Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2014, 18:00   #31
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which is cheaper, cruising the Med or the Caribbean$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Dave,
Are you telling us that you think the sailing is equal or better in the Med? Seldom do I disagree with you but here would. Once the trades set in you can reliably sail every day, all day. Quite the opposite in the Med as we tend to have no wind all day except a 3 hour window in the afternoon when we would prefer to already be anchored or moored.

I've only had about 120 days on the water in the Med but would estimate that of those, only 15 where great, long distance sailing days where we went "wow, that was kick a$$".

I'd still choose to motor-sail there any day though.

It depends on what you want. I mean with the family I chartered around the USVI and the BVI. a lot of the time we had variable winds rather like the med. Yet in turkey one year we had lovely winds.

Out sailing with the lads , down the carribean chain, much more reliable and stronger winds. Great sailing with the boys.

Dave

Old 25-02-2014, 18:02   #32
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Which is cheaper, cruising the Med or the Caribbean$

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitrob View Post
My word, I did not expect such full and plentiful answers. thankyou everyone.

So, I deduce that my assumption is not correct because it depends on where in the Med one is chartering from. It would seem from the comments that Greece and Turkey are possibly less expensive than the more north eastern area. As a further detail, could I ask for your thoughts on which parts of the Med you consider to be, shall we say, more affordable.

Very hard question to answer. The main issue is are you going to use marinas. That's where most of the cost. Food costs etc are generally similar around the European med , getting a little cheaper the further east you go.

Dave

Old 27-02-2014, 02:08   #33

Boat: Beneteau 461

Being from Europe and doing quite some sailing in Med, I prefer Carribean any day. Cost? The same, no big difference. You can spend a lot in fancy restaurants or ear like locals in both places. Winds? They change a lot, but no trade winds in Med. Med has colder water, not much fish. If you are like me and you like to anchor in quiet bay with beautiful sandy beach and palm trees, and jump in warm tropical waters to say hallo to fish, there is only 1 choice-Carribean
Old 27-02-2014, 11:42   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSummerWind View Post
Being from Europe and doing quite some sailing in Med, I prefer Carribean any day. Cost? The same, no big difference. You can spend a lot in fancy restaurants or ear like locals in both places. Winds? They change a lot, but no trade winds in Med. Med has colder water, not much fish. If you are like me and you like to anchor in quiet bay with beautiful sandy beach and palm trees, and jump in warm tropical waters to say hallo to fish, there is only 1 choice-Carribean
Disclaimer: never been to the Med

One factor in the cost of cruising is how often you are able to anchor, jump in the water, catch a few lobster or spear/catch a mutton snapper and cook it. On some of the cost of cruising threads I have seen folks budget a couple of hundred dollars a week for alcohol. Nothing wrong with that but for someone like me who does not drink it is way more than my food budget.

A lot of the posts in this thread seem to view things like going ashore and seeing interesting things and eating gourmet food as positive aspects of cruising. Nothing wrong with that but others view anchoring in a remote place and getting away from it all as the positive aspects of cruising. Both are enjoyable activities and if you like the first go to the Med, if you like the second go to the Caribbean.
Old 27-02-2014, 12:01   #35
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Having sailed a fair bit of both places. I remain a fan of the med

The impression is always given in the med, that its a crowded place. In reality, its a huge area and generally avoiding the high season ( August ) you can easily find bays on your own or one or two boats. Especially after 5:30 pm.

In the BVI for example , at Christmas its busier then the med ever was.

I wasn't talking about gourmet food. I was talking about ordinary cheap local foods. In the med , that means superb food , In the carribean ordinary food is burgers or jerk chicken etc. World of difference.

Both places offer fine dining if you pay for it.

I found the carribean waters colder then the med in places. But yes fish life is very abundant I'm the carribean. But very few charters have the time , experience or inclination to fish in my experience.

Most moor on the bouys and hit the bars.

Dave
Old 27-02-2014, 12:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Having sailed a fair bit of both places. I remain a fan of the med

Dave
You like the Med. You don't really care for the Caribbean. Got it. Would you like to post that again, because we're wondering if you might change your mind.

I'm a big fan of both, for different reasons. The Caribbean has a different feel, for sure, and I prefer the sailing there. I always seem to spend more in Europe, but maybe it's just because I can't pass up the tourist traps...
Old 27-02-2014, 18:11   #37
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You like the Med. You don't really care for the Caribbean. Got it. Would you like to post that again, because we're wondering if you might change your mind.

It's an Internet forum , where one repeatedly restates ones position in the vain hope of converting all the forum members to their idea

Don't get me wrong, I liked the sailing and the sea life in the carribean. The 10 hour flights not so much. And after a few deliveries they really get up your nostrils.

Dave
Old 27-02-2014, 19:30   #38

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Caribbean for sailing conditions.
The med for the food.
Caribbean for marinas and moorings, and even anchorages.
The med for the vast cultures and huge wide choice for wonderfull places.
Caribbean in terms of marina fees is cheaper no doubt.
Fish life ,the caribbean if you want to snorkel or scuba dive, the med won in terms of sea life in general, and the fishing is better.
Local cultures the med for a wide berth, caribbean suck in this matter.
Supermarkets . The med no doubt,
Custom and inmigration: the med won in myopinion.
Weather? Caribbean , in the med is calm or is blowing like hell, not always.
Expensive? The med can be preety expensive and the Caribbean to, is up to you and your budget.
Old 02-03-2014, 16:06   #39

To all of you who answered my query and helped us make a decision, many thanks.
I have bundled all the comments together and reached my simple conclusion - The Med is better on land and the Caribbean better on the water. I know you cannot be too simplistic but that in a nutshell and without dissecting it all to bits is my summation.

and where are we going? - BVI in June.

why? - We really like hoisting the sails and sailing in consistent balmy breezes. We like cruising into a remote bay and throwing down the pick without hassles. We like snorkelling. And most of all we like lots of swimming. On balance we felt that the BVI ticks these boxes a little easier than the Med.

Three weeks sailing the BVI?. sounds okay to us. cant wait.
Old 02-03-2014, 16:55   #40

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitrob View Post
and where are we going? - BVI in June.

why? - We really like hoisting the sails and sailing in consistent balmy breezes. We like cruising into a remote bay and throwing down the pick without hassles. We like snorkelling. And most of all we like lots of swimming. On balance we felt that the BVI ticks these boxes a little easier than the Med.

Three weeks sailing the BVI?. sounds okay to us. cant wait.
If that's what you want and you're from NZ, why not head to Australia (say the Whitsunday's)? It would be much less expensive (especially the airfares) and the snorkelling and reefs are way better than I've seen in the Caribbean.
Old 02-03-2014, 17:01   #41
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Which is Cheaper, Cruising the Med or the Caribbean$

3 weeks in the bvi , I suppose you could sail up and down Drake Channel a dozen times or something.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2014, 18:17   #42

Fozrunner, we have done Whitsundays and really enjoyed it. Will go back one no doubt.
goboatingnow, yea sailing up and down the drake channel 20 times could get a bit tiresome. With 3 weeks we had intended to sail to StCroix and St Martins and Anguilla however do you think this is a bit too little. We like sailing but it is nice to have some time doing day treks and going nowhere.
Old 02-03-2014, 19:19   #43

Three weeks is plenty of time to venture further afield. St Martin is usually an overnight sail. Make sure you discuss extended itinerary with charter companies. Some have more limits.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47   #44

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

BVI in june is fine, 3 weeks you got plenty of time, the weather is normally fantastic, i mean its a easy destination, 3 weeks maybe is a lot for the whole BVI but if you get a 10 15 SE window, cross to St Marteen, the way back is easy, and judge by yourself so next time you can book in the med and see the diference... enjoy your charter!!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:08   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

You could spend a few days in the Spanish Virgins for a complete change of pace.

Tags
Caribbean, cheap, cruising, rib, caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: