Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 09:46   #1

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Where to keep boat?

We are in the process of purchasing (if it all works out) a 34 ft beauty in the BVI. If it works out, we will take possession of her in May and take a couple to three weeks to go play around a bit in May. Then we have to return to California and take care of finalizing certain things here at home before moving down to the Caribbean onto our boat along with buying a few things we want to add to the boat. We figure we will go back and forth between here and there a couple times between May and Christmas when we plan to move down there mostly.

My question is what is the best way and place to store her while we're here in California. I read about people having slips for around $500 a month but when I call around I get prices like $1.40 per foot per day. That comes out to over $1400 a month. I'm good with dry storage, slip or mooring. Where could we sail her in May that would be a reasonable place to keep her? Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc?

Thanks
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:13   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Where to keep boat?

I have a mooring in the VI you could use. I sent you a PM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to keep boat?

And after you've found somewhere.. find out where your insurance says you can keep it.. June 1st is the usual cut off for many places.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 12:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Boatie's insurance point it very valid.

I think maybe when you were calling around, you were getting transient rates maybe? You did point out you would be staying for months?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 12:24   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisM View Post
We are in the process of purchasing (if it all works out) a 34 ft beauty in the BVI. If it works out, we will take possession of her in May and take a couple to three weeks to go play around a bit in May. Then we have to return to California and take care of finalizing certain things here at home before moving down to the Caribbean onto our boat along with buying a few things we want to add to the boat. We figure we will go back and forth between here and there a couple times between May and Christmas when we plan to move down there mostly.

My question is what is the best way and place to store her while we're here in California. I read about people having slips for around $500 a month but when I call around I get prices like $1.40 per foot per day. That comes out to over $1400 a month. I'm good with dry storage, slip or mooring. Where could we sail her in May that would be a reasonable place to keep her? Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc?

Thanks
In the same circumstances, I'd put the boat up on the hard at Nanny Cay once finished with her in May/June and leave her there, tied down and secure, until November. Then re-launch her and use her from late November/early December through the following June.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 04:44   #6

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

If you are looking at the USVI option then I'd suggest a slip or on the hard at Independent Boatyard/Compass Pt Marina. You will find their rates for your 34' much less than $1000/month. The slip next to me at IBY is open and should be well under $600/month for a boat your size.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 06:17   #7

An "off the curve" Idea is to bring the boat west a bit to Puerto Rico - The Fajardo area.....My brother has had a boat in Fajardo for 12 years and finds it to be a very good value . Puerto Del Ray is the largest Marina you will find within 200 miles & they have been offering surprising prices (good) to fill slips. There is also a small marina on Isletta island, just off of Fajardo, that has decent slip rates since they are 1/2 full. Lots of folks around who will work reasonably on a boat.....

Another benefit is that costs in Puerto Rico for materials are often less, and airfare to San Juan is usually a decent value from the USA.

It's a day from the USVI to Puerto Rico.... following winds - usually....beam reach....easy sailing.
boatsnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Some marinas in the BVI, Village Cay, in particular, have a discounted rate for hurricane season for those keeping the boat there for several months. I think it's around $18 per foot and each boat gets a double slip, whether it's a cat or mono. Village Cay has never lost a boat in a hurricane, and my insurance has no qualms about it, at all. Ashore, as has been mentioned, there is Nanny Cay, but for a monohull, Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor, in Spanish Town, is even more protected. Insurance companies like both. Of course, if you are on the hard, you don't get to sail in some of the most pleasant weather we get here.

In Puerto Rico, Marina del Rey has dry storage, as well as wet. If things go wrong, though, they aren't the best at taking responsibility. Sun Bay is a very well run marina, reasonable, just north of MDR, also in Fajardo, but some of the slips are less well protected than others. For what it is worth, Puerto del Rey has suffered huge damage from direct hits (tough circumstances in any marina) in the past. They have beefed it up, however. A little bit down the coast is Palmas del Mar, very nice, part of a resort with great golf, also well protected. Long ride from the airport, however.

If you are planning on coming and going, you will probably be wanting to use your boat so in the water may be your best bet. Make sure to ask for a monthly or seasonal rate, not the transient one.

By the way, depending upon which company you are purchasing your boat from, and if it is a charter boat being phased out, don't think for one minute it will be ready when promised. Have a plan B, and don't invite friends and family along at the beginning. You will be under huge pressure from them to accept the boat before it is done, and it will cost you a bundle in the long run. Patience is the key here.

Good luck.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:14   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

I look after owners' boats in Road Town but its not a good dock for hurricanes - I have to shift them which is a pita....Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 10:42   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
In the same circumstances, I'd put the boat up on the hard at Nanny Cay once finished with her in May/June and leave her there, tied down and secure, until November. Then re-launch her and use her from late November/early December through the following June.

FWIW...
I haven't seen any bad suggestions and you got a very nice one on the mooring which may be nice for you in May and June. As to being an absentee owner during hurricane season the hard make the best sense.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 11:56   #11

Boat: Nonsuch U30

For several years I kept my boat at Virgin Gorda, Spanish Town. Very reasonable, and have a good work crew if you need anything done. I would not use any of the US areas because of theft problems. You might also consider, the south islands Trinidad, and Tobago out of the hurricane belt. I also liked the Dominican Republic, for major work I saved thousands of $$
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 12:37   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Next to Nanny Cay is Sea Cow bay, and Manuel Reef Marina. They are a very protected hurricane harbor, and it was approved by my insurance company. The prices are lower than nanny cay.
Old 26-03-2015, 20:23   #13

Thank you so much for all the excellent suggestions and help.

I spoke with an insurance company out of BVI today that said keeping her in the Virgin Islands or even Puerto Rico during Hurricane season is fine. Cool. Not bad either on price.

Right now, my wife, Kimberly, and I are in a tight spot as we made an offer on the boat and the seller accepted the amount but not the date. My wife and I leave for Hawaii in a couple days and can't make it to BVI until mid May. The seller doesn't want to take her off the market and gamble we'll buy her 7 weeks down the road.

We are 90 percent sure we'd buy her as she has a full survey done by William J. Bailey of Caribbean Marine Surveyors Limited (an excellent and tough surveyor from what I understand from people I know, slight acquaintances, who own the CarQuest on St John). I used to own a CarQuest here in my town.

Anyway, the broker suggested I wait and hope she is still available at the end of April. I'm stuck. She surveyed at a value of $60k. The charter company recently lowered their price from $59k to $49k. They accepted our offer of $41k but they cannot accept our date of May 13.

We're tempted to purchase her sight unseen but make a lower offer since we'd be taking all the risk at that point. From what I've seen of her through pictures (admittedly not the best way to view a boat), she is very clean, and she did survey very well. Under the survey he suggested replacing the stove/oven, which they've done, get matching life vests with boat's name, put a gauge on the propane tank, replace 5 year old fire extinguishers and replace older flares. That's it. Everything else was solid.

My wife and I feel like we'd step aboard her in May and buy her on the spot as does the broker.

We never should have looked before going off to Hawaii, but we did and fell in love. It has the sugar scoop, which my wife wanted badly along with a few other items we wanted.

Anyway, gonna talk with the broker tomorrow morning and see what options I can work out. Offer a little more if they agree to our date or lower the price a little more to purchase unseen. Ugh. Not sure about that though. If it didn't have the solid survey, we would walk.

Anyone near Nanny Cay wanna take a look for me? Dinner is on us when we come in May. LOL
Old 26-03-2015, 20:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

What company are you buying from? Has the phaseout been completed? I know that Bill Bailey gets good recommendations, but what about a second opinion? Geoff Williams is brilliant. If both think the boat is in top shape, and if you are familiar with the type of boat and have been on one (you never know from pictures what just might not feel right, in person), then you are probably OK. Do you know anyone here that might take a look for you?

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 20:34   #15

Never thought of another surveyor. I'll look Geoff Williams up. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app