Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2013, 19:25   #16

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
OK, we are little way down the Florida coast now.

St Augustine - great touristy stop. Attentive marina in heart of town, but supplies a little hard to get to. Free water taxi and pump out. Mooring balls about about $22.

Titusville - Great cruiser stop. Well staffed marina with cruiser-staff. Excellent access to supplies via free shuttle bus. Save-a-lot grocery and drug store an easy walk. Good ship store. Mooring balls are only $18 w/ BoatUS card.

Also stopped at Daytona Beach. Nice town but not particularly cruiser friendly. Poor anchorages and no balls.The sheriff stopped us for a MSD inspection but I coild not help feeling they use the MSD inspections as a stop-and-frisk.

Plan to get about halfway to Vero Beach tomorrow before dropping the anchor.

Old 29-11-2013, 16:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Re: What are the best cruiser-friendly stops n Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
O
Also stopped at Daytona Beach. Nice town but not particularly cruiser friendly. Poor anchorages and no balls.The sheriff stopped us for a MSD inspection but I coild not help feeling they use the MSD inspections as a stop-and-frisk.

Actually the anchorage I use in Daytona (just south of Memorial Bridge, not the one by the sewage plant) is excellent. Good holding in 8 -10 feet. It's unfortunate you had a run in with the sheriff. Have not had that problem. Couple of dink tie-ups and Halifax Harbor very friendly, allowed a UPS delivery for me although I was not in the marina. WM close by in Halifax Harbor basin.

Also the yacht club just south of Memorial gives a break to those from other clubs. Just learned that from a member of our club that went through last week. The anchorage does fine for me.

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 16:58   #18

Thanks we stayed at Halifax Harbor. Very nice and well located marina. Great service. The West Marine is shutting down and moving to a new location. Very doggy marina. Must be pet friendly!

We spent four nights sharing a ball with another boat at Vero Beach, as suggested by posters to this thread. Vero Beach was great - probably the most cruiser friendly place we have stopped at. It felt a bit like staying at a retirement village. It is so comfortable it seems to attract retiree cruisers looking for just that - comfort! My 4yo was in Grandma heaven.

Next we nchored in the lee of the Jensen Beach Bridge in 20-30 kt northerlies then moved to north Lake Worth where we are now.

Now the anchorage on the north east side of Lake Worth is a great, cheap cruiser stop. There is a little beach you cam land your dinghy which is just over a block to a shopping center with a Publix. Great place to stock up with heavy canned goods because the walk is so short to the dinghy. There is also a West Marine within three blocks. We (finally) bought a 35lb Manson Supreme (no this is not an anchor thread...) and I was able to easily carry it back to the dinghy. There is a diverse assortment of cruisers stopped here.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:04   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the past there have been ob thefts there in N Lake Worth. The east part of the anchorage is better than the west and the middle which have old moorings and crap on the bottom. Ask me how I know. Congrats on the Manson Supreme. You will notice the difference.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:06   #20

Thanks for tip about ob thefts. We will lock it the dink good.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you can't make it to Ft. Lauderdale, Lake Boca is good. have a good evening.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you can't make it to Ft. Lauderdale, Lake Boca is good. have a good evening.
Is there any good place to stop in Ft. Lauterdale near the Port Everglades entrance? We were planning an overnighter outside to Biscayne Bay on Sunday night because did not seem to be any affordable stops there.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:51   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lake Sylvia is the only anchorage in Ft Lauderdale. It's a good anchorage. From there it's about 30 minutes to the inlet. You can get under the 17th st causeway bridge easily so no delay. L. Sylvia is great. If you dont know how to get in, just post. No need for an overnighter. half a day to Government Cut.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:59   #24

Thanks Vasco. What's the best way to get into Lake Silvia? On my charts there did not look to be enough water. Our mast clearance is 50' and draft is 5'.
Old 29-11-2013, 18:11   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No problem After you go under the Las Olas bridge keep to the left past all the mega yachts in Bahia Mar Marina. keep straight into L. Sylvia, keep about 15 feet off the bulkhead to your left entering L. Sylvia. About 7 feet at low.. Once you get to the end of the entrance shoot across to the right diagonally. Good water in there. Free wifi from the hotel Hyatt Regency (old pier 66). Keep a good watch when crossing the entrance to Bahia Mar. Make sure no ones coming out.
Old 29-11-2013, 18:21   #26

Thanks a million. I can seen the potential for that approach on the chart. We will give it a try. Will go in real slow... and report back here!
Old 29-11-2013, 18:24   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great. It's probably full of Canadians. We know the free spots.
Old 29-11-2013, 19:08   #28

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Jacksonville, Palatka, Verobeach, Indiantown, Labelle
palatka, indiantown, and labelle are FAR off the route. might be nice stops if he's just meandering down the ditch, but if he plans on crossing in december would be a really bad waste of time.

best stops, imho, from brunswick, would be fernandina beach or st. marys, st. augustine, vero beach (highly recommended), peck lake, north lake or anchorage just inside lake worth inlet.

if you want to get a better angle on the stream, go outside at lake worth inlet and then south as far as you want, all the way to key largo if necessary...
Old 29-11-2013, 19:26   #29

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
sorry i didn't know you would be stopping in daytona. our sailing club is located near marker 42 on the west side - next to the sewer plant (the reason there's no condo development here). there is a free anchorage between marker 44 and 42 on the west side of the icw with 8 to 10 feet in soft mud. your new manson supreme will hold real well here if you put out a lot of scope (10:1) and let it soak in, rather than engine reverse on it, as does mine.

we used to have a problem with the local police, but that was years ago. some of the anchored out boats belong to club members and the anchorage is generally well taken care of and trouble free. i haven't heard of a boarding here in a couple of years now, and we have had liveaboards off and on for years (only have one now).

lake sylvia can be a tight little place to anchor, particularly at this time of year. there is also a strong current running through it at change of tide which sometimes runs in a circular fashion around the little lake. take real care going in and when inside go slow and carefully...

another place to hang out in miami is behind watson island, right off the icw and above the miami river entrance. well protected but land access is spotty.
Old 30-11-2013, 00:14   #30

Thanks a lot. I am not sure why we were stopped. We have a well kept foreign flagged boat and we were just motoring along about a mile north of town.

That said Daytona is a really nice town and Halifax Harbor was a good stop. Nice waterfront and nice main street in easy walking distance. Thanks for having us.

Hopefully the new Manson Supreme will hold us well in Lake Silvia's switching currents - thanks for the info!

Tags
cruise, cruiser, florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: