Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 10:07   #121

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul
Careful handling that stuff. I will never forget the first time I was cooking up a pot of chili and decided to chop up several habanero ( Scot Bonnets) to add to it. In the middle of this, I needed to visit the men's room to download some beer.

This was my first real dancing lesson.
Absolutely hilarious anecdote there. And I am sure, since you have already faced the fury of the chilli, you will be the best person to use it against a boarder. Cheers peace, and happy spicy cooking.
Old 17-07-2012, 10:07   #122

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Violent crime in Bocas del Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiabbo View Post
a dog would be the first line of defense. all you need is a little feist to give you the heads up. i think a pistol with a suppressor for close work is pretty much a must have in this day and age.
Maybe you can ask the friendly customs agent if he knows where you can get the gun and silence reblued if it gets a little rusty on board
Old 17-07-2012, 10:09   #123

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mebbe i will wait in mexico longer or find strong male crew for panama.......
This season we sailed from Rio Dulce, Guatemala to Bocas del Toro, Panama. Spent a few weeks cruising the Bocas area without any cause for concern (although we do routinely take security precautions anyway). This is the first violent event I have ever heard of in Bocas. Hopefully it proves to be an isolated instance.

However, the last few seasons have seen a few firsts here in the western carib.

1. Belize: First ever attack on a charter vessel (Moorings boat brutally attacked -- similar to the Bocas incident). I ran charters in Belize for 5-years -- never even gave such an attack a thought because they have never occurred before.

2. Punta Sal, Honduras. Boat under way just off shore boarded and robbed. There have been incidents in the anchorages here in the past, but this is the first boarding offshore I know of. Have passed Punta Sal a few times in the past couple of seasons and have always given it a wide berth just in case.

3. Port Royal, Roatan. Boarding and Robbery. Again, first I know of in this anchorage -- I have anchored there many times before w/out incident.

4. Guanaja, Roatan. Boardinig and Robbery. First ever of a cruising boat there that I know of. I've spent lots of time in Guananja prior to this event and was there again this season. Never had any concerns about security there. Fortunately, this appears to have been a single isolated event and they caught the guys. (Note for the stupid thieves handbook: don't comit a crime on a small island when you are the only outsider around).

5. Rio Dulce. The Rio has had it's share of problems, but our little peaceful village of Cayo Quemado has always been a secure haven. No issues with boats being robbed here in the past (at least not in recent memory). Unfortunately this year the trend was broken (two boats robbed, but fortunately no significant violence).

And now Bocas. Obviously there is a trend here. I expect the combination of the war on drugs, increased anti-gang activity here in the CA-4, and a bad economy is pushing some of the bad guys into other "vocations".

All good reasons for us cruisers to be more safety conscious. Also, something to add to the list of design and outfitting considerations for a boat.
Old 17-07-2012, 12:58   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
Walking thru the boonies of Guam one will encounter the Boonie pepper,a small bush about a foot tall with very tiny peppers..If you just touch or rub against this little pepper you will fill very very bad for a while...one pepper about a 1/2 inch long is all it takes to bring a grown man to his knees...They say the brown tree snake came to Guam from a cargo ship out of India,I think the boonie pepper got there the same way so it might be the same one that is being discussed here...now how do we get the bad guys to eat it while they are robbing us...DVC
How to make them eat ? bleddy Simpal!

Once you retire to your cabin. Locked in/bolted. Leave some left over red wine or scotch in the cockpit with a 'tandoori' chicken' (should look red, well bbqd). Am sure no badass will overlook that temptation. Tandoori chicken has to be laced with 5-10 gms of bhut jolokia or an equivalent variety of Mexican red chilly. It should be so hot that even if the lowlife spits out after a quick bite - the damage will be done. :-))
Old 17-07-2012, 15:14   #125

Question Re: Violent crime in Bocas del Toro

I've read many in this thread recommend some kind of system with sirens and horns as a possible tactic. Has anyone here actually installed such a system on their boat? Would you provide details on how you installed it? Has it ever been tested in real life?
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Old 17-07-2012, 15:33   #126

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Careful handling that stuff. I will never forget the first time I was cooking up a pot of chili and decided to chop up several habanero ( Scot Bonnets) to add to it. In the middle of this, I needed to visit the men's room to download some beer.

This was my first real dancing lesson.

In addition to asking for "permission to come aboard" I was going to ask to stay a few days with you too. While there I was going to ask for some of that "famous" Conch Chili too. Not now though. I just don't like "hot" food at all. Spicy is fine as long as it is not "hot".

But the other two are still on the burner for "some day".
Old 17-07-2012, 15:39   #127

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blc7 View Post
I've read many in this thread recommend some kind of system with sirens and horns as a possible tactic. Has anyone here actually installed such a system on their boat? Would you provide details on how you installed it? Has it ever been tested in real life?
I have a motion detector in the cockpit with a remote alarm down below. It is wireless so super easy install.

Fortunately, I have never had it set off by any bad guys.

Plan to add a very loud (120db) external alarm this season. I expect that combined with existing very bright deck lights would effectively eliminate the element of surprise.
Old 18-07-2012, 04:19   #128

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blc7 View Post
I suggested a bright light and a horn or siren.
It is totally unnessesary in Australia and I wont be fitting one to my boat,
We in Oz dont have these problems with intruders,

As you roll out of your bed, your hand will rest on the edge of the bed to allow you to sit up, Do it a few times to make sure where your hand lands on the edge of the bed, Thats where your switch goes,

A simple on/off switch is all you need, two wires, one positive and one negative goes directly to your battery terminals, Two wires goes directly to the light up the mast,
A spot light or driving light from a car is all you need, Its waterproof and cheap,

150 or 200 Watt light, from Walmart or Ebay.com 20 or 30 dollars, USA. I dont know the costs,

A horn or siren is a car unit that pumps out at least 120 Decibels, also waterproof. Attached to the mast, also by two wires that connect the horn to the switch beside your bed,
Have a second switch that the horn goes through, That way you can have the light and the horn on, or just the light,

Less than a hundred dollars for the lot,
Its very simple, but its all you need,
Old 18-07-2012, 04:24   #129

Boat: Lagoon 440

Wiring diagram provided!!!!
Old 18-07-2012, 05:51   #130

Air Horns!!! 150+ dB.

200 PSI 5 Gallon tank Super Loud 152 dbTrain Air Horn
Old 18-07-2012, 07:02   #131
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

You might want to consider an infared motion detector, mounted low in the cockpit so that feet on board would trigger it but things going on outside the boat would be shielded and not cause false alarms.

Could use a double throw (on-off-on) switch for Mr. B's bedside idea, one position arms the system and use the motion detector to trigger it, with the other on position like a panic alarm.
Closed Thread