Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Virginia Beach / Chesapeake Bay Area

Hello

Can someone please make a recommendation for a marina in the Virginia Beach / Chesapeake Bay area? I have a 35 foot sailboat -- dont need liveaboard now, but do want to know which area in which to start looking for a slip for my boat that has good marine services - and things to do/places to eat for weekend fun. I will be there this coming weekend to look for possible places to live and for a slip. I know NOTHING about the East Coast, less about Virginia! Might be taking a position up around Petersburg, but I do not think there are marinas in that area.

Thank you

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Virginia Beach / Chesapeake Bay Area

Look at Bay Point and Little Creek Marinas, These are in the Norfolk/Virgin Beach area. No real Sailboat marina that can accomdate your boat in Virginia Beach. I really like sailing out of the Little Creek area. If you are military active or retired you can keep your boat at JEB Little Creek for $4/Ft, most area marinas are about $7-8/ft
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

2nd for bay point. if you are lucky you can watch the seals train.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Matthews CTY Mobjack Bay,if relocating in Petersberg about 2 hrs away,lots of good sailing and friendly folk's
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:29   #5

Boat: Pearson 31

Some good places in Hampton. I can vouch for Salt Ponds Marina. I was there for a year and very reasonable rate, direct access to the Bay, nice amenities, floating docks and they don't mind live-aboards. Right across the creek from Salt Ponds is Southall Landing. I don't think it has much in the way of amenities and not keen on live-aboards.

There are a few others in Hampton but I've only stayed at Salt Ponds. I've got some friends over by Hampton City dock. I think Customs House Marina is right downtown.

Very few choices for sailboats on the Va Beach/Norfolk side but much more on the Hampton/Newport News side.

I was also up in Deltaville for this past summer and it's much more geared towards sailboats. It's a small town about an hour and half from Va Beach or Richmond.
cruzer757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:35   #6

Boat: Manta 42

I was here decades ago as a kid. I only know of its existence and have never used it. But it's at the southern end of VB.

Virginia Beach Rudee Inlet Station Marina Slip Rentals, Fishing Charters, Fuel & Restaurants
perkie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:54   #7

Rudee Inlet is still there but I'm not sure sailboats can get in there. It's on the Atlantic side of Va Beach, not the Bay..

BTW - in some areas draft is an important consideration.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:13   #8

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
http://www.atlanticyachtbasin.com/

Right in Chesapeake next to Great Bridge Bridge. Major stores and restaurants in walking distance. Deep water. On ICW at mile 12.

http://saltpondsmarinaresort.com/

Very nice facility in Hampton. Quiet and relaxing. Fuel dock, swimming pool, restaurant, tiki bar on site. Deep water. Right off the bay, sailing minutes after leaving dock.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:25   #9

Look in the Deltaville, VA area, many great marinas and 1.5 hours from Petersburg.
sailor0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:41   #10

Try dycboat.com
sailor0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20   #11

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer757
Some good places in Hampton. I can vouch for Salt Ponds Marina. I was there for a year and very reasonable rate, direct access to the Bay, nice amenities, floating docks and they don't mind live-aboards. Right across the creek from Salt Ponds is Southall Landing. I don't think it has much in the way of amenities and not keen on live-aboards.
Southhall Landings allows liveaboards. There are several who do. The amenities are very nice, pool, tennis courts, showers, and two saunas. It's in a gated community, so it's very quiet. A short kayak/dinghy ride to Salt Ponds tiki bar. And it's less expensive. 10 minutes you're downtown Hampton, or 5 minutes you're on a great uncrowded beach that still allows dogs.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I just left Bay Point Marina this summer. I think it is your best option if you want to sail while you are there. Very close to the Little Creek Harbor entrance. There are a few good restaurants nearby as well but not in the middle of what the area has to offer. You would need a car. Downtown Norfolk or Portsmouth would be more conducive if you do not want a car. VB is out of the question except for a small portion of Rudee Inlet and I am not sure if there is much of a Marina on the side you can access (There is a bridge that limits mast heights on the main side of Ruddee Inlet).
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
Southhall Landings allows liveaboards. There are several who do. The amenities are very nice, pool, tennis courts, showers, and two saunas. It's in a gated community, so it's very quiet. A short kayak/dinghy ride to Salt Ponds tiki bar. And it's less expensive. 10 minutes you're downtown Hampton, or 5 minutes you're on a great uncrowded beach that still allows dogs.
I've definitely seen some nice boats over there. When I was looking around I called them up and was told they already had too many live-aboards. So, seems they have a limit. But sounds nice if you can get in. I'm sure it was just a matter of timing.

Hampton has a lot going on in the Summer. Every Saturday night downtown has music and street party. They also host the Blackbeard festival.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Great advice by all. There are marinas up the James River if you want to live aboard closer to your work. This would not be as convenient for sailing the bay, but could cut down considerably on your commute. Jordan Point comes to mind. You'd need to check for availability.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:00   #15

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

York River Yacht Haven.....on the York river directly across from Yorktown. Great amenities, allows liveaboards near williamsburg.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay