Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2010, 08:32   #1

Where to Store a 28' Sailboat in Melbourne, FL

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my parents a 28' Catalina Sailboat but need to know where I can dock it.

My Dad says that it is legal to anchor in the Eau Gally river if you are out of the channel. Is this accurate?

Does anyone know of a cheap place to dock it? I really want to get them this sailboat for their retirement but they (nor I) can afford much for a monthly marina fee.

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Melb4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 08:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 26
Unless you plan to live on it, or actively use it every day, then leaving it on a hook in the river wouldn't be a wise choice. How do you plan to use it? Why not get a smaller, trailerable boat?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:02   #3

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
if you are going to anchor out, anchor it in the banana river north of mathers brige...great all weather protection and good holding. 2 anchors recommended...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:13   #4

The boat is essentially being given to me by a friend. I need to pay to get a few things fixed (generator, cosmetics, etc) but its too good of a deal to pass up. I just dont want to get into monthly payments at a marina.

Is it normal for people to anchor their boat in the Banana River? I assume this is legal then.

Thanks for all the help so far. Greatly appreciated.
Melb4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 12:50   #5

Boat: Endeavour, 43 - Lorelei
Why not put it on the hard? The amount of time it will be in the brackish water of either the Banana or Indian Rivers will necessitate a bottom job, your prop will be fouled and lord knows what else!!! Unless you are living on it, storing it in the water (this small size) is not recommended! Find a yard where you can haul and store! Our experience is that most of the boats "bought with good intentions and left at anchor" tend to "rot at anchor".
Endeavour 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:35   #6

Boat: O'Day 28
Ditto to all above from several years in Melbourne. Even (never cheap) marina dockage along the waterway isn't without nuisance/danger... can be quite rough.

Sometimes even free is too much to pay for a boat. And after that nothing is free. There must be a hundred or more neglected/abandoned dreamboats more or less afloat along the stretch from Melbourne to Ft Pierce alone.

Maintenance needs will be multiplied in the water compared to the dirt. Add the inconvenience or outright hassle of having to dinghy out to the boat and you have a recipe for neglect.

Take a drive to any haulout facility anywhere and count the broken dreams.

Enthusiasm is a fragile thing.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 07:53   #7

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
A less expensive option might me renting a dock from behind someones house along the canals. There are always posting on craigslist. With your size boat and as long as it does not look as if it is in disrepair this could be a good option. Also, there are docks just north of Mathers bridge that are part of the condos there. The slips are less expensive than any of the local marinas as there are no services provided and they do not require insurance. If you need a contact number-just PM me.

Good luck with your new project. As a previous owner of two catalinas-I wish you as much fun as we had in the river. I would really hate to see another boat to be left to deteriorate on the hook in our river.