Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 09:54   #1

Boat: Island Packet 460
USVI to Leewards without clearing out

I know the US doesn't require me to clear out, but will C&I in various countries in the Leewards let me in without having done so? I recall hearing the French islands are OK with that, but maybe not others (e.g. Anguilla)?

In case you're wondering, Plan A is to go to BVI first (clearing in & out), but if we happen to hit an awesome weather window while still in St John, it would be nice to 'go for it' without circling back to Cruz Bay.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:41   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: USVI to Leewards without clearing out

No worries, Jim. Just tell them that you're the spearpoint of the invasion force, and if they agree to surrender RIGHT NOW and without any fuss, you'll just take their women and cattle and gold, and skip the general burning and pillaging and all that messy stuff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:13   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I did it a few months ago and it was fine.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:21   #4

Boat: PT-11

We just came from Puerto Rico to USVI without checking into USVI. Came USVI to St Martin without checking out USVI. Small hassle on Dutch side checking in but ultimately no problem. Seriously not worth finding a clearance place from an isolated anchorage on S side St John.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 14:43   #5

Boat: Island Packet 460

Thank you all for responding. I think I'll skip the pirate invasion storyline, though, given the well known sense-of-humor drought worldwide in C&I offices.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:47   #6

Boat: Outbound 46

As we were clearing into Antigua a couple of years ago, we witnessed a conversation between a "professional" captain and the customs officer. They had left in a motoryacht from Florida, and this was their first landfall. The customs officer asked for their outbound clearance, and the captain said that the US didn't require it. The officer said that THEY required it, and told the captain to return to Florida to get the necessary clearance. I can only imagine the scene when the captain had to report this to the boat's owner.

Except for the BVI, I think all of the former-British islands will be sticklers for this. The BVI has come to an arrangement with the USVI to waive the requirement, since it was a constant source of hassle for all involved.

In practice, the French islands NEVER ask for previous port's clearance, but are happy to provide an outbound clearance. I should probably have told the guy to pop over to St. Barths to solve his problem, but I was too busy laughing. Don't know if they made it all the way back to Florida.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:57   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I second what DMCantor has stated - the only countries that are OK with leaving the US without exit clearance are the BVI and the French Islands. While St. Martin accepted entry without the appropriate exit, I am certain that the ex-British colonies with their penchant for naval paperwork will not be amused and the reaction DMCantor showed is going to be typical.
Just to add some information to the thread, when I cleared out of the USVI recently and told them I was heading to Dutch St. Martin they did tell me that I needed exit papers. In addition, I have it from the horse's mouth that non-Visa holders can use the method of entering the USVI from the BVI via ferry, then returning to the BVI and taking their boat across and clearing into the USVI. This information came from the immigration officers at Cruz Bay in April 2016 so was current at that time.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:54   #8

The French are marvelous people but rather unpredictable regarding formalities. The English and their cousins the Germans are as retentive as can be about formalities. If you go to a French territory first and get your check in/out papers, then you should be ok with the Anal countries. However, its always best to get clearance when you leave America. Suspect the captain in the above example was harassed due to being a commercial situation. If you were just Suzie Sixpack sailing in on a log, things would be different.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJim View Post
I know the US doesn't require me to clear out, but will C&I in various countries in the Leewards let me in without having done so? I recall hearing the French islands are OK with that, but maybe not others (e.g. Anguilla)?

In case you're wondering, Plan A is to go to BVI first (clearing in & out), but if we happen to hit an awesome weather window while still in St John, it would be nice to 'go for it' without circling back to Cruz Bay.
You won't have any issues in Anguilla. To make things go faster, use e-sea clear. Customs will have your information, and check in will be fast and free! go into Road Bay. Customs and immigration is the blue building straight ahead as you are walking down the dock. Hitch up your dinghy on the right side of the dock as you're going in.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:08   #10

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

how would I even get a clearance out of the US? Where would I go? What would I ask for?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:16   #11

List of islands that never asked us for US clearance;
TCI, DR, Jamaica, BVI, Anguilla, SXM (Dutch or French) St.Bart, Grenadines, Dominica, St. Lucia. It just didn't matter to them. I even was the last boat out of Road Bay last September heading over to the lagoon because of the tropical storms coming thru, and Anguilla (where I am a guest), told me to just go and we will fix everything when I got back. I really love the fact that the Caribbean isn't near as much into restricting a person's travels as is the US. In the USVI, it is common practice for ICE to stroll the docks asking boaters disembarking " Why didn't you check in" in an attempt to get you to tell on yourself.. Pitiful IMO. BTW, how many of you have endured the St. John fiasco to check in??
Old 09-05-2016, 10:22   #12

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Going from Blaine WA to Vancouver do I need to clear out of the US before clearing into Canada?
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:31   #13

Boat: PDQ 44i

St John check in is quick and easy, and they are very friendly. Having a LBO (local boater option) card makes it a 5-minute job. If you are going to enter and leave the US often, you should get one. You need to go through an interview process to get the card, but once you have one, then to re-enter the USA there is literally no paperwork to fill out. Just give your LBO number and show your passport.

After leaving the USVI, we generally make our next landfall in BVI, Guadeloupe or Culebra , and of course the French islands don't inspect the exit papers from ANY island. Just fill out a brief on line form, pay your 2 euros, and you are in, for as long as you want to stay. Gotta love the French islands. Puerto Rico (Culebra) doesn't need USVI exit papers, either, and they also accept the LBO card. Last time we visited the Spanish Virgins, they allowed us to check in by phone using the LBO. We didn't even have to go to the immigration and customs office. BVI doesn't require exit papers, either.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 14:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
St John check in is quick and easy, and they are very friendly. Having a LBO (local boater option) card makes it a 5-minute job. If you are going to enter and leave the US often, you should get one. You need to go through an interview process to get the card, but once you have one, then to re-enter the USA there is literally no paperwork to fill out. Just give your LBO number and show your passport.

After leaving the USVI, we generally make our next landfall in BVI, Guadeloupe or Culebra , and of course the French islands don't inspect the exit papers from ANY island. Just fill out a brief on line form, pay your 2 euros, and you are in, for as long as you want to stay. Gotta love the French islands. Puerto Rico (Culebra) doesn't need USVI exit papers, either, and they also accept the LBO card. Last time we visited the Spanish Virgins, they allowed us to check in by phone using the LBO. We didn't even have to go to the immigration and customs office. BVI doesn't require exit papers, either.

We too have an LBO, and We just call. If you However if you dont have an LBO, you better time your arrival into St.John carefully. If you arrive during ferry's, charter returns from bvi, you will be there for over an hour easy. Also good luck finding a place to drop a hook.. Just the plain truth of it.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
You won't have any issues in Anguilla. To make things go faster, use e-sea clear. Customs will have your information, and check in will be fast and free! go into Road Bay...
Anguilla is not currently using E-Sea Clear or SailClear. Pre-print your manifest (four copies for them) to avoid using carbon paper (yes, carbon paper) sitting in the office. Attached is a PDF form that you can use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Anguilla IMMIGRATION MANIFEST 2.pdf (246.3 KB, 79 views)
Shiny_sxm is offline   Reply With Quote