Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 21:26   #1

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40
USVI Options for 8 Day Trip

Hi All,
My wife and I have chartered three times before: twice in the BVI, once from Grenada.

This year we're taking friends who have experience levels ranging from novice to fairly experienced, and for logistic reasons we're starting from St. Thomas USVI.

Any recommendations for routes and stops? Pros/cons/comments/well thought out reasons appreciated! Ideally we'd like to:
-Get off the beaten path
-not provoke too much anxiety in our more novice crew
-avoid motoring

Thanks in advance!
ps: if you have owner's time on a USVI charter boat for the first week of May, please let me know
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:58   #2

Boat: IP 370
Re: USVI Options for 8 Day Trip

Try the Spanish Virgins. Vieques and Culebra are gorgeous! Overnight Honeymoon Bay on Water island. Great sail down to Vieques, recommend staying overnight in Esperanza on the south shore, El Quinipo is a great restaurant, the malecon is a great place to hang out Beaches are beautiful and the publico's can take you anywhere. From there sail up to Culebra, enter Ensenada Honda, anchor behind Cayo Pirata and dingy to the town of Dewey. Great restaurants, El Eden, Zaco's Taco's, Dingy Dock Bar. Check out Flemnco and Zoni beaches. Head over to Culebrita climb to the lighthouse and go to Tortuga Bay Beach. From there it's 3-4 hour motor back to St. Thomas. A truly delightful trip. You'll love it.
sailrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:50   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Sailrmn gave you an excellent itinerary. My only addition would be to consider the forecast before departing. If seas are forecast to be much above 5' the trip back to St Thomas can really be a slow uncomfortable trip. More then a few times I've left the SVI a day or two early to avoid worsening forecast sea conditions. I've been pleased with my decision each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:02   #4

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40

Thanks for the info @sailrmn!

With the emergency of Zika virus, are there any spots in the SVI that should definitely be avoided because of mosquito risk?
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote