Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 14:27   #1

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager
US Dollar Checks Accepted in Bahamas?

I hate the thought of carrying a lot of US$ cash. Will US$ checks be accepted say for fuel and other large purchases?
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:40   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: US Dollar Checks Accepted in Bahamas?

Dont know of anyone who accepts US checks in the Bahamas. Makes sense to me. Bahamians dont even use checks among themselves.

No need to carry lots of cash. Get a US debit card on the same account you are writing checks out of. There are ATMs and banks where you can get cash to spend. Also bring a credit card, just in case. And your passport for ID at the bank.

Been doing that for years and it works well. By the way, there are a thousand places to hide money on a boat.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:52   #3

I used travelers checks a lot, but it's been 10 years+.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:53   #4

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Many places in the US don't even take out-of-state checks unless they have some kind of electronic verification system to make sure your check is worth the piece of paper it's written on. Cash is king in the Bahamas. Credit cards are a close second, or use a debit card and visit ATMs.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:54   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Credit cards work reliably every where in the world, although be sure your bank issues one with a "chip" because Europe has moved completely over to those and there are now places that cannot take just the mag stripe type anymore. ATM/Debit cards usually work, but less reliably so. I've run into problems with them not being able to authenticate the PIN, so if you rely on them, I'd carry a backup credit card just in case.

Nobody outside the U.S takes checks for anything in my experience, and certainly not checks drawn on a foreign bank. I've traveled to over forty countries and never seen them used. Personal checks are a U.S. phenomenon that is largely past. Only grocery stores seem to take them anymore here in California.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 16:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

+1 on cards with chips.. even in Canada the mag strips don't work!
Old 28-04-2015, 16:11   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

Just to complicate things a little, make sure at least one of your cards is "chip and PIN" as there are many places that will only accept that variety. I have a couple of US issued cards that are "chip and signature", the banks in question won't issue (don't have the setup for) a PIN. But when you get to some vendors they may not even have a (working) printer, or may just have a policy, and so a PIN can be a requirement.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 17:06   #8

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcruiser View Post
I hate the thought of carrying a lot of US$ cash. Will US$ checks be accepted say for fuel and other large purchases?
Given the size of your boat I think you will be fueling up big time. Better bring a credit card. Many vendors will charge you an additional percent for using a credit card, but you won't know which ones until you get there and you also won't know what percentage.

Bahamians are most accustomed to paying in cash so you will get your best price that way. You can get cash with your debit card at bank ATM's or going inside the bank and dealing with a teller. Be sure to bring your passport when going in a bank. I do not use any ATM that is not attached to a bank, but I do the same here in the states. Also, not all banks are open every weekday or all day. On some islands the bank is only open one day and then for a few hours. So keep a stash of cash hidden on the boat somewhere for those inconvenient times.

Forget checks. No one will take them, not even the banks.

As to the chip cards, I don't think they will work in the Bahamas. They are still pretty rare here in the states and probably non-existent in the Bahamas. Your old debit and credit cards will work well.

Also, fill your water tanks when you are fueling up. You will usually get a better rate on water when you also buy fuel.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 20:34   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

The chip cards also have a mag stripe. They work everywhere.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 22:48   #10

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Who uses cheques (English and Australian spelling) in this day and age? I have not drawn one for over 10 years and have not received one for probably 5 years. Everything in Australia now is credit card, bank transfer or cash. Nobody gets their salary in cash or cheque in Australia and government departments only pay by bank transfer.

Get a credit card and a debit card. You can also get travel debit cards which you can load with other currencies. I used one in UK and Europe 2 years ago. Even in remote parts of Pacific you will find ATMs.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:07   #11

Boat: Custom, Ketch, 50 - N'Ice

Have stayed in the Bahamas many months over several years. The three main banks are Bank of Bahamas, Royal Bank (Canada) and Scotia Bank (Canada).
Debit cards work fine - but be ready to pay the greedy bank ATM fees. If you have debit card that is from same bank as ATM machine you will pay $3.00 (as of last year). If your debit card does not match the ATM bank it will cost a minimum of $3 + $2 = $5.00
One point - the Canadian banks are everywhere BUT you can only spend US dollars ! Let me tell you why - the greedy banks catch all Canadians two ways - greedy ATM fees AND greedy currency exchange rates in the winter (yep-in the winter when everyone wants to be there !).
Example - in february of this year a Canuck who took $100.00 out of a bank will end up paying $130.00 from her/his account. Minimum of $3.00 for ATM fee and in february the xchange rate was 27% (100 x .27 - $27.00).
Your withdrawal limits will be small as well (they want to hit you more times with the withdrawal fee !). So, if you need $500 and the limit is $300 (typical) then you will have to do 2 withdrawals (thats $6.00 ATM fee - $10.00 if you don't hit your own bank).
REMEMBER - its NOT the SERVICE you pay for - its how many stupid people that use it that make the banks get greedier. So keep on withdrawing - the rates will be much higher if you do.
And, the Bahamians (understandably) wonder why we yachties do not SPEND more when we are there ! They say - why do you bring so much with you from the US ? Well, because we don't want to pay the greedy banks all those fees AND we DON'T WANT TO CARRY AROUND A LOT OF CASH AND BECOME A TARGET !
northiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:20   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I was in Antigua, cash was king. Many places did not take plastic...only the high end tourist places. USD were as good as ECD, but identified you as a tourist. There were only 2 ATM on the whole island, and they were hit and miss if it was going to work for you....I went with a handful of cards and not one worked. Fortunately, I'm canadian, and the place is filthy with canadian banks in the capital, so I was ok.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:58   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Have yet to meet a vendor that refused cash. Not many ATMs in the Exumas.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 29-04-2015, 12:46   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiceman View Post
Have stayed in the Bahamas many months over several years. The three main banks are Bank of Bahamas, Royal Bank (Canada) and Scotia Bank (Canada).
Debit cards work fine - but be ready to pay the greedy bank ATM fees. If you have debit card that is from same bank as ATM machine you will pay $3.00 (as of last year). If your debit card does not match the ATM bank it will cost a minimum of $3 + $2 = $5.00
One point - the Canadian banks are everywhere BUT you can only spend US dollars ! Let me tell you why - the greedy banks catch all Canadians two ways - greedy ATM fees AND greedy currency exchange rates in the winter (yep-in the winter when everyone wants to be there !).
Example - in february of this year a Canuck who took $100.00 out of a bank will end up paying $130.00 from her/his account. Minimum of $3.00 for ATM fee and in february the xchange rate was 27% (100 x .27 - $27.00).
Your withdrawal limits will be small as well (they want to hit you more times with the withdrawal fee !). So, if you need $500 and the limit is $300 (typical) then you will have to do 2 withdrawals (thats $6.00 ATM fee - $10.00 if you don't hit your own bank).
REMEMBER - its NOT the SERVICE you pay for - its how many stupid people that use it that make the banks get greedier. So keep on withdrawing - the rates will be much higher if you do.
And, the Bahamians (understandably) wonder why we yachties do not SPEND more when we are there ! They say - why do you bring so much with you from the US ? Well, because we don't want to pay the greedy banks all those fees AND we DON'T WANT TO CARRY AROUND A LOT OF CASH AND BECOME A TARGET !
Not disputing our Canadian Big Six banks know how to charge fees,but I am surprised if you held an acct. with a Cdn bank,in Canada, or a USA branch of that bank,that you would be charged a transaction $3 fee to access your money at a branch of that bank ,in any country.
As far as the exchange rate-$Cdn to $US-our dollar is currently trading between $.75-$80 US. You will pay that exch rate regardless if you exch Cdn cash for US$,or use a C/Card or "ATM" card & whether you are in Canada or anywhere else in world. It costs a $1.25 Cdn to buy one US$,plus approx 3% fee for doing the exch.Just the way it is.

US citizens may want to check out US branches of Cdn banks.
Disclaimer-I have never worked for any bank-Cdn or foreign.
But over a lifetime of cross border shopping,etc-I have always been mind boggled by the difficulty experienced by US citizens at US banks. Two weeks to clear a chk!!-get real. Same day here.
What about PayPal?
Travellers chks? American Express Travellers Cheques - RBC Royal Bank

Cheers/Len
Old 29-04-2015, 12:47   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Bahamians will take US checks for a few things. Long term moorings, & Dockage (More than a month) is not uncommon. Credit cards work well almost anywhere. A few thousand dollars is the size of a pack of cigs. Just have a good hiding place and leave it alone unless needed.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas