Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2017, 06:16   #1

Western Long Island Sound

First post here and new to Long Island sound but trying to find good places to anchor or raft up with friend. I have my 33 cruiser out of Norwalk Cove marina. Anyone have an suggestions.? Would love up also have a small beach shore that could be swam to or take a dinghy up to for the kids. Let me know. Thank you!

Old 19-06-2017, 07:05   #2

Boat: Tartan 3000
Re: Western Long Island Sound

G'Day Coco

I'm sailing out of Huntington across the sound from you. There are a couple of nice local beaches in Huntington Bay, Eatons Neck I think one is called. Not sure they would be ok with a dinghy visitor. Do you have a place one could dinghy ashore in Norwalk?

I'd be interested in a Norwalk restaurant with dock for a 30 ft sailboat if you know of one.

Cheers

Old 20-06-2017, 03:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cocopuffs.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 04:14   #4

I believe a couple of the Norwalk island are pretty popular wth anchorage and Sheffield island having a lighthouse and walking paths allow for shore visitors with either a dinghy or guest drop off at their pier. As for restaurants we used to take a smaller boat to sono seaport with limited spaces. You can check out Rex marine are their town marine a short walk across the bridge from downtown. Still trying to learn the local areas myself.
Old 20-06-2017, 13:56   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Heading east on the CT shore, you run into the Thimbles. Interesting anchoring - no beach, but swim off the boat. Further down is Charles Island at Milford - a long sand bar exposed at low tide. Further still Duck Island.

Huntington Harbor was mentioned. You might try up heading west up into the Sagamore area of Oyster Bay, way up in. Cold Spring Harbor at the opposite end might provide some options too. Heading east, try the Sandpit just inside, and on the east side of Port Jefferson harbor.

Further afield is Hamburg Cove, up the Connecticut River, about a 1/2 mile north of Essex, and on the east side. Charming cove, anchoring or pick up a private mooring during the week in the summer. Mostly fresh water and good for swimming off the boat.

Have fun!
Old 20-06-2017, 15:01   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffs View Post
First post here and new to Long Island sound but trying to find good places to anchor or raft up with friend. I have my 33 cruiser out of Norwalk Cove marina. Anyone have an suggestions.? Would love up also have a small beach shore that could be swam to or take a dinghy up to for the kids. Let me know. Thank you!
===

Port Jefferson on the Long Island side would be one of my top choices. It makes a good weekend destination. Closer by there is Zieglers Cove and Scott Cove east of Noroton Neck. Check Active Captain for more information.
Old Yesterday, 19:21   #7

Boat: Catalina 25

Ziegler Cove.
Second the motion.

Tags
Long Island, long island sound

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: