Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2018, 00:37   #1

Wintering over in the AICW

Hello, I'planning to pass through the ICW coming from the Caribbean in summer/autumn to arrive in New England/Nova Scotia next spring. Therefore I need a place for wintering over somewhere along the ICW. It should be without subcero temperatures if possible, so I think not further north than North Carolina. I would prefer an anchorage to a marina, since I'm self sufficient with water, heating, and electricity. It should be not too far away from the next store or supermarket. Do You have suggestions?
Thank You very much
Norbert
mariner-dovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 04:33   #2

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse
Re: Wintering over in the AICW

Being from North Carolina, and growing up at Wrightsville Beach, the Wrightsville Beach sound would be quite handy. They allow 30 days mooring, and there's plenty to do in the area.
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 06:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Norbert,

Do you mean subzero Celsius or Fahrenheit? If Celsius then you will need to stay in Florida. Even north Florida (where I live) will get cold in the winter. This morning the temperature was about -7 C.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 00:38   #4

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that there is a draft of 180cm (6') and a mast of 22m (66'). Occasional frost in the night doesn't matter, but I'd like to avoid weeks or months with temperatures below 0°C, so that water is completely freezing over.
Greetings
Norbert
Old 20-01-2018, 03:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wintering over in the AICW

I've wintered in both Oriental and Taylors Creek, Beaufort on the hook.
Beaufort one used to be able to get a free car for a couple of hours to go across the bridge to Moorehead City to visit the supermarkets.. don't know if that's still going..
Oriental has an anchorage near the Town Dock behind the breakwater and the supermarket is a nice 1mile walk up the road.. both pleasant little towns.
While there were a couple of times it snowed it was not bad in the main.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 03:40   #6

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)

Harbors don't completely freeze over pretty far north because salt water has a lower freezing temp. That said, staying further south will be relatively comfortable. I've considered overwintering as far north as Martha's Vineyard, but we choose Georgia one year and loved it. Lots of birds overwinter there if you like that. The barrier islands are beautiful. Anchorages with good shore access take a bit of hunting, though. Anywhere you go mast height and draft may limit your choices a bit.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 05:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner-dovb View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention, that there is a draft of 180cm (6') and a mast of 22m (66'). Occasional frost in the night doesn't matter, but I'd like to avoid weeks or months with temperatures below 0°C, so that water is completely freezing over.
Greetings
Norbert

Hi Norbert,

The 6' draft won't be a problem but the 66' mast will. The ICW is officially rated for 64'. Bridges in large commercial ports will be higher but most harbors you will be limited to the area you can reach without passing under a bridge.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

The Intracoastal in Palm Beach County has quite a few good anchorages and even down here it can get chilly in January and February. Your mast height is going to be a problem. A few years ago, traveling south from Norfolk,with a mast height of 65 feet, we cleared the first half dozen bridges, each one visually an imminent collision, and at the bridge near Pungo, going very slowly and not breathing, had all of the gear on the masthead wiped off - light, anemometer, antenna, etc. It all bounced on the deck before proceeding into the water - another inch and I hope we would have come to a dead stop with the mast still up.

You may have to go outside. Good luck

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:56   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Cape Fear River Channel between Southport and Wilmington has many anchoring possibilities, even for your draft, and no bridges until you get to Wilmington. I believe Beaufort (NC) City Docks still has the loaner car (they did last year).
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 13:11   #10

Thank You very much for your hints and suggestions.
The very top of my mast ist the SW-Antenna, it is quite flexible. In case this would not work, I could either take it down or try this: (no fun, I think this really works). Without antenna the height is less than 64', this should do in any case!
Greetings
Norbert
Old 20-01-2018, 17:00   #11

Boat: O'Day 34

This looks like the Indian St bridge in Palm City, FL on the Okeechobee Waterway. We had to do the same thing to get back under the bridge after Hurricane Irma. The high water levels brought the clearance down to ~52'. Word to the wise; make sure that your ballast (water weights) are not too high above the water because your heel won't stop until the ballast touches the water.
This could be a real problem. It had me worried as the heel kept increasing rapidly until the ballast touched the water.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 22:39   #12

Hello Quadrille in JB, since You've done it, I have some Questions. I will take a "big bag" which is holding about one ton of water, and folding quite small when empty. How You start this, especially the first tilt ? Can You do ist alone? Do You keep filling the big bag by pump? How do You determine the precise hight of bridge in cases of high water? How You know You will get through? How long takes the whole business?
Thank You very much
Norbert
Old 22-01-2018, 03:47   #13

Boat: O'Day 34

Norbert,
I used 2-55 gal plastic drums sitting on the outside of the deck. Connected them to halyards using spare lines. The bridges in the ICW have a sign at water level at the end of the bumpers showing the current clearance of the bridge.
We got the heel started by pushing the drums out with a boat hook. Later, I determined we could do this by making a turn which swung the drums out board. A turn in the opposite direction swings them back inboard and straightens the boat back up right Make sure that you don't start with your weight too high or your heel could be the last one your boat ever makes.
I would not recommend doing this alone. Someone needs to stand by the winches to adjust the height if necessary.
There are companies long the ICW which do this on a routine basis. I know that Indiantown marina has a crew to help get your boat under the fixed 48 foot railroad bridge. I have also heard there's a crew that does this In Vero Beach.
Good luck, and it's not as scary as it sounds. Just the first heel, until everything stabilizes
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 04:47   #14

Hello Quadrille in JB, this looks sensible. I will be prepared!
Thank You very much
Norbert
Old 22-01-2018, 13:54   #15

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

We're wintering in Beaufort, NC. There is one drawbridge (being removed in the next year) that will let you into Town Creek area behind Beaufort. We're in the Beaufort Yacht Basin and have seen a number of large sailboats spend a good amount of time on the hook out here. There's room just west of Town Creek Marina, with good depth. Uber services the area pretty well.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw