Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55   #1

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Waiting On Weather In NJ

I'm waiting for the opportunity to get down to Cape May from Barnegat. One concern is competing for space at Cape May and the C&D canal stops.

I have heard that there are boats holding in Atlantic Highlands as well as other shelters north of Cape May.

Is there anyone with firsthand knowledge, and suggestions on how to avoid the crowd?
Old 12-10-2019, 18:16   #2

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Re: Waiting On Weather In NJ

If the current on the Delaware Bay (and the weather) is in your favor, you can just keep going up the Bay instead of stopping at Cape May. We did that last month - Atlantic Highlands straight to the Cohansey River on the Jersey side of the Delaware. We finished the last 20 miles of the Bay and down to the Bohemia River on the Chesapeake the next day after a solid night’s sleep.

For us it was worth it so we didn’t have to hassle with squeezing into the anchorage at Cape May or Chesapeake City along with everyone else.
Old 13-10-2019, 02:36   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I'm waiting for the opportunity to get down to Cape May from Barnegat. One concern is competing for space at Cape May and the C&D canal stops.

I have heard that there are boats holding in Atlantic Highlands as well as other shelters north of Cape May.

Is there anyone with firsthand knowledge, and suggestions on how to avoid the crowd?

8 miles beyond Cape May straight across the mouth of the Delaware Bay is Cape Henlopen. Anchoring behind either the outer or middle breakwater is good; it's all a designated harbor of refuge. When I anchor there I'm usually alone. That's avoiding the crowd. *grin*

There is no extra distance from Henlopen to the C&D compared to Cape May. If you're boat doesn't fit under the bridge at Cape May and you have to go back out into the ocean and around Cape May then Cape Henlopen is faster.

Regardless if you start up the Delaware at slack before flood and can maintain 6 kts STW (might be tough for you) you can avoid foul current all the way to Annapolis. Probably 28 to 30 hours on your Sabre 34.

I'm not a fan of stopping at Reedy Island. There have been two many boats going up on the rocks entering either of the access places. If stopping is important move on to Chesapeake City or Worton Point. Worton Point will be quieter than Chesapeake City.

If you end up running the C&D Canal at night, perhaps driven by state of tidal current, the canal itself is trivial. It's lit up like a highway. As you get to the end I recommend slowing down a bit and giving yourself a chance to get night vision back. Full night vision can take a long time--half an hour to an hour--depending on age and health factors. I won't burden you with my rant on light discipline.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:36   #4

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I took this route in August from Newport, RI to Charleston, SC. Plenty of room to anchor at Highlands, NJ or Sandy Hook. There were maybe 4 boats anchored at the USCG station at Cape May. We stayed at Canyon Club Marina at Cape May and had lots of room. Did run aground a little in their basin, but I draw 5.5'. Next day, ran up the Delaware Bay with the wind and current, making close to 8.5kts essentially the entire way. Anchored up across from the Nuclear power plant and then ran the C&D Canal the next day with no issues. Things are probably a bit more crowded now with the end of hurricane season in sight (theoretically), but you should still have plenty of room wherever you go.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather