Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 14:43   #31

Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yes i have found that,we had much better and consistent winds going canaries to gambia/senegal then to brazil,then tobago than going cape verdes antigua and cape verdes st lucia in nov-dec
Me thinks you been around a bit matey
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:45   #32

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Personally I don't find passage videos interesting. What's more fun is the anticipation, the prep work, and the planning and the challenges. That's what get's people going, the idea, rather than the reality of sitting in the cockpit day after day thinking "shall I take a reef"
I agree. Not much eventful happens on long crossings and if it does it's usually not good and you're not exactly reaching for your video camera lol.

No birds, very little, sometimes no wildlife. Maybe you catch a fish once in awhile. Most eventful Atlantic crossing video-worthy moment I've had was having roast beef and yorkshire pudding on Christmas day in the cockpit. That was blog worthy for sure.

The magic/vibe/rhythm/solace of an ocean crossing is not something you can capture on video. It's internal and psychological. You can't capture that in 1080p no matter how good a videographer and editor you are. It just looks like lots of sitting around lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:49   #33

Quote:
yes i have found that,we had much better and consistent winds going canaries to gambia/senegal then to brazil,then tobago than going cape verdes antigua and cape verdes st lucia in nov-dec
I've found it's just best to wait until mid-December when the trades kick in more consistently. The ARC leaves too early, I guess so folks can be in the Caribbean by Xmas. Leave a couple of weeks later in December, swoop south until the butter melts and then catch the sleigh ride west.
Old 15-09-2017, 19:56   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I've found it's just best to wait until mid-December when the trades kick in more consistently. The ARC leaves too early, I guess so folks can be in the Caribbean by Xmas. Leave a couple of weeks later in December, swoop south until the butter melts and then catch the sleigh ride west.
thats why i like the west africa brazil route,you can leave canaries at the end of october,have 2-3weeks in gambia/senegal,2 weeks in brazil and be in trini or tobago for xmas day!

another year we left early and cruised most of the cape verdes then onto brazil,did our xmas food shopping for next to nothing and arrived st lucia for new year eve had great winds and current
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 20:29   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2016 and upcoming 2017

in reference to sujins post about young fresh talent and great video skills i thought i would give these guys a mention,sids dad a forum member, few weeks ago asked me for advice about funafuti,tuvalu,and i ended up giving them weather routing advice.
just heard they arrived safe and sound in vanuatu.(see msg) i know it is not atlantic,but well worth a watch!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lu-189948.html

Hi Alex, you must have a sixth sense as he has just been in contact, he tells me he did exactly as you suggested and sailed/ Motored south for the first two days which gave him a decent track to Port Vila!
He just posted their message on FB here it is!
Cheers.

post from simon sv narvhal
Tuvulu to Vanuatu
(Funafuti Atoll to Port Vila)

It's hard to get your hands on fresh fruit and vegetables in Funafuti so the canned tradition continued as we loaded up on tinned pears and baked beans.

The refuelling was both amusing and painstaking as we waited 6 hours for such a task to be accomplished.
We mused at the concept of "Island time" and then what became apparent as "no concept of linear time".

It gave us time to contemplate life by the wayside and make friends with the fuel guy (who's truck had mysteriously disappeared to some unknown location on the island, along with our diesel!) and after we'd both suffered food poisoning and had no fresh fruit or veg for almost another month (apart from coconuts), we were aching to leave for Vanuatu.

We waved goodbye to the incredible Funafuti, with an exchange of rice for coconuts and navigated out of the south entrance of the Atoll.

We were hoping for a nice quick crossing, after all it's only 800 miles!

Pulling up our newly repaired, big head sail (the prisoners did a superb job stitching her up), we were off again! [emoji846]

In light winds the headsail works perfectly; we manage 6 knots in less than 10 knots of breeze!
The first few days were perfect, seas to 1m and winds not above 15 knots.

Ideal blue skies and perfect sailing conditions!!

We tried to head south more as we had some strong winds and bigger seas coming later in the week.
We ended up sailing a further 100 miles south. That should give us a better angle for Vanuatu.

4 days into our passage....
We put a double reef in the main sail, pull down our No.1 and put up a small jib and storm sail on the cutter.
We are flying along.. 6..7....8 knots !!
The swell is really starting to pick up, 3 meters and an occasional breaking wave over our decks!!

Thursday morning,6 days into our passage...GPS is saying only 24 hours to Vanuatu!!

Seas are over 3 meters and breaking, wind is still 25knots and showing no signs of easing...
We are still making over 7 knots. Narhval is loving this, the decks are a constant wash, we both hide below as it's not very safe outside.
In fact we've been down below now for 3 days, we just keep reminding ourselves that it's only a 7 day passage not 31!!
That reassures us and we relax back in to it.

Narhval is jumping all around, but her movements are so predictable and in slow motion. Waves crashing all over her, over the bow, both middle and aft cabin.

We realised this morning that neither of us has had a hot shower since Garden Bay Marina, British Columbia (back in June!!!)
The revelation that in less than 24 hours we will be having hot showers is absolutely overwhelming!!!

Fresh fruit and vegetables AND a hot shower? Now that's just luxurious!!!!

[emoji846]

https://www.facebook.com/thegeordiethewitchandthewench/

Old 16-09-2017, 01:13   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

The ARC does not leave 'too early'. The trades blow in a regular manner when the high is present. Thru the winter, Nov till June, the high is actually quite weak with periods of semi-existence in some years.

The rally would not wait till June for the tradewinds as then the West Indies season would be just too short.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 05:08   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The ARC does not leave 'too early'. The trades blow in a regular manner when the high is present. Thru the winter, Nov till June, the high is actually quite weak with periods of semi-existence in some years.

The rally would not wait till June for the tradewinds as then the West Indies season would be just too short.

b.
lets hope this year, with what seems to be a very active hurricane season,does not have disturbances to those trade winds
Old 16-09-2017, 07:43   #38

Another new one , tho technically not trans Atlantic , young couple on a very nice heavenly twins going from Britain down the Atlantic coast to the med , nice down to earth vids .
Old 16-09-2017, 07:50   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Another new one , tho technically not trans Atlantic , young couple on a very nice heavenly twins going from Britain down the Atlantic coast to the med , nice down to earth vids .
post a youtube link please!
( by control c and paste from the address bar on youtube-- control v in your post on cruisersforum to add the video URL from youtube)FYI
Old 16-09-2017, 09:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Hmm that's contrary to my experience, which is that the trades blow more reliably in winter, starting in late December with the "Christmas winds" or whatever they are called. Have left the Canaries a few times about 2-3 weeks after the ARC leaves and always seem to have better better wind than they do when comparing notes on the other side.

And no the rally would not wait for the start of hurricane season to do the event, lmao.
Old 16-09-2017, 14:42   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

The way I have heard 'Christmas Winds' used was referred to stronger trade winds in the Antilles in this period. Statistically valid.

The challenge, however is how to get to this conveyor from (say) Canary Islands. The Islands are in trade winds (proper) from about June to about end of August. This is exactly why September brings what is locally known as 'calmas de Septiembre' (statistically proven). Past September we are in sort of variables, with clear NE domination.

But from about October to about late January there is no trade winds on this side and so the boats may either get a decent window and cross, or get a decent window to the CV and drop. Most boats, esp slow cruising pigs, elect to drop. We do too. Racers often go just across, direct route. But racers do not take off on a specific date selected by the organizers half a year ahead.

The trades can be counted on from about 300 miles West from CV, to the Antilles. At around 15N give and take or thereabouts. In an odd year, not at all.

This much said, the best over all trade wind conditions on this passage are expected from June till August. I think the records for E-W passage are beaten just then too, for same reason.

There seems to be some amount of confusion about Atlantic trade wind distributions possibly fueled by one commercial event taking place on the route. People are said what is good for the event so that they hop on the wagon of herd security and social fun. And since what they are told tends to coincide with possibly the safest period to cross, I do not see any harm in that.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 18:25   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I found this one,another Gem of wisdom,from a young couple cruising with great advice for Vloggers,and cruisers on low budgets,too good not to include.

not atlantic crossing related,but for those that intend to cross this year and remain for a year or so in the caribbean to top up the kitty....and there will be a LOT of work next year in all the carib islands that got hammered by IRMA this is a must watch!
enjoy.

Old 17-09-2017, 01:21   #43

Quote:
post a youtube link please!
( by control c and paste from the address bar on youtube-- control v in your post on cruisersforum to add the video URL from youtube)FYI
Sorry can't do that ( !!?? ) but can be found at " sailing kittywake "
Old 17-09-2017, 01:22   #44

Quote:
I found this one,another Gem of wisdom,from a young couple cruising with great advice for Vloggers,and cruisers on low budgets,too good not to include.

not atlantic crossing related,but for those that intend to cross this year and remain for a year or so in the caribbean to top up the kitty....and there will be a LOT of work next year in all the carib islands that got hammered by IRMA this is a must watch!
enjoy.

Saw that in the list yesterday but didn't watch , will now , ta
Old 17-09-2017, 01:24   #45

I liked to see the EU based ones as opposed to the continual stream of Carib / SPacific ones .

Tags
atlantic crossing, sailing, travel, videos, vlogs