Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 06:14   #286
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We had a Spanish "cruiser" killing two other cruisers here in Panama. He was caught and dealt with.

Thats the 2 I noted for 2010 where the guy became crew of a solo sailors boat... He did it twice, and was caught painting out the name of the second boat. The boats were doing the illegal Columbia back packer run, wern't they?

I think the first one was in the December, and the next in the February the next year(?)

Quote:
Where do you get this information? I tried google and can't find any thing with the solo sailor theory you've come up with.

These things are not well reported, and only reported at the time.
The one in the Indian ocean in the last year the guy who was the crew member was arrested, I think, in the Seychelles. Took him a bit to explain why he had thrown the only nav computer overboard. It came out the owner kept a very detailed daily diary on it.

He was up on murder somewhere. The owner an Australian, if I remember correctly.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 06:25   #287

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Thats the 2 I noted for 2010 where the guy became crew of a solo sailors boat... He did it twice, and was caught painting out the name of the second boat. The boats were doing the illegal Columbia back packer run, wern't they?

I think the first one was in the December, and the next in the February the next year(?)

These things are not well reported, and only reported at the time.
The one in the Indian ocean in the last year the guy who was the crew member was arrested, I think, in the Seychelles. Took him a bit to explain why he had thrown the only nav computer overboard. It came out the owner kept a very detailed daily diary on it.

He was up on murder somewhere. The owner an Australian, if I remember correctly.

I found some news reports on it. I guess they never convicted anyone though.

Leaves me to question letting people onboard. Also the movie "becalmed".

Who is willing to put up the finances for these international water incidences, as it seems with other rescue attempts as long as we show face, there is little required for any country to participate in such crimes/disasters.

From the article..

""Our understanding is that this was done because they have determined that the incident took place in international waters and is therefore outside their jurisdiction," said family spokeswoman Judith Middleton. "
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 15:39   #288
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats the 2 I noted for 2010 where the guy became crew of a solo sailors boat... He did it twice, and was caught painting out the name of the second boat. The boats were doing the illegal Columbia back packer run, wern't they? I think the first one was in the December, and the next in the February the next year(?) These things are not well reported, and only reported at the time. The one in the Indian ocean in the last year the guy who was the crew member was arrested, I think, in the Seychelles. Took him a bit to explain why he had thrown the only nav computer overboard. It came out the owner kept a very detailed daily diary on it. He was up on murder somewhere. The owner an Australian, if I remember correctly.
No crewing, just killing them for their boats after loosing his own during a storm and too much alcohol. Don, one of the victims, was a good friend of ours and his body hasn't been found. The other case was a Frenchman who was found with an anchor around his neck, on the bottom.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 15:51   #289
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm pretty sure that guy is rotting in jail. There was actually a 48 hours news special on it last year. Was a real kick to see the San Blas and other anchorages we had been in on TV.

They tracked him down trying to cross into Columbia on horseback. The hostess at the hotel turned him in after he hit on her an saw a new bulletin for his arrest. Was like the last hotel between him and jungle.
Old 24-10-2013, 16:38   #290

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcullins View Post
I am planning a trip from St. Lucia to Grenada. Would this incident or crime and violence in the area deter any of you that have cruised this area from going back?
While the tragedy has been well discussed and like everyone else I was shocked to hear of the tragedy and extend my most sincere wishes for a full recovery to the victims of that senseless attack, I would NOT eliminate the Grenadines from my itinerary. I have been cruising the eastern Caribbean for the last 4 cruising seasons and have steadfastly maintained that the Grenadines are among my favourite cruising islands. I cherish the extensive time and always positive experiences I have ALWAYS experienced in Grenada, Sandy Island, Carriacou, Union Island (and surrounding small islands), Mayreau, Tobago Cays and up to Bequia (always a highlight in the Grenadines - lots of cruisers). I usually give St Vincent a pass and do the day sail between Bequia and St Lucia.

I do not minimize the terrible effects of the recent tragedy to our cruising colleagues but given the situation of my annual, always safe, trips enjoying the Grenadines, my advice remains positive - do not miss the Grenadines! Of course, one always needs to be mindful of ones surroundings and exercise due care in selecting anchorages and being 'smart' during on island explorations but isn't that what is required in our travels throughout the Caribbean and, indeed, in all the favoured travel destinations world-wide anyway?

In my 5-6 month annual cruising stints in the eastern Caribbean for the last 4 years, about a third of the time I am single handing (between family and guests coming aboard) and that includes single handing in the Grenadines as well.

The Grenadines are to be respected and enjoyed!

Teej
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 12:57   #291

Well said Teej!! I love the carib, especially St. Lucia, Curacao, etc.. Waters and people are outstanding!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12   #292

Boat: Lagoon 400
Just returned from a charter in the Grenadines. Locals went above and beyond to prove their hospitality, probably due to this unfortunate event. As always, just be cautious, but I would not hesitate to go back in an instant. Interaction with locals was very pleasurable and a highlight of the trip.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18   #293
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The Grenadines were one of our favorite spots in the eastern Caribbean, and the people there were a big part of the attraction.

It's nice to see three positive posts in a row.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:19   #294

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Recent posting by another CF member on FaceBook.

Warning … graphic picture!

Visitors injured in brutal attack in Union Island return to help stakeholders find solutions | I-Witness News
Old 08-11-2013, 13:46   #295

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Wonderful response! Congratulations to Christina and Mark. Somehow they have emerged victorious.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 18:17   #296

I'm not sure I agree that she came out "victorious". Too afraid to sleep on their boat without locking themselves inside is (understandably) a sign of the mental scars that match the physical one. She is extremely lucky. A couple of inches lower and should could've been decapitated. I hope the perpetrators of this crime are sent to prison to rot. My personal choice would be to remove them from the gene pool, but we all know that will never happen.

Did anybody else read the other articles linked in the article above? The comments from the locals are especially enlightening regarding the lackadaisical attitudes of the government towards the protection of tourists, especially sailors & cruisers.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:46   #297
Marine Service Provider

On a side note, the Caribbean Safety and Security Net (Caribbean Safety and Security Net) has updated their site, making it a little easier to find things.
They were featured in an article in Cruising Compass, that referenced the attack, also.
donweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27   #298

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

They both have an awful lot of courage.

More than me.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:05   #299

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I suppose different people will take different lessons from this incident. Sadly, it confirms that there are people in the world who will decapitate a women for a few dollars. Nothing new, of course, but given the existence of such evil in the world, I always have a hard time seeing how the desire of some to want to be able to protect themselves is seen as wrong by others, and worthwhile forbidding.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11   #300

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I suppose different people will take different lessons from this incident. Sadly, it confirms that there are people in the world who will decapitate a women for a few dollars. Nothing new, of course, but given the existence of such evil in the world, I always have a hard time seeing how the desire of some to want to be able to protect themselves is seen as wrong by others, and worthwhile forbidding.
I couldn't agree more. Its not "if" its going to happen, its "when" its going to happen!! BE PREPARED! (Its the Boy Scout motto)
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser