Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 22:32   #196
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
We're a big country, so I don't blame foreign visitors for wondering, because they read the news. They've heard about that whack job in Cleveland who made sexual slaves out of three women for 11 years. They've heard about John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy. They've heard about all the shootings in Chicago, but not the highly selective nature of it, because news is presented in sound bytes now.

WE don't get balanced reporting. Certainly foreigners will not.
"Dead baby in dumpster...news at 11".

Good news doesn't sell.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09   #197
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: where ever my anchor is
Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Posts: 215
Images: 3
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
The last time that I was in St. Thomas, a tourist got her head chopped off at the far end of Morning Star Beach, away from Frenchman's Reef. Bad things do happen in "paradise".
How many years ago was that? I have lived here 26 years and have never heard that one.

In 26 years of sailing the caribbean I have had my dinghy fuel tank stolen twice.

I did get mugged in Palm Beach though.

I sure hope the crew is doing better. What a horrible experience.
__________________

__________________
Gary Shanti's blog
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will get you back on the freeway"
seacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:34   #198
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ow heading north
Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow
Posts: 77
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Have you ever been to Texas or Florida? Two states that allow citizens to carry weapons. Have you seen anyone there "flashing" their weapon? They are called "concealed gun permits" - notice the word "concealed".
Yes 10 yrs in each state - Laughlin AFB where I learned how to fly and Homestead AFB where I retired

I stated no such thing. I merely referred to an email I received. It's from the NRA - go argue with them

I cherry picked NOTHING.
Chicago Not Actually ‘Murder Capital’ Of, Well, Anything « CBS Chicago
__________________
Capt Bert Q
taking some time off - Falkland Islands
reefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28   #199
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

It seems inevitable that threads like this always get taken over by posters holding forth with the same old crap about which weapons to use against intruders, stats about crime in Chicago or wherever, and dire warnings about traveling to cruising destinations where crime may exist.

It's sad, really, for at least two reasons. One, those of us who simply want to keep up with any actual developments concerning the cruisers involved, and any progress in catching and prosecuting the perps have to wade through all the sickening claptrap that we've all read before in similar threads. And two, those who want to get into cruising and perhaps had hoped to visit these islands have no real way of sorting the BS from the truth, and end up getting an extremely biased view of the risks involved in the cruising life.

The truth is, that if you listen to advice to avoid the Grenadines and Union Island, you'll be missing some of the best cruising in the Caribbean. If you adopt the attitude, suggested by some here, that you have to be armed (with either lethal or non-lethal measures) and need to constantly be on alert to detect and repel attackers, you'll never enjoy the pleasures of getting to know some of the friendliest, kindest people I've ever met. You'll be constantly looking over your shoulder to see if evil lurks in the shadows rather than enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery and ambiance in the Caribbean.

Sure there is crime in the islands, but your chances of experiencing it as a cruiser are very, very small. Take normal precautions as you would where you live right now. And take all negative comments here with a large grain of salt.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04   #200
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
It seems inevitable that threads like this always get taken over by posters holding forth with the same old crap about which weapons to use against intruders, stats about crime in Chicago or wherever, and dire warnings about traveling to cruising destinations where crime may exist.

It's sad, really, for at least two reasons. One, those of us who simply want to keep up with any actual developments concerning the cruisers involved, and any progress in catching and prosecuting the perps have to wade through all the sickening claptrap that we've all read before in similar threads. And two, those who want to get into cruising and perhaps had hoped to visit these islands have no real way of sorting the BS from the truth, and end up getting an extremely biased view of the risks involved in the cruising life.

The truth is, that if you listen to advice to avoid the Grenadines and Union Island, you'll be missing some of the best cruising in the Caribbean. If you adopt the attitude, suggested by some here, that you have to be armed (with either lethal or non-lethal measures) and need to constantly be on alert to detect and repel attackers, you'll never enjoy the pleasures of getting to know some of the friendliest, kindest people I've ever met. You'll be constantly looking over your shoulder to see if evil lurks in the shadows rather than enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery and ambiance in the Caribbean.

Sure there is crime in the islands, but your chances of experiencing it as a cruiser are very, very small. Take normal precautions as you would where you live right now. And take all negative comments here with a large grain of salt.

Why does being "constantly alert" have to mean that you'll never enjoy anything? Personally, I try to stay constantly alert wherever I go, here in the US most of all. Doesn't prevent me from enjoying myself one whit. Only takes a little bit of thought and preparedness. I don't need to convince myself I'm "safe" in some non existent idyllic paradise to enjoy myself. The real world doesn't work like that. Just basic street smarts. I don't mind "looking over my shoulder to see if evil lurks in the shadows" at all. You can choose to believe there is no evil and never ever look behind you if you like; me, I'm sussing those shadows out to see what's in em! No reason being basically security conscious means you can't have fun. As a dad sailing with little kids, I couldn't sleep at night any other way. It's part of my job. If something like this happened on my boat, I would probably go jump off a bridge...
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53   #201
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
It seems inevitable that threads like this always get taken over by posters holding forth with the same old crap about which weapons to use against intruders, stats about crime in Chicago or wherever, and dire warnings about traveling to cruising destinations where crime may exist.

It's sad, really, for at least two reasons. One, those of us who simply want to keep up with any actual developments concerning the cruisers involved, and any progress in catching and prosecuting the perps have to wade through all the sickening claptrap that we've all read before in similar threads. And two, those who want to get into cruising and perhaps had hoped to visit these islands have no real way of sorting the BS from the truth, and end up getting an extremely biased view of the risks involved in the cruising life.

The truth is, that if you listen to advice to avoid the Grenadines and Union Island, you'll be missing some of the best cruising in the Caribbean. If you adopt the attitude, suggested by some here, that you have to be armed (with either lethal or non-lethal measures) and need to constantly be on alert to detect and repel attackers, you'll never enjoy the pleasures of getting to know some of the friendliest, kindest people I've ever met. You'll be constantly looking over your shoulder to see if evil lurks in the shadows rather than enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery and ambiance in the Caribbean.

Sure there is crime in the islands, but your chances of experiencing it as a cruiser are very, very small. Take normal precautions as you would where you live right now. And take all negative comments here with a large grain of salt.
Perfect Hud. The few posts that I did here, I tried to lighten the tone up by joking around a little. Understandably and sadly, the weapon suggestions generally come from the posters of a certain country claiming a very low homicide rate. That I never get. I think if a cruiser is cruising, they get a better understanding of an area to go to by other cruisers who have just been there.
People that feel they need to stay "constantly alert" have probably done so all their life and do not have any reference on what life is when just relaxed and in the now.
Our society seems to teach the young violence through video games and desensitizes them. This is just my opinion of course.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13   #202
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Photo of Gun repository in Grenada



When you clear into Grenada this is where your guns go and have their own holiday. No matter what you are going to protect yourself with, a machine gun, pistol or Rambo gun it will be safely in this fort at the top of the hill.
The closest you can get to is it the US$2 tour the police give of the fort (but doesnt include the armoury)
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13   #203
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Perfect Hud. The few posts that I did here, I tried to lighten the tone up by joking around a little. Understandably and sadly, the weapon suggestions generally come from the posters of a certain country claiming a very low homicide rate. That I never get. I think if a cruiser is cruising, they get a better understanding of an area to go to by other cruisers who have just been there.
People that feel they need to stay "constantly alert" have probably done so all their life and do not have any reference on what life is when just relaxed and in the now.
Our society seems to teach the young violence through video games and desensitizes them. This is just my opinion of course.


Do you have kids? I have six year old twins. Constant alertness comes with the territory. Somehow I doubt you are a parent. Being "relaxed and in the now" is not a luxury a parent gets often, at least not a good parent....
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27   #204
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Do you have kids? I have six year old twins. Constant alertness comes with the territory. Somehow I doubt you are a parent. Being "relaxed and in the now" is not a luxury a parent gets often, at least not a good parent....
Yes...I am a parent...of 4 and now grown up. I raised them with out TV...without video games and without any undue paranoia. 2 of the 4 have degrees. All 4 are well adjusted and productive, friendly members of society. Your claim of a parent not being a good parent if they have a relaxed attitude is absurd. Good parents need to create a safe environment for their children for sure but not at the cost of instilling fear in them.
Regardless...aside from the thread shift, I am glad the couple are making a speedy recovery.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 14:47   #205
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

"It's like what I said about Chicago: many parts are quite safe. Even in the neighborhoods where there is gang activity, they aren't interested in you. Just keep on driving. I know people who won't drive through any "Black" part of town at night. They're idiots. The gangsters are looking for gangsters who balong to a rival gang -- not you and me. Rakuflames


Sorry for the thread drift, but the last three sentences are not only false, but dangerous to believe if you're traveling in Chicago and people should not believe what was said above is even remotely true. The reason the crime is largely Black on Black is because no White people live in those neighborhoods otherwise, the statistics would show some variation based upon percentages. It is not just gang violence between gang members but car jackings, armed robberies, rapes, kidnappings and home invasions that result in shootings and murders for the unfortunate decent souls that live in those areas. Our late and celebrated major, Jane Byrne, who was in no way a liberal femme fatale, wanted to show Chicagoans the 100% Black populated Cabrini Green housing projects were safe and moved in to prove her point. In a much televised departure, she left in two weeks for fear of her life albeit with an army of Chicago Police as her escorts. As someone who grew up in the city, these falsehoods are dangerous and patently untrue and could only be believed by someone with no first hand experience of our city or any other urban ghetto nationwide.
__________________
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 15:00   #206
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,426
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
How many years ago was that? I have lived here 26 years and have never heard that one.

In 26 years of sailing the caribbean I have had my dinghy fuel tank stolen twice.

I did get mugged in Palm Beach though.

I sure hope the crew is doing better. What a horrible experience.
I haven't heard that one either... BUT...

V.I. homicide rate still among world's highest - News - Virgin Islands Daily News
__________________
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 15:21   #207
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 30
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
So the homicide rate in V.I. is ~2.5 times higher than in the Grenadines (22.87 per 100,000), which by the way is about the same as Brazil (24.2).

To continue with statistics, the homicide rate in Mexico is 23.69.

That being said, millions of people from all over the world visit Mexico and Brazil every year and the above mentioned statistics hardly impact tourists.

So guys and gals, go out and enjoy the world.

The unfortunate crime (thankfully not a homicide) that has started this thread has been dealt with by authorities and we all hope the victims have a speedy recovery.

Thats my 5 cents!
__________________
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
de0xyrib0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 15:44   #208
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Guys, start a thread about this ( Caribbean crime etc.) it obviously is important to you. Please don't muddle this thread with gun talk, a gun wasn't even involved. Start a new thread if you like
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 17:21   #209
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Guys, start a thread about this ( Caribbean crime etc.) it obviously is important to you. Please don't muddle this thread with gun talk, a gun wasn't even involved. Start a new thread if you like
I fully agree and suggest this thread as it is still open: Security
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 17:52   #210
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I fully agree and suggest this thread as it is still open: Security
Glad to reread that Jedi.

I only disagree with one part (It is a conscious, moral decision.) because we are finding more and more that genetics determine not only eye color but brain wiring. Research done - much more needed.
__________________

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.