Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469
Whale Cay Cut vs. Manjack Channel

Hi all,
Planning a trip with the family to the Abacos. Have a 47' sailboat with a 5.5' draft. Read a lot about the dangers of Whale Cay Cut and avoid trying to cross in a rage. But one of the places we wanted to explore was the northwest corner of Manjack/Nunjack Cay, and it looks there is a fairly wide and relatively deep cut to the Northwest of Manjack. That channel looks to be about 10 miles from Whale. Yet, in all the discussion about Whale, people talk about waiting out any bad conditions before crossing through Whale; I don't remember anyone recommending to just head ten miles north and go through Manjack channel. Granted, that would add 20 miles to a trip, but you wouldn't spend days waiting.
Is there a reason I'm missing why people would rather wait for better conditions at Whale instead of going north through Manjack? The Manjack cut looks much wider than even the wider Man O War, and that one is considered safer than Whale.
Hope you're all well.
'Dubs
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:53   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Whale Cay Cut vs. Manjack Channel

This time of year you are much less likely to get a rage than you are in the Winter. I have been through North MOW cut and the Whale Cay Cut a lot of times, but never had too much trouble. I have had to wait a few days to get through the WCC before, but always in Winter or Spring. I have not been through Manjack Cut ever, so I can't help you there. I do think, though, that you are far less likely to encounter a rage in any of those cuts during this time of year.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 07:36   #3

Looking for anyone who has taken the Nunjack channel.
Big swell Is predicted for the next week and whale cay cut is not looking like a good idea.

Like the original post said, the Nunjack channel looks.much larger than whale cut, wondering why there isn't any info on using this as an alternative ?

Thanms
tompelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:30   #4

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

All of the Bahamian cuts or channels to the ocean behave similarly to wind opposing current and waves. They all can rage, some more than others. Whale probably typical. It gets a lot of attention because it is the only time you need to go outside to cruise the Sea of Abaco.

Likewise big swell would have similar impact to going in or out most cuts. That said, the whale behaves best with a Southerly wind.

Have cruised the Abacos many times. Haven’t used, nor know of cruising boats using channel on north side of Manjack. Dive boat out of Green Turtle uses daily weather permitting.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:19   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

We've been around the north side of Manjack a couple of times. I wouldn't really even call it a channel, more just wide open. It would be a long way around if you're heading south.

The north bay is gorgeous though, totally worth a stop if the weather is decent.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote