Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 06:53   #226
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post

Or maybe you lot need an annoyed population with weapons so you can revolt?

Hey! Wait! Your population is armed! And, apparently, armed for exactly this purpose!

So..... what are you waiting for? To get more pissed off before you take action? Your gubmint hasn't done enough to annoy you yet? Or you lot are just too whipped into obedience to react when you need to? Lacking a charismatic revolutionary leader from Hollywood?

What, exactly?
You need to spend some time in the southern states to get a feel of the people and culture, before you could start to dream about judging them. In the mean time, it is pretty safe to assume that people all over the world are fine folks who don't care much for their government.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 07:04   #227

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
. In the mean time, it is pretty safe to assume that people all over the world are fine folks who don't care much for their government.
That much is very true!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 07:13   #228

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

MARK! ANYONE...! Can someone rename this thread "Another &&£"^*"* GUN thread" and then open a new one to keep the rest of us informed on...
The recovery of the victims
The progress of the investigation
The circumstances surrounding the attack

PLEASE?
Old 13-10-2013, 07:21   #229

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Not off topic at all. This is a really controversial subject and the particulars of the situation probably dictate whether using protective force would help, or make the situation far worse. That said, in this case I think I would prefer to light up the chest of someone coming on my boat with a machete with a laser sight on an LCP Ruger that fits in any pocket than try to defend my loved ones with kitchen utensils. Yes, you can get into a lot of trouble with firearms on board, so it really becomes a question of what risk you feel more comfortable with - your ability to hide a 4" x 4" piece of metal or hoping if you are attacked on board, your attacker is not a psychopath.
I am in total agreement with Delfin. Very easy to hide a 4x4 piece of metal and sleep much better at night.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:07   #230
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
I am in total agreement with Delfin. Very easy to hide a 4x4 piece of metal and sleep much better at night.

It's not the 4" piece of metal that's hard to hide, it's the ammo. Customs dogs are trained to detect gunpowder, and they will sniff that stuff out. If you try to smuggle a gun you are a moron.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 09:02   #231

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It's not the 4" piece of metal that's hard to hide, it's the ammo. Customs dogs are trained to detect gunpowder, and they will sniff that stuff out. If you try to smuggle a gun you are a moron.
Yep, a moron! And re the sleeping well at night... wonder how well you will sleep in that third world jail that they will throw gun-smuggling morons into?

We've seen a couple of such cases over the years, including the professional skipper of a large British motoryacht in Fiji. He served some time in a very grim jail, situated in downtown Suva, lost his job and deserved every bit of it IMO.

If you absolutely MUST carry firearms, do declare them. The consequences for not doing so are severe.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-10-2013, 09:34   #232
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Or maybe you lot need an annoyed population with weapons so you can revolt?

Hey! Wait! Your population is armed! And, apparently, armed for exactly this purpose!

So..... what are you waiting for? To get more pissed off before you take action? Your gubmint hasn't done enough to annoy you yet? Or you lot are just too whipped into obedience to react when you need to? Lacking a charismatic revolutionary leader from Hollywood?

What, exactly?
Revolt is not the right word. Just take a look at the oath that many here have sworn:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:08   #233

Wow, sorry to hear about this sad incident. I'm glad it wasn't worse. Speedy recovery to both of you.

As to the rest of you that have destroyed this thread, regardless of your beliefs surrounding gun control or politics, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Two people were savagely attacked and hurt. Where is your compassion?
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:44   #234

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Wow, sorry to hear about this sad incident. I'm glad it wasn't worse. Speedy recovery to both of you.

As to the rest of you that have destroyed this thread, regardless of your beliefs surrounding gun control or politics, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Two people were savagely attacked and hurt. Where is your compassion?
Hmm... thread destroyed? 200++ posts and going strong, most of them offering good thoughts for the victims and other compassionate feelings.

Me? I feel no shame here!

wtf are you on about?

Jim
Old 13-10-2013, 11:09   #235

I don't think gun or mace would have been helpful to the op a dog would have been nice but not much on dogs security cameras or maybe an electric fence going around the boat. camera would allow u to visually see with no much power draw for peace of mind just a thought
earlyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 11:20   #236
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
wtf are you on about?

Jim
Maybe this kind of tripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Revolt is not the right word. Just take a look at the oath that many here have sworn:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 12:56   #237

Boat: cal 2-25
To begin with , I hope the cruising couple recover from this unusual and just plain wrong act. And much respect to those that assisted them during that ordeal. My wife and I are new and like many others, in that we share the desire to travel to these type places that are relatively close by. There are lots of things we would put on our list of practices and procedures for this type of travel but I will be honest,....plans to fend off young misguided islanders swinging a machete would be somewhere down the list below the procedure for what to do if a great white shark manages to somehow land in the middle of our cockpit interrupting our evening refreshment. We hope that this is not something we need to spend large amounts of time and effort preparing for,..let alone having it even in conversation.

I hope this is an extremely rare occurrence and that just having a standard and somewhat normal awareness of ones surroundings should be just fine and dandy. Security bars make sense at night or while away but that's as far as our minds have gone. I would think something this awful is more than extremely rare and when it does it just gets a lot of attention and resulting chatter that sticks around longer than justified . As far as trying to look un-wealthy ?........wow ,..we got that one took care of easy peasie.

Mark
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 13:29   #238

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Let's see a plan for hiding a 4 x 4 piece of metal after you've used it.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 14:54   #239

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

Best wishes to the couple for a speedy recovery, both physically and mentally. Very unfortunate circumstances but hopefully they were living their dream and accomplishing their goals when this happened.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 19:03   #240

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, a moron!
Cheers,

Jim
Gosh, Jim, that's a bit harsh. There was a time when one definition of a moron was a man unwilling to protect his family. Times change, I guess.

Tags
cruise, cruiser