Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 19:37   #376
cruiser

Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

When people live in an area when everyone is rich or everyone is poor, there is minimal crime, especially minimal violent cirme. But, where there is both rich and poor, the bigger the disparity the higher the violent crime rate.
For example, I think of the people living in the favelas in Rio. They want what the rich pri_ks that live half a mile away in copocabana beach have, and they will kill for it. If everyone was poor in Rio, I bet there would not be much crime.

I have absolutely no facts or figures to back this up, it is just a theory I have held for a while.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 20:32   #377

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Surely that can't be a comprehensive list? In a world with billions of people and thousands of cruisers, a violent incidents list will be much more than a page? Because that list makes cruising seem safer than going inside an East Oakland High School.
Just to make up some numbers...if 5 thousand cruisers are spending a year in the greater Caribbean and every year 1 sailor get murdered then the murder rate is 20 per 100,000 for a given year. This is 4 times the murder rate in the USA.

If 100 yachts sail past the coast of Venezuela every season and one sailor ends up getting murdered every 5 years the murder rate is 200 per 100,000. That number is a little less than double the highest murder rate ever recorded for any country on the planet.

The point here is simple, these numbers are somewhere within the ball park. Consequently, cruising in the Caribbean may possible be a little more dangerous than one might imagine. Situational awareness is the best defense.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 20:56   #378

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well the statistics would prove that statement incorrect. The UN statistics in 2012 give intentional homicides in the UK at 1.2 /100000 and 4.7/100000 in the US. If one limits it to gun crime the ratio widens to nearly 1to 10

While one cannot make a direct causal relationship. It is reasonable to suggest that in the UK the lack of widespread availability has contributed to a far lower incidence of homicide by gun ( UK 2011 was 0.04/100000)

One cannot compare within a country because no country has really changed its gun laws significantly to allow a before and after analysis. Closet might be Australia which demonstrated a 18% reduction in homicides after the introduction of tighter controls
Dave
Don't bother. The UK murder rate is the same now as it was before folks like you thought it a splendid idea to turn yourselves into a nation incapable of doing anything when one of your soldiers is attacked with a meat cleaver in broad daylight, other than stand around wondering what to do. Point in fact, your murder rate increased after confiscation and has declined to what it was pre-confiscation. Switzerland has few gun control laws, everyone is armed and the murder rate is half the UK's. Russia has lots of gun laws, and its murder rate is 2.5 times that of the US. Zero correlation exists between strict laws and murder rates, but that doesn't stop some from insisting otherwise.

And no, Oz does not prove your point, if you take the time to look at a range of studies that exist on that experiment.

All that said, gun control debates are completely pointless. Those that favor them will not be convinced however much data is presented, so please carry on.
Old 16-11-2013, 06:03   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Just to make up some numbers...if 5 thousand cruisers are spending a year in the greater Caribbean and every year 1 sailor get murdered then the murder rate is 20 per 100,000 for a given year. This is 4 times the murder rate in the USA.

If 100 yachts sail past the coast of Venezuela every season and one sailor ends up getting murdered every 5 years the murder rate is 200 per 100,000. That number is a little less than double the highest murder rate ever recorded for any country on the planet.

The point here is simple, these numbers are somewhere within the ball park. Consequently, cruising in the Caribbean may possible be a little more dangerous than one might imagine. Situational awareness is the best defense.

If you use that analogy then you could use the Chicago murder rate for the entire USA.
If you sail along the coast of Venezuela your chances of violence rise exponentially, as they do in Somalia. In order to measure violence among the entire cruising population you must include the world. Not just places where it is foolish to cruise in the first place.
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 06:27   #380
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

It's funny how when people run out of things to say specifically about an actual crime-related event like the one that prompted this trhead, the posts always devolve into irrelevant crime statistics, polemics, and ideological rants. The original event gets buried in the BS.

*not aimed at any specific poster, just a general comment.
Old 16-11-2013, 07:06   #381
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

you need to name names as they wouldn't get it
Old 16-11-2013, 07:51   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
It's funny how when people run out of things to say specifically about an actual crime-related event like the one that prompted this trhead, the posts always devolve into irrelevant crime statistics, polemics, and ideological rants. The original event gets buried in the BS.

I'm not sure the crime stats are any more accurate in other countries than they are in the US.

I am reading Hal Roth's book, Always A Distant Anchorage and he mentions running into a couple, one of whom had been shot by boarders while anchored at Road Town in the 80's with absolutely no mention of it in the papers or radio at the time (page 34 and 35 for those who have the book).

I was interviewing an informant once who told me of a mass murder of eleven people in 2004 in Cancun (drugs of course), where he had driven the killers to the airport to fly there for the hit. I couldn't find it in the papers and thought he was making it up. I called up an agent there and he said, not only was it true, but they had cut off the heads and lined them up across the main road into Cancun. I asked him why I couldn't find it in any of the papers and he said, "You won't ever find bad news like that in the papers around here. They know it scares the tourists."

The moral being, we probably don't ever really know the risks, anywhere. And, no news is not necessarily, good news.

None of that would stop me from going where I wanted to go. But, knowledge is power. And, knowing what you don't know, is wisdom.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:02   #383

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The moral being, we probably don't ever really know the risks, anywhere. And, no news is not necessarily, good news.

None of that would stop me from going where I wanted to go. But, knowledge is power. And, knowing what you don't know, is wisdom.
Right to the point!!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:55   #384

Does anyone have any recent information about the victim's condition and/or the status of the animal who wounded her?
Seafrontiersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 12:39   #385

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

regarding the incident mentioned in Hal Roth's book, I remember it well as I still have two scars to show for it, one, in,one out, about 22 cal I estimate. You are right that nothing was ever mentioned, nor did I ever give my name or details at the hospital and a bill was never brought up for the medical care I received.
I continued to cruise the area for several more months on "Candlewin" without losing any sleep over it and never felt my family was in danger. There are certainly some parts of the world that I would not feel the same.
Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 15:37   #386

The reports I've read states that the beast who tried to murder those people @showed no remorse"......so he has been caught. I wonder what, if any, punishment he will receive?

Does anyone have any info?

I'm hoping that he was not, in typical turd-world fashion, released quietly because he was victimizing rich White people.
Seafrontiersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:26   #387

Any news on the arrest of the boys ?
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 17:17   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think it's pretty simple actually, and as a beginning to age warrior (retired AH-64 pilot) I thin Col. Grossman says it much better than I ever could, looks like there maybe some ports of call I'll have to miss, maybe?

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
Hmmmm, sounds all very well, except for in many many situations of war and violence, both sides think they are the "sheepdogs".
Old 25-01-2014, 17:33   #389
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Hmmmm, sounds all very well, except for in many many situations of war and violence, both sides think they are the "sheepdogs".

You are absolutely correct. To think that way is often the only way you can get a good, decent person to commit war. That or convince them that their God wants them to do it. When the Chinese entered the Korean War they fought very hard, largely because they were told that we had invaded China and they were fighting for their families.
War is a terrible, horrible thing. A huge reason for some that have fought one, is so that others do not have to. No one hates war more than a soldier, no one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 17:37   #390
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Ah yes Grosmanns idiot piece , a calling card for the NRA , nothing more , badly thought out, badly researched s, badly written nonsense

Dave

Tags
cruise, cruiser