Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2010, 19:09   #1

Transportation from Panama City Airport to Port of Colon, Panama

Hello,

I'm travelling in April 2011 and am booking a flight into Panama City Airport to arrive on time for an 1830 sailing from Port of Colon. The flight arrives in Tucomen (PTY) at 1345 hrs.
What is the best and most cost efficient way to get to the Port of Colon on time ? (2 hrs prior to sailing)
Any advise is appreciated.
Kirstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 19:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Maybe this link will help.

How to get to the Colon free zone
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 19:39   #3

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirstee View Post
Hello,

I'm travelling in April 2011 and am booking a flight into Panama City Airport to arrive on time for an 1830 sailing from Port of Colon. The flight arrives in Tucomen (PTY) at 1345 hrs.
What is the best and most cost efficient way to get to the Port of Colon on time ? (2 hrs prior to sailing)
Any advise is appreciated.
It has been a couple of years since I flew into PTY, but I believe it is about 30 minutes east of town and the canal. It was about a $30 or $40 taxi ride to the city. I believe there is a train that runs from Panama City to Colon which a lot of people use to go to work in Colon every day but I think it runs to Colon in the morning and back in the afternoon.

Another option is taking a bus from Albrook Transportation Terminal. This is the main hub of transportation for buses and domestic airlines. I think they leave about every 30 minutes and takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

It can also take up to a couple of hours to get out of the airport, so plan accordingly.

Not sure how much that helps, but hope it gets you started in the right direction.

BTW, Overall, Panama is great, but Colon is the most dangerous city in Panama, so stay in very public areas and avoid it at night... Dennis
Old 30-06-2010, 19:51   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Hi Kirstee. Welcome aboard!

I started the same thread a short while back and had some great replys. Check here. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lon-39418.html
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 23:03   #5

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
If you decide to take taxi you may contact Jose Saenz: bocasfrog at yahoo. com
He can pick you up from Tocumen and take you to Colon directly. Jose is dependable, trustworthy and speaks decent English.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
FREE Geographical Information System SIG Panama

If you're sailing around the world, at some point you will likely find yourself in Panama.
SIG Panama offers an extensive database of over 35,000 businesses with monthly updates, digital maps of Taboga, Bocas, Colon and Free Zone as well as Contadora Island.
Your options are endless and the program's efficiency guaranteed.
And the best part, after you download SIG, you don't need the CD or to be connected to the Internet to use the program.

< SIG Panama >

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:06   #7

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
I'd say grab a cab. They can take you right where you want to go, and they travel on your schedule - not a predetermined one that may get you there late if there are any delays. Plenty available right there at the airport, and as mentioned, don't hang around Colon too long or too late. Just have the cab drop you at your destination and enjoy your sail out of there...

Rob
Old 12-07-2010, 06:19   #8

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Rebook your flight and spend a few days in Panama City. The old city is fabulous.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20   #9

Re: Transportation from Panama City Airport to Port of Colon, Panama

Before my trip to Panama I started looking for a round trip from the airport to Colon Home Port which is 1.15 hour away, I've email and called many transfers companies none responded then I found services@retransferpanama.com. Donald Peralta responded back within minutes and even called my home phone later which I sent with my email. My wife and I decided to use them after reading some testimonials from others. Very professional, reliable, on time, by the time we landed Gregg the driver sent us a text with his pic outside waiting with R&E Transfer logo.

Gregg was a very nice guy professional, knowledgeable about Panama and spoke english very well. R&E Transfer had the best prices for both transfer & tours 20 to 25% less and very reliable, we did city tour and Panama canal the last day, Gregg was already @ the Exit of the Home Port waiting for us. We strongly recommend R&E Transfer for tours and transfer from the airport to wherever you wish to go when visiting Panama.
fred.jans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, Panama, Panama Canal