Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 11:55   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 36
Wish to winter in Caribbean

I am planning to winter in the Caribbean in the US Virgin Islands. I would like to get a slip or mooring from mid November to March 1st. What should I expect to pay for a slip for a 54 ft yacht with a 6 ft draft. I would like to have access to shore power, water and fuel. I can settle for a mooring since the yacht is equipped with generator. Do you have any recommendations?
KHJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 21:42   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Wish to winter in Caribbean

Why don't you do what we do when looking for a winter marina - we research the area and find the marinas there and email them and ask - called research
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 21:52   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

[QUOTE=chuckr;2723358]Why don't you do what we do when looking for a winter marina - we research the area and find the marinas there and email them and ask - called research[/QUOTE

Why? The purpose of forums is to ask questions not be treated like crap for asking. Relax Chuck! Go have a beer and watch the sunset rather than be an @$$!
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 22:54   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

[QUOTE=ShellBack89;2723361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Why don't you do what we do when looking for a winter marina - we research the area and find the marinas there and email them and ask - called research[/QUOTE

Why? The purpose of forums is to ask questions not be treated like crap for asking. Relax Chuck! Go have a beer and watch the sunset rather than be an @$$!
He's asking for recommendations, as in other peoples experience and knowledge. I'm sure he's pretty capable of getting information. If you don't have an opinion, or don't want to share, just don't answer. Pretty simple...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:03   #5

Agreeeed! If your goal is to reprimand folks for asking a question, go away! Too much hate in this world. People are asking for opinions cause they think the opinion may be beneficial. Dah?
elittke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJackson View Post
I am planning to winter in the Caribbean in the US Virgin Islands. I would like to get a slip or mooring from mid November to March 1st. What should I expect to pay for a slip for a 54 ft yacht with a 6 ft draft. I would like to have access to shore power, water and fuel. I can settle for a mooring since the yacht is equipped with generator. Do you have any recommendations?
Your looking at 1k and up per month. American Yacht Harbor at Red Hook, Crown Bay Charlotte Amalie and Sapphire Resort and Independent Marina.

Also suggest Puerto del Rey in Puerto Rico definitely the best Marina out there and suffered very little damage after the hurricane. Even though the news has little reporting on USVI they are still struggling.
sailorsdittybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:41   #7

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

[QUOTE=ShellBack89;2723361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Why don't you do what we do when looking for a winter marina - we research the area and find the marinas there and email them and ask - called research[/QUOTE

People are here because they want to drum up conversations about sailing, etc. Simple.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 10:09   #8

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Wish to winter in Caribbean

Wintering in the Carib cannot be better than in Green Cay Marina, St Croix. Easy sail to the BVI, St Thomas, St John, and the Spanish VI. I have a 51.4 Bene in the Marina. Came to visit from Curacao after doing the Leeward/Windward circle, and going on 3 years now there in the GCM. Cost is $1 K/month in a resort marina. Good people, we'd love to have you visit.
Ernie on the Mary Jane.

P.S. I have no business interests in the Marina. Its just how I feel about this.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 14:20   #9

Boat: Outbound 46

We also had a pleasant stay in Green Cay Marina on St. Croix. The marina is fine, not particulary convenient to shopping or dining options though. St. Croix is one of the absolute best islands in terms of getting to grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. But you may need to rent a car.

Red Hook on St. Martin is also very pleasant, but a slow slog into Charlotte Amalie.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 00:00   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

In 11 years underway we have wintered/hurricane over in places from the Western Carib to the Eastern Med. We have had others tell us go here or there and we say ok and that is it.
We have always done our research first - who what when where why how - even going so far as contacting each -- THEN - we ask for recommendations and see how they compare with our research -- if we just go with recommendations and we have had a lot we would have stayed over in places that we would never have wanted to as we visited them later -
we listen to recommendations only half heartedly - if we did listen we would have never gone to Albania (one of the first boats to go) sailed the entire Black Sea including Russia, hurricane over in southern Panama -
But if we had listened we would have wintered over in marinas that folks think are simply delightful but are in the middle of nowhere, did not meet our requirements, but were cheap -
Before we wintered over in Turkey we looked at 11-12 marinas - we contacted them all and got prices and did more research - THEN we asked about the ones that we were interested in before we made our decision with our set of priorities -
What is the posters priorities? Cost, in water out of water, close to town-far from town, amenities, and a bunch more questions -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 07:45   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

We've had our boat in the NE Caribb for the past 4 yrs. We sail/travel during the winter months (Nov-May), avoiding the marinas as much as we can. They're expensive, and the anchoring is free except for the dink ride to/from. We've used Marina Del Rey, in Fajardo, PR, to haul out and leave our boat during the summer/fall season-highly recommend you give them a look.....not cheap, but a safe, quality operation! All seem to offer some cost reductions if you sign a multiple month contract-summer or winter-but they're still spendy (we think). There are some moorings around, but almost all are private.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 07:53   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Thanks for info. Have any idea about price range of Mooring in PR?
KHJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:00   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

We've never seen any moorings in PR....only in the USVI and BVI. We've never come across an available mooring for long-term rent, but we've paid $15-$30/nite for short-term mooring use. I think the long term mooring rentals (Red Hook, and across from Crown Bay Marina) are hard to come by, unless you know somebody!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib