Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2010, 10:37   #1

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Wintering in the Canary Islands / Madeira

Just wondered if there is anyone with up to date knowledge about these areas as some friends are heading that way from Turkey in 2011 and having stayed in Portugal and Spain would like to spend winter in either the Canary Islands or Madeira.

Thanks

Old 17-12-2010, 10:53   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I would not recommend Madiera for the winter... this video's 9mths old but the Islands been battered again twice in the last month... not as bad.. but bad enough to stop flights...
Funchal Marina was trashed....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 12:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
The Canaries are nice for the winter--there will be some fairly strong winds at time, but it is a lot nicer than further north.
Old 17-12-2010, 15:35   #4
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Canaries are very nice during the winter did some nice sailing in January a couple of years ago. The odd storm blows through but most of the time it's a pleasant 20-26. Degrees C good marinas in all the islands good facilities in the main island capitals cheap food, good restaurants and bars etc. And it's a VAT free

Dave
Old 17-12-2010, 16:06   #5

I have windsurfed in the Canaries and I can tell you the trade winds can blow pretty good in the winter. Check you can get a nice sheltered berth!
Old 17-12-2010, 22:34   #6
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer
I have windsurfed in the Canaries and I can tell you the trade winds can blow pretty good in the winter. Check you can get a nice sheltered berth!
There are wind acceleration zones around the canaries that can give that impression and the odd storm blows through but the canaries are a massive European winter sun destination and there's a reason for that.

Anyway the harbour infrastructure is generally excellent , good marinas in San sebastion de la gomera , puerto mogan in grand canaria, puerto calero in lanzarote as well as in the capitals on grand canaria ( las palmas) and Tenerife( Santa cruz) (though avoid arreciffe on lanza , though Santa cruz is a little industrial and did get beat up in a recent storm. Las palmas is probably best , but I prefer San Sebastion on gomera, better micro climate, Marina right slap in the middle of town , less sophisticated then the bigger islands and cheaper too. Stayed in the Marina a few times. Nice

Dave
Old 17-12-2010, 22:52   #7
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

BUT....!!! if they're running late.... Madiera's a gorgeous place when the weathers good

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 05:00   #8

Boat: Davies 169'10"
Mixed feelings

We arrived mid December at Las Palmas, weather is much nicer here than the Med. The problems we have encountered is theft of property and the attitude of "soakem for as much money as you can" mentallity from the merchants. Our 3 "Cannondale" bikes were stolen even though they were chained down and the dock is a "gated access". We have them on our security cameras but no luck with the "dock police" or the police.
Overall, I like this place but it has a long way to go to meet what I would consider acceptable standards.
Old 26-12-2010, 09:47   #9
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

try the marina in SAn sebastion on Gomera. much nicer ( if you can get a place). Both Las palmas and snata Cruz suffer somewhat from the issues you mention , though I was there two years ago and had nothing stolen.

Dave

Tags
Canaries, Madeira

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: