Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:56   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2016 and upcoming 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai Tira View Post
Yep there has been serious fires, we personnally could only smell the smokes during cyclone Ophelia but some friends were surrounded by flames in Baiona.

So far the gearbox works fine we are now in Cascais I need to get my passport done in Lisbon so that might take a while... So no atlantic crossing for us this year.
We will spend some winter time in the Guadiana. No idea how cold it gets down there will probably need to invest in a woodstove.
thats good to hear,boats cross to the caribbean as late as april-may fyi.
about 10C is normal but it can rain a lot on the atlantic side.
quite a community of yachts wintering in the guadiana,have a few friends from falmouth there
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 15:05   #137

I want I want !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:13   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

new episode from the kiwis, i haven't watched it yet but they appear to have broken their steering
Old 05-11-2017, 17:28   #139

Another one , " Hilma " is well worth a watching ( Swedish couple heading down Euro coast towards Gib / Med )
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 01:50   #140

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Hi Guys,

we are currently in Las Palmas getting the boat ready for the ARC. So far, I have to say the ARC is amazing! So well organised with an amazing buzz around the marina. We are in the multihull marina and all the boats are helping each other fix and fit new parts.

The excitement here is tangible!

My better half is trying her best to get a vlog up each day in order that we catch up before we depart on Sunday so hopefully we will have some Atlantic prep on there too for you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2n..._as=subscriber
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 04:21   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Hi Guys,

we are currently in Las Palmas getting the boat ready for the ARC. So far, I have to say the ARC is amazing! So well organised with an amazing buzz around the marina. We are in the multihull marina and all the boats are helping each other fix and fit new parts.

The excitement here is tangible!

My better half is trying her best to get a vlog up each day in order that we catch up before we depart on Sunday so hopefully we will have some Atlantic prep on there too for you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2n..._as=subscriber
thanks for the update,good luck with the prep.
keep an eye out for the guys on palaran,and inspire.
how many onboard for the crossing?
atoll
Old 19-11-2017, 14:50   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

our intrepid kiwi adventurerers sail into rabat morocco, and another couple from the uk i found on you tube who are starting out on a RTW voyage with an atlantic crossing.

Old 25-11-2017, 06:19   #143
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Wow am I glad I'm not part of the ARC this year!! What a crappy weather system for the first 6 days.
Old 25-11-2017, 19:47   #144

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Interesting to watch their progress, look as if three boats have just turned back! Winds look similar to when I did it in 1983,30 days GC to Antigua!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 07:15   #145

Boat: sadler 32
Send a message via MSN to basile Send a message via Skype™ to basile

Sailing to Salvador da Bahia, in the Nordeste (North East)?

Know it was the original Capital of the country since 1549.
If you want to visit it in a secure and reliable way get in touch with @IvanBahiaGuide.
A Belgian expat (also sailor with several singlehanded transats in his book) living for over a decade in Bahia, knowing the local spots off the beaten tracks, and especially resolving the problem for those who don't speak Portuguese :-)

Visit the site for more information

Greetz

Bas
Old 28-11-2017, 09:59   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basile View Post
Sailing to Salvador da Bahia, in the Nordeste (North East)?

Know it was the original Capital of the country since 1549.
If you want to visit it in a secure and reliable way get in touch with @IvanBahiaGuide.
A Belgian expat (also sailor with several singlehanded transats in his book) living for over a decade in Bahia, knowing the local spots off the beaten tracks, and especially resolving the problem for those who don't speak Portuguese :-)

Visit the site for more information

Greetz

Bas
thanks for posting the link,sounds like a useful resource for those heading south before continuing on to the carib
Old 29-11-2017, 03:18   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

our budding kiwi voyagers,living it large,in rabat morocco

Old 17-12-2017, 08:28   #148

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bora Bora View Post
Hello!

Thanks for starting this thread...when we were preparing to live aboard and then leave the UK last year and head south we found out as much info as we could from vlogs and we're always looking for new people to watch so this has given us a few new ones

We have a YouTube channel (SV Bora Bora) and have finally started uploading our content...been a bit slack and learning the editing software is a real brain workout!!

We have four videos so far, fifth should be up by the weekend, of our journey from the UK to Portugal last year... Since then we've been into the western Med and Balearics and Morocco and will be crossing the Atlantic this year so we're trying hard to catch up to real time with the editing! We also have a detailed blog with lots of info on anchorages etc.

https://liveaboardsailboatuk.wordpress.com/

Here is the link to our Ep 1...

I'm finding this is one that I look forward to eagerly. Mostly due to the design of the boat, I'm interested in the Victory40/TrintellalV boats, but SV Bora Bora was the stuff that might make for a great youtube channel. I certainly think so. Not so sure about the link to your blog though, I get a Nothing Found
It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help. when I go to it..... maybe they haven't started it yet. Vloging is a serious time drain it seems. Hell I had a hard enough time maintaining a blog when refitting. I'm not sure I would be interested in doing it. But for those that do, hats off!
Old 22-12-2017, 17:47   #149

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Hi,
I thought I’d do a quick update. We made it across the pond and for all those doing it with the ARC next year... you’ll LOVE it! I’d whole heartedly recommend the ARC to anyone, but especially those on their first crossing. It helped us in so many ways. From briefings, advice, safety requirements to just being in the marina with so many others doing the same thing and comparing plans and strategies.

We blogged as much as we cloud but I expect it will be a couple of months until we catch up to the crossing on our channel. Hopefully it will be worth the wait, it was quite an adventurous 21 days.

Dave and Hayley.

Ps. We did 55 hours motoring in 21 days and 17 hours and came 3rd in our category! Very very pleased!
Old 22-12-2017, 19:07   #150

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'

We also made it over the ditch Ok. We decided to join Jimmy Cornells Odyssey fleet via cape verde. Just over 12 days from Cape Verde to Barbados.
Zero wind for the first 4 days so we had to motor very slowly at around 5.5kts.
Once the trades filled back in it was pretty good but still only 15-20kts. Managed a few 200nm days and were the first boat out of the Odyssey fleet that left from Cape Verde.
Notable things were the marlin we hooked and played for 20min, the amount of weed fouling the keel, rudder, hydrogenerator, and any fishing gear. The genrally lighter trades especially the first half, almost a full day variable winds 400nm out from barbados with it even going upwind for a few hours.

Very enjoyable crossing and the 3 kids 5, 7 and 9 enjoyed it and were very well behaved.

Had our share of drama leaving gibraltar bound for tenerife when the volvo shaft seal failed and we took on a lot of water. Man once they go they really do go! A steady unstoppable dribble. We had to use buckets at one stage to clear the batterues as the lumber hole blocked so the water wasnt going forward to the main bilge pumps. Anyway hauled out at alcadessa marina, pulled the rudder and prop shaft out and did the whole lot.

Now sitting in salt whistle bay on Mayreau and generally hanging with 6 other 'kids' boats from our odyssey fleet who are all still at the tobago cays.
Salt whistle bay is a great spot, a bit rolly tonight but the people are fantastic. Spent all afternoon ashore with the kids meeting heaps of locals the went back there for a few drinks tonight.
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, sailing, travel, videos, vlogs