Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 20:44   #61

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Watch out for this guy in the B.V.I.'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
IF YOU SAIL INTO/OUT OF AN ANCHORAGE where it is impossible to stop, where there can be people in the water, people in small dinghies, you are exactly what my prior post was about.

You think your skill is suburb just as drunk drivers think of their skills. If you ever hurt someone by entering a crowed anchorage because you could not stop, I hope it costs you dearly. There are no right conditions in a crowed anchorage!
I'm offended by your comparison. Life has few absolutes and we all must make our decisions.

You never specified a crowded anchorage until your last post. You said any anchorage. Certainly there are some anchorages where sailing in might not be the best idea, depending on the boat, crew, and conditions. In light winds and little current in an anchorage with room to maneuver, there is no risk to other boats. If I arrive and find that there are children in the water close to where I want to go, I can always turn around, douse sail and motor back in. Not sure if that's any better for the children, though. Dinghies are very maneuverable, and I've never seen a collision between a 35' sailboat doing 2 knots and a dinghy ripping by at 15 knots or being rowed at 2 knots. Surely everyone will just see each other and turn?

I'm not that great a sailor, really. My fiancee and I sailed off the anchor in Bedwell Harbour a week and a half ago. We really enjoyed it. It's so nice not to start the engine. There was maybe 6 knots of wind and only a half dozen boats around, only a couple of them between us and the entrance. We're not blindfolded, so we could see that there were no other obstacles. We raised anchor using the windlass. There was so little wind that the boat easily moved up on the anchor and then had plenty of steerageway to slowly ghost out of the harbour under main alone while I squared away the anchor and wandered back to release the genoa.

It was quiet and peaceful and totally safe. If something was in the way that we hadn't seen, we could have simply turned (we have a rudder that helps us with that). I honestly can't think of a situation in that case that would have meant that we would have had to stop quickly.

On the other hand, I've only sailed through Tsehum harbour once and won't try it again unless I have an engine failure. Because of the effect of the land, the wind was really fluky and there was enough traffic and anchored boats that I inconvenienced people too much as I tried to make my way upwind in very changeable conditions. Far from dangerous, but I don't like being a pain to other boaters. Different conditions, so different correct decision.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 21:18   #62
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

You all wanna quit taking the GENERALIZATIONS quite so personally and be a bit judicious in your choice of words, please?

I don't feel like doing a buncha moderation/editing to clean up a pissing match over poor communication, which is what I see developing here.

Read twice, and then delete anything that's grumpy or confrontational please.

I'm watchan a movie...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 22:28   #63

Boat: Force 5, 13 feet, Binouchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
You all wanna quit taking the GENERALIZATIONS quite so personally and be a bit judicious in your choice of words, please?

I don't feel like doing a buncha moderation/editing to clean up a pissing match over poor communication, which is what I see developing here.

Read twice, and then delete anything that's grumpy or confrontational please.

I'm watchan a movie...
What this forum needs is a "Like" button...

Sorry if my posting seems a tad content-free, but it is so easy to allow thread drift to set in and I appreciate the guiding hand in action here (and as my friends and relatives will tell you I'm a tad arnarchistic, to say the least...)
PieRatPeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 22:49   #64
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieRatPeat View Post
What this forum needs is a "Like" button...

Sorry if my posting seems a tad content-free, but it is so easy to allow thread drift to set in and I appreciate the guiding hand in action here (and as my friends and relatives will tell you I'm a tad arnarchistic, to say the least...)
Ya mean like this?

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 02:04   #65
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Ya mean like this?

; -)
Jeesus, where did that come from...? Man, ya'll be telling us it's been there all along, and that it's proven to make us all feel good when we get a thanks message...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 03:02   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Yeah-- lost count of the number of times I witnessed a Captain Horatio I_SAIL_BETTER_THAN_YOU horn_blowing through an anchorage! People who do this are IMHO in the same category as drunk drivers!

It really ticks me off. Many times there are kids in the water, people in small dinghies enjoying the excitement of being on a moored/anchored boat only to find some idiot putting their safety in jeopardy.
Idiots everywhere .

Given that an anchorage is not simply valet parking but also a fairway then anyone swimming has to expect vessels to be transiting the anchorage - including under sail (whether that be showing off / practicing or due to no engine) If sailing boats are around, gotta expect some to be sailing..........albeit in practice I would be more concerned about numpties (of all ages) in RIBS than folk under sail.

I appreciate that the above might be inconveniant. But if folk want a no brainer "safe" environment for kids (or selves) to play in, there is usually a beach nearby. or Disneyland But of course that involves getting off own ar#e rather than expecting others / the world to revolve around your conveniance.

Quote:
Sailboats do not have brakes especially when sails are up.
Whereas under power they do?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 04:00   #67

Boat: PETERSON 44
Sailed in last night and anchored . The left peddle is the brake right? Weird though every time I apply the brake the toilet flushes. Prior owner must have botched up the brake install.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:09   #68

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Watch Out for This Guy in the B.V.I.'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It occurred to me it may have happened this way; they were under power but snagged the anchor bouy and so killed the engine, then put up the sails in an attempt to pull loose.
I interpreted what I saw and heard differently. I thought the buoy was put on the bitter end of an anchor rode that one of the snagged boats slipped to get out of the melee. I'll have to go look at it again.

Quote:
It really ticks me off. Many times there are kids in the water, people in small dinghies enjoying the excitement of being on a moored/anchored boat only to find some idiot putting their safety in jeopardy.
So you would rather have a propeller churning in the water than someone sailing in with full control of their boat? A gross generalization that may be specious.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:22   #69
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
THE anchorage that I want to stop at is the one with all the "perfect" sailors. Can someone please post its co-ordinates.
Don't know about "perfect" sailors, but a perfect anchorage would be one where people are considerate of others.

Lots of distance to neighbors, no loud music, no stinky generators, etc.

We usually find our own private anchorage and use the dink to find company and party. Works great every time..
Old 21-05-2011, 08:34   #70

Boat: In my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
is it just me, or does there seem to be an inverse correlation between sailing ability and the propernsity to fly the jolly roger?
Maybe these should be the international "Student Driver" Sticker for sailboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Nope. I'm pretty sure Capt Jack Sparrow could have done better than the guys in the video clip, but maybe not :-)
I don't think Captain Jack has to worry about such things as parking his boat. Johnny Depp's Modern Vintage Mega Yacht | YachtPals.com
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:36   #71

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Quote:
THE anchorage that I want to stop at is the one with all the "perfect" sailors. Can someone please post its co-ordinates.
Don't know about "perfect" sailors, but a perfect anchorage would be one where people are considerate of others.

Lots of distance to neighbors, no loud music, no stinky generators, etc.

We usually find our own private anchorage and use the dink to find company and party. Works great every time..
You're the guy I'm looking for.
Old 21-05-2011, 08:59   #72

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

So you would rather have a propeller churning in the water than someone sailing in with full control of their boat? A gross generalization that may be specious.
I sailed for over 25 years before making the change to power. There is far better control under power, even in a sailboat trying to maneuver in an anchorage. YOU DO NOT HAVE FULL CONTROL UNDER SAIL!

No one is impressed with poor sailing skills when weaving in and out of an anchorage, under sail. My final comment in this thread is to iterate that I hope it costs anyone dearly if they cause harm to anyone.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 09:54   #73

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Isn't this about the place that Andy steps in and snaps the lock.
Old 21-05-2011, 10:02   #74
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

geez...this sounds like a SaltyMonkey thread. I expected the dissonance from an argument about Bennies vs Westsails, or full keel vs fin keels....but a silly video with a very nice bottom??

Foggysail - i like twin screw boaties too, but cant afford fuel or short range. Yes, motoring or sailing a sailboat is not easy to manuuuver regardless of rudder design.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:24   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Any of you that haven't yet had "your 15 minutes of fame", are just lucky.
I've had mine several times. Usually at 2AM.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote