for all CA4 countries and you must leave the CA4 and return for a new visa...in actual practice it varies considerably depending on which border you are crossing.

Residency is also easy in both Guatemala and Panama...if you really want to stick around long term.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 15:28   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,456
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

In Guatemala, you usually get the 90 day permit and then a 9 month extension. Or if you know what you are doing, a full year up front. Not sure about this, but people are getting away with going shopping in San Pedro Sula, Honduras and getting the stamp in their passport. Cause, all immigration looks for at the airport, is the last stamp into Guatemala. If you get caught, they charge $2 US per day that you stayed over.
Back to the Bay Islands. The bights along the south shores would need a storm to come from the W or SW to make them untenable. That would be supernatural. So if there has only been one Hurricane so far and that from the NE, it sounds pretty good.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 16:25   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,610
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
In Guatemala, you usually get the 90 day permit and then a 9 month extension. Or if you know what you are doing, a full year up front. Not sure about this, but people are getting away with going shopping in San Pedro Sula, Honduras and getting the stamp in their passport. Cause, all immigration looks for at the airport, is the last stamp into Guatemala. If you get caught, they charge $2 US per day that you stayed over.
Back to the Bay Islands. The bights along the south shores would need a storm to come from the W or SW to make them untenable. That would be supernatural. So if there has only been one Hurricane so far and that from the NE, it sounds pretty good.
Good to know not much has changed in Guate...its been 90 + 9 for a long time. I am so looking forward to getting back there for a visit soon!

Agree on the Bay Islands, way up one of the bights (like Calabash which extends about 1nm inland) seems like a good option if caught there. Id still rather be on the Rio.

Mitch was one of the most unatural hurricanes on record, its like it was deliberately trying to do all the things 'canes are not supposed to do. Its remnants even circumnavigated the Rio area like it was trying to find a way in...it failed.

Re immigration, yes many make a border run to Honduras and get a new stamp...thats all fine and good until someone looks a little closer. We used to make regular road trips to Honduras for that reason. In El Slavador they dont (or at least didnt) play that game...they will (would) send you back to Guate of all they saw was a series of CA4 stamps...did that to us once to us...and Guate promptly gave us a new visa stamp!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 10:43   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

How about places like Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, Bonaire, Grenada, and Trinidad and Tobago. I hear these islands to the south and west are least likely to be affected by hurricanes would they be good places to stay year round as well? Any and all advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!
__________________

Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Panama, rot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neophyte from Bocas del Toro, Panama txherper Meets & Greets 5 25-08-2011 21:13
Rioting in Bocas Del Toro, Panama mandlmaunder Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 10-07-2010 16:11
Loma Partida or Bocas del Toro Panama Bill Burgette Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 26-12-2008 09:19

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.