Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 08:55   #16

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
CSY Man,and all

I have to agree with you about Nassau. At least the Paradise Island section. While I was there, I went on a guided tour snorkling trip. It was really pretty cool.The vendor had their van pick me and another crew member up at the marina,and take us to their boat which was towards the end of the main island.It really gave us a chance to see alot of the area besides the "carnival" around Atlantis. Once on board their boat,they took us to three great snorkling sites. The first was a beautiful coral reef that had a lot of marine tropical fish. Second, was a shipwreck. The last stop was at an area where they had been feeding black tip sharks. The deal was, they would drop overboard a container tied to a rope. The container was full of fish parts (heads,tails,etc.) Once the container was about 20 feet below the boat and the sharks were feeding on it,then everyone would jump in and snorkle over top of them. The Capt.and first mate assured everyone that it was perfectly safe. Yeah, right!! So, we all jump in and are swimming above these 6-8 foot sharks. It was pretty wild.I had an underwater camera and I took a few pictures of the sharks as they were feeding. It all seemed like a "stupid pet tricks" type of thing until we got back aboard.The Capt.brought out another bucket of full bodied fish.While standing on the stern, he would hold one of the fish by the tail,dangling it in the water. When he saw one of the sharks coming up to get it,he would start pulling the fish up out of the water so that the shark would break the surface to grab the fish. It was then that I saw all the teeth.Pure eating machine! While the Capt.was doing this, the first mate would be grabbing at the sharks fin to kind of drag him on to the stern.The Capt.was pretty quick at letting go of the fish when the shark opened wide and got ready to clamp down. These guys were two crazy %#!!**#@!! I like to think the real Nassau is like that snorkling trip. Beautiful, a little crazy, and some what dangerous. If you read the history of the area, that's exactly what it used to be like.It was a haven for hundreds of pirates.The British tried several times in the old days to bring the area under control, but the pirates prevailed. A combination of pirate hangings, pardons,and disease,finally did the job and the area began to be somewhat stable in the late 18th century. Wouldn't that have been a trip to have seen it back then
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 16:42   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Yup, it sure would have been a trip to see it back then.
And as ya said, it sure would be exiting to do the shark diving today..., but no thanks.

The reality however is that any cruiser going to Nassau should be aware as the locals would love to steal yer dink, or even the dink motor of yer transom, or snatch yer purse or wallet while ya walk down the street. The place sucks from that standpoint.

Big city at its worst, just like St. Thomas:
(If you own someting, make sure ya have two of it, as the locals will take one...Boat, car, bike, whatever. Even wife: My neigobor in the yard in St. Thomas was walking the dog on the beach and some local rasta chopped her into small pieces with a machete. Tragic, but reality. )

Go to the out-islands in the Exumas and other areas, and the locals are the most honest and friendly people ya will find anywhere in the world.
Any sign of "big city" however and they go down the drain into the sewage...

Uh, and my point is?
Be careful out there, it is not all Disney World with beautiful islands, friendly sharks and honest natives...
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:50   #18

CSY Man,

I think you make a very good point,and have hit upon a topic worthy of this "Cruiser Forum." That topic being, "Travel Safety."Hopefully others will contribute their opinons and experiences." I agree with your statement " it is not all Disney World with beautiful islands, friendly sharks and honest natives..." I grew up in a fairly large size city. I saw a woman get shot to death at the age of nine. While the city wasn't the "Bronx",it had it's share of crime. Loving adventure, I usually went into places that I should'nt have, but by doing so I learned to become "street wise." In my opinion,every predator,in every species on planet earth share some common traits on how they seek their victims.These are (1) target identification (2) weakness (3) isolation. These three things can take on different forms,but a predator will recognize them and key in on them. Let me give you three scenarios that I've be involved in to illustrate what I mean. A crime wasn't committed,but easily could have been. As you read them, try to imagine that you're a predator and see if you recognize the three traits.

(1) Marsh Harbor,Abaco - I'm sitting at a dockside bar having a beer. At the end of the bar is a well dressed older man with gaudy gold rings on several fingers. He has with him a buddy and two young,attactive women. The man has obviously had to much to drink. As he's hugging,and carressing the women, they keep talking about a Rolex watch that they had seen at the jewerly shop down the street.One of the girls wants him to buy it for her. The man sends his buddy down the street with his credit card to buy both the girls Rolex watches,while he buys rounds at the bar for everyone.The buddy returns shortly with the two new watches and the women giggle as they put them on and parade around the bar.Shortly after, the two girls and the man's buddy say they are going back to the boat,and the well dressed older man says he will meet them back there in a little while.He wants to have a few more drinks.

(2) San Jose Airport,Costa Rica - All travel literature I've read prior to my trip,indicates that San Jose is notorious for predators preying on tourists.Rental cars are easily recognizable. I'm in line to go through customs.I'm wearing old worn out pants,tee-shirt,and dirty tennis shoes. I kick my canvas bags in front of me as the line moves slowly forward. I'm quiet, but act annoyed as locals surround me.Ahead of me is a small framed man in a tailored suit,and apparently his beautiful wife.She is wearing a white silk dress,custom sunglasses,and has in front of her a cart piled high with Samsonite luggage.In a loud voice,her husband is asking the attendant where the rental car counter is at,and how far it is to San Jose.

(3) Guadaloupe,West Indies - A delayed connector flight causes myself and crew to arrive late at our charterd boat.It's approximately 10 pm.A female crew member needs somthing from the local convenient store,but the store only excepts Francs.,and the store closes at 11 pm.We've not had time to convert our money. I see a teenager pulling up to the dock in a skiff. I hold up some American money and ask him "exchange." Through broken English, he says yes,and he'll take me across the bay in his skiff to it. We get to the automated exchange machine,and on the way back to the skiff,the teenager sees a girl he knows at an outside bar.We all sit down at a table,and after some short conversation,I mention to the young man that I really need to get back to my boat.He nods,but keeps on talking to the girl. I casually survey the surroundings and notice some rough looking characters at the bar occasionally glancing over at me. As the waitress delivers my beer, I casually pull out my large folding dive knife out of my pocket and lay it on the table, as I'm pulling money out of my pocket. I strike up a conversation with her while leaving the folded knife out in full view on the table. Shortly after, my young friend takes me back across the bay to my boat. I give him a generous tip for his help, and say good night.

To sum this all up, I offer these suggestions on how to minimize your risk when traveling.

*Do research on your travel destination.Always be aware of your surroundings.
*Dress to fit in,not stand out.
*Most other countries think all Americans are rich.Do everything you can think of to present yourself as not,even if you are.
*Don't carry cameras and fanny packs drapped all over you. Buy an old backpack to carry that stuff in.
*Find a "best friend" wherever you're at. I carry small tokens of appreciation to give new friends when I travel. Not money! Alot of people will view that as you're trying to buy their friendship.Be sincere in your efforts,or don't do it at all.
*Stay in groups when possible.
*Carry something to protect yourself if possible, (if the law allows) for worst case scenarios.
*Think ahead, instead of looking back,and chances are that you'll avoid trouble before it finds you!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:51   #19

Playing with icons

Iam seeing how the it all works
I did color now can i get the icons?
Red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:35   #20

Smile Still working on it

well i hit the wrong key was not ready to post the last one so here i go..Now I think i have it . Hi I love reading about all your sailing trip. It makes me want to go even more then i did before. Chartered an sailed BVI a lot and loved it. But can't wait to take are boat on a long trip.So all the help you can give us we are so greatful And happysailling. Red 44
Red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:56   #21

Aye Mr. Stede, I agree with your points on being careful when traveling or crusing.

I can relate to your stories and have a few myself.

I started traveling as I teen-ager. Insted of going to high school like my friends, I joied the merchant marine and sailed all over the world for a few years.
Been in a few tight spots and learned my way around some of the worst ports and bars in the world.

Also had a good time of course, while my buddies back home were studying for their exams, I frequented whore houses in Japan and the Phillipines and got see new things, made money and got an appetite for fine beer..

Later I took up flying and been hauling airplanes all over Africa, the middle East, Russia, China, you name it, been there done that.
Pilots also hang out in bad bars just like sailors, so yes I have been practicing uh, preventive traveling, but there has been a few close calls. Mostly my own fault however, many problemss could be prevented if I could keep my mouth shut..

At any rate, as far as safety on cruising boats: Got robbed once:
The day before carnival in St. Thomas in 1986 some local scumbag came aboard my Bermuda yawl and stole the wallet and other stuff I had left in the main cabin.
Ex-wife and I slept in the V-berth and we did not wake up, which is probably a good thing.

Also had a car broken into in St. Croix while it was parked.
The cops of course never caugt the bad guys, pretty useless law enforcement in the Virgin Islands.

As far as this thread however, about water depth going into Bimini: Looked at a brand new chart yesterday and yes, the entrance was dredged in June 2002, and the channel now curves to the West quite a bit.
Anybody going in there should get the new Explorer chart book for the Near Bahamas, they have the update and also detailed the entrance in this latest book.

Going over there tomorrow on a friends CSY 44. Full report will follow.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:32   #22

Hey CSY Man,

It sounds like you've been around the block a few times Thanks for the update on N.Bimini. It sounds like I just missed the dredging when I was there in May,2002.That might have been a good thing. Good luck on your trip aboard the CSY 44.I'm sure everyone looks forward to your report on return. Fair winds!
Old 05-09-2003, 18:30   #23

Yup, Mr. Stede been around the block a few times.
For quite a few years I was averaging half a million miles a year of travel, but sadly that was not on a sail-boat....

The Bimini trip tomorrow is still looking good.
Helped my friend all day bolting on the booms, hooking up the rigging and bending sails.
(The boat got the sticks in yesterday after they were sand-blasted, painted, re-wired etc. This be the shake-down cruise for sure.)

Always good to mess around with boats..
Lemme see, what is that old saying?
A bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office...

Be good ya'll..
Old 28-12-2011, 20:20   #24

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Re: water depth

Hey, I know this is a very old thread but it is very pertinent for me. I intend to get myself an IP380 that draws 4'7. According to what I just read, and I did not read everything, I understand that I could sail around the islands easily, especially at high tide right?

Thanks for your help!!

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote