Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 05:31   #271

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Posting from from the Cruisers Network Yahoo group
Quote:
. Re: Cruising the Grenadines
Posted by: christina_curtin@....... christina_curtin
Date: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am ((PDT))

Good day, Christina from S/V Rainbow here. After our incident on Frigate Island and the quick actions of the SVG Police. Our assailants are in custody and we have already been to a preliminary hearing last friday. We had not planned on cruising the Grenadine's after our attack, but since the hearing and the interaction w/ the SVG police, we do plan on going back. The security meeting that we held at Port Louis, hopefully will make all (us) cruiser's aware of safer sailing and anchoring. We had a fabulous day of snorkeling and great sunset fishing. 3 good sized snappers (the best fishing we've had down here yet) anchored off of Frigate. We are heading back in a couple of weeks, if you would like to buddy boat, please join us.
We cannot take back our anchorages, because they are not ours, but we can make them safer.
Christina
full and safe sails

---In cruisers_network_online@yahoogroups.com, <walterconner@...> wrote:

We have been receiving conflicting information about the safety of cruising in the Grenadines. We are aware of the attack at Tobago Key last year and the recent attack on s/v Rainbow at Frigate Island. We also know these can be random events that can happen anywhere and at any time.

We would like to get input from cruisers who have spent considerable time in the Grenadines and can advise us on the viability of cruising there and suggestions on the best places to anchor and snorkel.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Walter Conner
Old 23-10-2013, 06:17   #272
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Lots of post do not add in any constructive way. that is the nature of the beast.

There was no wrapping in a flag of any sort. One poster thought to denigrate the US and its politics specifically in regards to the president and gun ownership RE revolt.

That oath which I quoted is in gist all over the place in the US> Oath of enlistment, oath of office, oath of citizenship.

There were 2 points that were lost: first the US is a country of laws codified in the Constitution. The second is that it is every US citizens DUTY to defend the constitution and remove by any means required an unlawful government.

Of course governments break their own laws and sometimes get away with it for a long time before being pulled back to lawfulness. And the US is a stellar example of government far, far away from its principals.
Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 06:26   #273

I am planning a trip from St. Lucia to Grenada. Would this incident or crime and violence in the area deter any of you that have cruised this area from going back?
Mcullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 07:05   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mcullins.

I wouldn’t be deterred, by this incident.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 10:24   #275
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcullins View Post
I am planning a trip from St. Lucia to Grenada. Would this incident or crime and violence in the area deter any of you that have cruised this area from going back?
Absolutely not! The Grenadines offer some of the best cruising grounds in the Caribbean.
Old 23-10-2013, 16:27   #276
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Absolutely not! The Grenadines offer some of the best cruising grounds in the Caribbean.
Exactly, don't skip this like suggested.

But be streetwise. Some posters show a naïvity that is bound to end in drama. Do not think that this was an incident that never happens again because it happens again like it did in the past. Ask "what's his name" on happy island about how friendly and honest the islanders on Union are. What he had to endure while building his island on the reef. Or ask the customs officials when their offices are stacked to the ceiling with contraband about how they approached the smugglers. These are not hulu hooping flower people.

When you keep an eye out like you should, same as in every big city, and don't go to places you're told not to go to, like in every big city, then you will be okay and have the beat of times in the Grenadines. We liked Bequia in particular.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 16:47   #277
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This is what the human race is evolving into. Don't start me on this again
I know, every thread like this in the world ends up arguing about guns or anchors , or both , terrible

Dave
Old 23-10-2013, 16:47   #278
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcullins View Post
Yes, I dont cruise St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 20:31   #279

Boat: cal 2-25
Just an observation here.....I would think cruisers are not all alike just as folks on land or anywhere else. Some will go toward what seems to be a problem for someone and some will run away. I would like to think I would run toward the distress call...or the scream in he dark.... Like to think so at least. Stand up for what ye think is important....on the sea or on the land...no difference.
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 21:02   #280

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Hmmmm, that's an interesting statement, considering that theft and violence are had by all skin colors/shades....
Quite true. And under no circumstances can we allow any humor to intrude on our self of self-righteous political correctness, so thank you.
Old 23-10-2013, 21:29   #281
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Hmmmm, that's an interesting statement, considering that theft and violence are had by all skin colors/shades....

I have not heard of any boarding attacks from non-locals. Including the murder in Venezueala a month ago, the killing in SVG 2012, the attack in Tobago 3 weeks ago, this one, the murder in Thailand in 2009, the 4 murders off Somalia 2011, or the numerous robberies without blood.

The only white or cruiser murders committed have been 4 seperate murders where solo sailors have invited crew on board for long passages: 2 in the Caribbean 2010, 1 south pacific, 2010 and one Indaian Ocean 2012/3(?)

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:18   #282

Four warning shots, oops
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 04:15   #283

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Millar View Post
Four warning shots, oops
Atleast blow an air horn, and flash your spot light..... you could do this while hiding....call over the radio...do something the coward.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 05:39   #284

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I have not heard of any boarding attacks from non-locals. Including the murder in Venezueala a month ago, the killing in SVG 2012, the attack in Tobago 3 weeks ago, this one, the murder in Thailand in 2009, the 4 murders off Somalia 2011, or the numerous robberies without blood.

The only white or cruiser murders committed have been 4 seperate murders where solo sailors have invited crew on board for long passages: 2 in the Caribbean 2010, 1 south pacific, 2010 and one Indaian Ocean 2012/3(?)

Mark
Where do you get this information? I tried google and can't find any thing with the solo sailor theory you've come up with.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 05:47   #285
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I have not heard of any boarding attacks from non-locals. Including the murder in Venezueala a month ago, the killing in SVG 2012, the attack in Tobago 3 weeks ago, this one, the murder in Thailand in 2009, the 4 murders off Somalia 2011, or the numerous robberies without blood. The only white or cruiser murders committed have been 4 seperate murders where solo sailors have invited crew on board for long passages: 2 in the Caribbean 2010, 1 south pacific, 2010 and one Indaian Ocean 2012/3(?) Mark
We had a Spanish "cruiser" killing two other cruisers here in Panama. He was caught and dealt with.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser