Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 15:25   #1

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
West side of Andros

Armchair planning here... South from Florida through the Bahamas, why have I never heard about anyone taking the route down the west coast of Andros? I know there are no towns along the way, but seems to me the water would be pretty calm as you would be in the shadow of Andros.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:37   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: West side of Andros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
Armchair planning here... South from Florida through the Bahamas, why have I never heard about anyone taking the route down the west coast of Andros? I know there are no towns along the way, but seems to me the water would be pretty calm as you would be in the shadow of Andros.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Maybe you should look at a chart, but you are right, 1-2 meter deep water can't support much of a wave.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 15:58   #3

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I see the charts but thought there might be a reason not evident on the charts.. Its not shallow if not close in. Pirates? Zombies? Weird weather patterns?

Old 26-10-2014, 16:24   #4

I plan on taking the route from Marathon across cay sal under andros and over to the examas next spring early summer. I've never gone that way but it looks straight forward and a lot easier than going up to Gun gay and down to the Northwest light and then all the way down andros . Big shortcut looks like an easy peasy ride plus cay sal looks intriguing. Most people dont go that way because they are uncomfortable taking a route where nobody can save them basically. Exuma gives me an easy cross to long island then cat then eleuthera.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 20:52   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian17 View Post
I plan on taking the route from Marathon across cay sal under andros and over to the examas next spring early summer. I've never gone that way but it looks straight forward and a lot easier than going up to Gun gay and down to the Northwest light and then all the way down andros . ----
If you do take this route please let us know what it's like.
Old 26-10-2014, 21:21   #6

Not to high jack the thread, but I am purchasing my first sailboat this week. A jaguar 28 foot in pretty decent condition. When I am ready how long should I expect it to take to sail to the Bahamas and back and what time of year? I can't wait to take my fiancé and son over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Shizog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 21:48   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Bahamas and back can be done in 17 hours for the round-trip if you start from southeast Florida and go back to southeast Florida. It can be done anytime of the year if you have a good weather window.
Need more details to give a specific answer.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:32   #8

No that works thanks

Old 27-10-2014, 09:20   #9

Rumor has that there is a way to get through Andros in one of the Bights shown on the charts. It might take a little time and patience and research.

Still the easiest and quickest way from the Keys to Eleuthra is via South Riding Rock across the Bank to the Northwest Channel then on to wherever.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 09:38   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

D,
Look at the charts. Much of the water is uncharted and/or unreliable. If you have a lot of experience on the water and sail a shallow draft cat or trimaran, you might want to give it a try. But even a 4 foot draft with shifting sands, sandbores, and an assuredly coral seabed could be a prescription for disaster. I believe Matthew Wilson(Bahamas Cruising Guide) did that same trip years ago on his 29 foot trimaran.
Old 27-10-2014, 09:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizog4 View Post
Not to high jack the thread, but I am purchasing my first sailboat this week. A jaguar 28 foot in pretty decent condition. When I am ready how long should I expect it to take to sail to the Bahamas and back and what time of year? I can't wait to take my fiancé and son over

It takes time to wait for a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream.... especially in the winter. You don't want the prevailing NE wind against the Stream when you cross. So figure that in.
To Nassau figure another day. You need to estimate your boat speed average and give yourself a time cushion from one stop to the next.
To Bimini it's probably 10-12 hours min over in a 28 footer. (sailboat)
It's hard to do a Bahama trip with less than at least a month available.
This is the short version! Get a Bahama Cruising guide and start thinking it through.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 13:13   #12

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
D,
Look at the charts. Much of the water is uncharted and/or unreliable. If you have a lot of experience on the water and sail a shallow draft cat or trimaran, you might want to give it a try. But even a 4 foot draft with shifting sands, sandbores, and an assuredly coral seabed could be a prescription for disaster. I believe Matthew Wilson(Bahamas Cruising Guide) did that same trip years ago on his 29 foot trimaran.
Yeah, this was my concern last year on passage from BVI to Miami, could have saved us some distance as well as calm water, but I just don't trust the level of detail in Bahamas charts (this is not a criticism of the Bahamas, of which I am very fond). Hard to tell how thoroughly any area has been surveyed, I am guessing it is not to every last inch, and one bad rock can really ruin your day... Not to mention the possibility of shoaling since the last survey, even though sand is a lot more forgiving, you can get stuck in it pretty good nonetheless.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 13:17   #13

That's good thank you ... I was trying to see if it was doable in about two weeks or so

Old 31-10-2014, 01:48   #14

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
D,
Well said, AND from Marathon you will have a +3 knot GS current pushing you north.

If you head due east from marathon, the GS will take you 30nm north.
You'll be just north of Andros Island and there is a magenta recommended route they is good and I've taken.

Richard on Dauntless now in Ireland
Kadey Krogen 42'
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 06:13   #15

We have cruised the west side of Andros but this summer we spent a week at the southern end in Jackfish Channel. Here are a few points to consider:

The Garmin Bluecharts are very accurate but there are some areas that lack detail. Mostly these areas are too shallow.

Lots of mangroves and very few beach areas on the west side. Little interest unless you are hardcore after tarpon. You need a fast dink with good range to really explore since many places you can't get close.

With a guide and patients you can get through the southern bight if you draw less than 4.5 ft.

It would not be much fun in a cold front or any wind from the west

Good luck
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote