Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 05:49   #16
cruiser

Re: Which is cheaper, cruising the Med or the Caribbean$

Overall, we find cruising in the Med to be a much more enjoyable experience offering much better food, interesting places to see and pleasant people. The Caribbean is a place we enjoy more aboard a cruise ship, in order to have better food, and retain some distance from the annoying vendors.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 06:11   #17

I've spent a lot of time in both places, both on and off a boat. I like both, for different reasons. I like the food and stylish cities in the Med. I like the beautiful islands, lower population, and "freedom" of the Caribbean. Yes, the local poor people in the Caribbean don't have the privileges and social services of the wealthier European coastline, and yes the vendors are annoying -- you'll see some poverty in the Caribbean.

I spent some time on cruise ships as well, but those aren't really my favorite, as they separate you from the realities (even if they're sometimes unpleasant) of the places you are visiting.

The very fact that people are on here arguing that the Med "can be" inexpensive if you eat pizza tells you what the reality is. But it's probably worth comparing chartering rates for the time of year you want to go, and thinking about the kind of vacation you're looking for.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 06:25   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The very fact that people are on here arguing that the Med "can be" inexpensive if you eat pizza tells you what the reality is. But it's probably worth comparing chartering rates for the time of year you want to go, and thinking about the kind of vacation you're looking for.

I just picked that because you don't have top spend a fortune to get good food in the Med, equally in many Med countries lunch can be had for €6-8 , dinner for under €15. The difference being that elsewhere in the world a €6 lunch is processed crap.

I certainly found that the typical 3 course "dinner" was very expensive in the Carribean, the alternatives all appeared to be Western and American "fast" food like burgers, crappy mass produced pizza.

Of course if you want to go ashore and have fine dining, the Med is expensive, even if the food is good,

But I mean , I know a superb seafood restuarnet in Beaulieu in France , just above the the railway line, 10 mins from the marina that had fabulous set menus.

Equally Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, good food can be had reasonably. Drink can of course be expensive in restaurants and bars, especially beers, Buy those in the supermarkets. Supermarkets are very reasonable for stocking up etc.

I think people get the wrong impression of the Med, from encounters with mega tourist spots like Majorica, Croatia etc in the height of the season

Eat where the locals eat, not the tourists, Always go back one or two streets from the marinas/tourist areas, search of the cafe, little bar etc. A shot of expresso for €0.50 ( always stand at the bar =cheaper) and a croissant = heaven.

All I'm doing is annoying myself now……
Old 25-02-2014, 07:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Drink can of course be expensive in restaurants and bars, especially beers, Buy those in the supermarkets. Supermarkets are very reasonable for stocking up etc.

Eat where the locals eat, not the tourists, Always go back one or two streets from the marinas/tourist areas, search of the cafe, little bar etc.
This is, of course, true everywhere. Locals always know where to get decent food at a good price, and it's almost never in the tourist center, though it may not be too far.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:44   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Another factor to consider is the quality of the sailing. I'd take the Caribbean over the Motorterranean if that is important to you.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:10   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Another factor to consider is the quality of the sailing. I'd take the Caribbean over the Motorterranean if that is important to you.
Now that is very true. And where you go. I really like the BVI's - Fun.
Old 25-02-2014, 08:51   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Having lived in the eastern Caribbean for a total of eight years, I found my experience to be in large part the opposite of what goboatingnow has posted. In this thread and numerous others, he seems to have a very negative impression of the Caribbean. I'm not sure why our experience was so different from his, but we truly loved the islands, the people we met and got to know there, and, yes, even the food. The wine, not so much, except on the French islands.

I think your experience when cruising anywhere will be largely what you make it to be.
Old 25-02-2014, 10:51   #23

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Cheap? Go to Med during winter and to Carib summers
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 10:56   #24

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Having lived in the eastern Caribbean for a total of eight years, I found my experience to be in large part the opposite of what goboatingnow has posted. In this thread and numerous others, he seems to have a very negative impression of the Caribbean. I'm not sure why our experience was so different from his, but we truly loved the islands, the people we met and got to know there, and, yes, even the food. The wine, not so much, except on the French islands.

I think your experience when cruising anywhere will be largely what you make it to be.
Wine? Who needs wine in the Caribbean when the rum is cheaper than water?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 11:52   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

What is the basis for that comment

Dave
Old 25-02-2014, 11:57   #26
Nearly an old salt

Which is cheaper, cruising the Med or the Caribbean$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

My experience in the carribean was generally positive. However I found boating in a third world country that overlays a first world tourism not particulary nice. Also particularly in places like the BVI at Christmas , it feels a bit like a " spring break " outing.

As to sailing , we found lots of swell but little wind in the BVI. In other Islands better sailing but too advanced for many charters.

Dave
Old 25-02-2014, 12:30   #27

Boat: Seadog 30

An interesting thread this.

I would be interested in reading a 2 sentence summary of cruising in Croatia, Greece & Turkey.
I see a couple of people have said Croatia has become very expensive
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:40   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

2 sentence summary of Greece:

Depending on where you go there are plentiful free anchorages with affordable tavernas within dinghy/walking distance. Good sailing as long as you don't set yourself a time schedule that is too tight.
Old 25-02-2014, 14:12   #29

Boat: Townson Talent MkII 36

My word, I did not expect such full and plentiful answers. thankyou everyone.

So, I deduce that my assumption is not correct because it depends on where in the Med one is chartering from. It would seem from the comments that Greece and Turkey are possibly less expensive than the more north eastern area. As a further detail, could I ask for your thoughts on which parts of the Med you consider to be, shall we say, more affordable.
kitrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:26   #30
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What is the basis for that comment

Dave
Dave,
Are you telling us that you think the sailing is equal or better in the Med? Seldom do I disagree with you but here would. Once the trades set in you can reliably sail every day, all day. Quite the opposite in the Med as we tend to have no wind all day except a 3 hour window in the afternoon when we would prefer to already be anchored or moored.

I've only had about 120 days on the water in the Med but would estimate that of those, only 15 where great, long distance sailing days where we went "wow, that was kick a$$".

I'd still choose to motor-sail there any day though.

Tags
Caribbean, cheap, cruising, rib, caribbean