Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35   #136

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Honestly no they don't and never did sell assault rifles; but what they did sell was designed to have a similar appearance if you go by the DoD definition. This isn't really relevant though to the conversation aside from trying to offer accuracy.

How about a slightly different question:

From what has been said this couple was eating dinner in their salon and were attacked by people swinging machetes. If this was your situation what would you do ASSUMING NO FIREARM PRESENT? I personally keep trying to think this through knowing I have basically kitchen utensils in my hands. Realistically this situation could happen anywhere a person decides to be a criminal. My first thought was to pop the table off the mount and use it defensively trying to get to a radio or phone.

My best to the injured cruisers. May you heal quickly and resume your journey.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:45   #137

Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
And, they have great prices, too. I know several people who have picked up a Colt 6290 for $1097 at our local Wal-Mart (we're down south and not part of the group that want them to stop selling them). Hard to beat that price.

Even though, technically, an "assault weapon" is a select fire gun, which Wal-Mart has never sold. But, I know that people who don't know much about guns don't know that, so I let it slide.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:02   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Even though, technically, an "assault weapon" is a select fire gun, which Wal-Mart has never sold. But, I know that people who don't know much about guns don't know that, so I let it slide.
Do you see how effective and pervasive this misinformation campaign has been?

You apparently know something about firearms and you just stated that an assault WEAPON is a selective fire weapon which it is not.

A selective fire, or fully automatic, weapon is an assault RIFLE which is banned.

They look similar but they are many moons apart as I know you know.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10   #139

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Awwww c'mon guys, I came to this thread to find out how the crew of Rainbow are?
Any news?
Not to read another gun thread....ugh!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:54   #140

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gilana,

Yes, it would be good to hear that Christine's surgery went well and that she and Mark are recovering well from the ordeal. In the mean time, all we can do is offer up our best hopes for them.

Ann
Old 08-10-2013, 16:29   #141

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I disagree. SVG has been off my list since I started.

I will certainly be bypassing it on my way back up too.

There are millions and zillions of great places here in the Caribbean without having to go to SVG, Dominica or Venuzuaela.

Mark
Is Dominica bad now? We were there in 2009 and it was fantastic - didn't see or hear of any problems there.

The Grenadines include 15 islands. Is Mustique dangerous? Mayreau? Palm?

Until this incident and one in the Tobago Cays, I haven't heard of much danger in the Grenadines that would cause me to bypass it entirely.

Besides, wasn't a boat just attacked in your Prickly Bay Grenada?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:11   #142
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
C'mon Third Day,

We've only had 1490 shot and/or killed since the beginning of the year. How dangerous can that be? Sadly, the overwhelming number of casualties are Black and occur in the South and West side of the city(Black). The rest of Chicago in the White areas are peaceful and have relatively little crime. These statistics are well documented in the following site:

HeyJackass!: Chicago Murder, Homicide & Crime 2013 Stats ...

www.heyjackass.com/‎Also, remember, crime statistics are relative to the population. So, a small
country like New Providence, has a murder rate higher than Los Angeles, Ca.

Cruise Law News : Maritime Lawyer & Attorney : James M. Walker : Walker & O'Neill Law Firm : Admiralty Law, Cruise Ship Accidents & InjuriesCaribbean Islands

Good luck and safe sailing.

Your arithmetic is a little off there. Crime statistics are linked to population number, specifically incidenced per hundred thousand is standard in the US. This makes the statistics comparabe from city to city *in theory.*

In fact Chicago is experiencing a resurgence of gang violence which artificially raises their crime rates for the people who live in non-gang areas. Those statistics, broken out by communities within Chicago, tell a very different story.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15   #143

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Since some of you are so freaked about terminology Minaret didnt call it an Assault Rifle, the Huffington post did. So did I. Sorry to have left out the word "LIKE" out. Using a bazooka to hunt deer doesnt make it a deer gun, but thanks for your long a$$ diatribe thread drift explaining so...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28   #144

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

I hope you make a full recovery and the criminals are aprehended. There is no guaranteed way to avoid incidents like this. There are bad people everywhere. Getting one over on the attackers is not much consolation if you or your crew suffer what seemed like very serious injuries. Joshua Slocome put carpet tacks on his deck before going to sleep as he knew any intruders would be barefoot. That worked for him. Cruisers should share any ideas as to how to keep the bad guys off your boat. Many Cruisers have adopted what may seem like crazy defense tactics. Any thing that deters even to a small degree is worth knowing about.
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:17   #145

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Link to blog and pics from attack. My apologies if this link is in an earlier post:

Let’s all ensure anchorages are for cruisers NOT criminals! | amarulasail
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:23   #146

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Quote:
I disagree. SVG has been off my list since I started.

I will certainly be bypassing it on my way back up too.

There are millions and zillions of great places here in the Caribbean without having to go to SVG, Dominica or Venuzuaela.

Mark
Union is part of SVG of course and not by choice! They tried their damnest best to be part of Grenada when the Britts split their country in two.

Union is quite different than St Vincent which I agree you should avoid and like you refuse to anchor there. And if you must then Blue Lagoon or Young Island Cut are the only places you will not risk attack. Theft yes but attack not so far.

You can stay at Union, Mayereau, Canouan, Bequia quite safely normally. This attack at Union is quite a shock. Grenada, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, Nevis St Kitts are more dangerous than Union.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30   #147
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Is Dominica bad now? We were there in 2009 and it was fantastic - didn't see or hear of any problems there.

Besides, wasn't a boat just attacked in your Prickly Bay Grenada?

Mark
Hi Mark
Dominica is off my list because of boat boys.

Prickly Bay boat was broken into and 2 laptops and 2 kindles, money and wallet stolen on Sunuday afternoon between 2 and 4pm with people in boats all around and no one saw it actually happen. People were not on board. They are quite security conscious.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:45   #148
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
how the crew of Rainbow are?
Any news?
Hi,

They are doing very well.
I was with them yesterday and some naughty lady had something in her drink that the doctor didn't prescribe! I'll bet it was the best medicine yet!!

For the second time I shook Marks hand too strongly; and gave Tina my bear-hug and pat on the back... nearly popping the stitches there!

They both had big broad smiles and cracking jokes like normal. Tina wasn't wearoing any bandage over her face so it was great to see she wasn't shy of showing it, but also the wound looks terrific, swelling comeing down, stitches look great, no redness, no teeth damage. Mark looks worse, actually, because he has stitches in his hair and on his chin so as the bears starts to grow and the hair grow he is looking like Rambo in the jungle. Girls prolly think he's lookin cute

So they are both going great, terrific attitude, looking ahead! Inspiring stuff. Really

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58   #149

Quote:
Hi, They are doing very well. I was with them yesterday and some naughty lady had something in her drink that the doctor didn't prescribe! I'll bet it was the best medicine yet!! For the second time I shook Marks hand too strongly; and gave Tina my bear-hug and pat on the back... nearly popping the stitches there! They both had big broad smiles and cracking jokes like normal. Tina wasn't wearoing any bandage over her face so it was great to see she wasn't shy of showing it, but also the wound looks terrific, swelling comeing down, stitches look great, no redness, no teeth damage. Mark looks worse, actually, because he has stitches in his hair and on his chin so as the bears starts to grow and the hair grow he is looking like Rambo in the jungle. Girls prolly think he's lookin cute So they are both going great, terrific attitude, looking ahead! Inspiring stuff. Really
That's really amazing stuff and really good to hear.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:42   #150

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hi,

They are doing very well.
I was with them yesterday and some naughty lady had something in her drink that the doctor didn't prescribe! I'll bet it was the best medicine yet!!

For the second time I shook Marks hand too strongly; and gave Tina my bear-hug and pat on the back... nearly popping the stitches there!

They both had big broad smiles and cracking jokes like normal. Tina wasn't wearoing any bandage over her face so it was great to see she wasn't shy of showing it, but also the wound looks terrific, swelling comeing down, stitches look great, no redness, no teeth damage. Mark looks worse, actually, because he has stitches in his hair and on his chin so as the bears starts to grow and the hair grow he is looking like Rambo in the jungle. Girls prolly think he's lookin cute

So they are both going great, terrific attitude, looking ahead! Inspiring stuff. Really
This is the stuff that real yotties are made from, and it is great to hear.

Thanks, Mark, for posting that.

Jim

Tags
cruise, cruiser