Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20   #1

Turks & Caicos

We are planning a cruise to the Bahamas arriving mid February for about 3 months. The boat is 47ft Selene trawler (5'9" draft). Initially we thought we would extend the trip to the T&Cs but recently I have read reports that it may not be worth the trouble, and we might be better off staying in the Bahamas. Comments seemed to suggest that it is difficult to get a cruising permit for more than 7 days, no good anchorages, and too built-up with large hotels (compared to Bahamas out islands). I would appreciate hearing from cruisers who have been there, what their experiences were, and whether they would bother to go back.

Thanks, Chris
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 13:43   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
I woke up there this morning. I flew in so I can't comment on the cruising permit but I do agree that there's not much to see. When cruising I would look at it as a step towards the BVI.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 14:31   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I spent a week in the lee of Ambergris Cay waiting for weather. The fishing was great. The conch were plentiful. The lobster abound. There was lots to see on the windward beach of Ambregris, and the water was clear. No other boats and aside from the drug interdiction planes playing 20 questions, a nice spot.
Old 06-10-2010, 21:30   #4

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
I agree - it's a stopping point on the way south. There are some cool things about T&C, like a few beach bars, the banks are beautiful and apparently the fishing etc., is plentiful... but you can get all that in the Bahamas. I don't know. I didn't do a lot of exploring, as I was working / passing through... so I may not be the best guy to offer advice, but from what I saw, I didn't see much as far as a cruising destination. I would prefer the Exumas frankly, unless my intent was to head on down to the DR and east to the VI, Leewards or wherever. In that case, it's worth a stop, and a decent place to provision etc.

Rob

Tags
Bahamas, Turks and Caicos