Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2008, 16:10   #1

Tortola Theory, To Charge or not to Charge?

Hey guys, I have come up with a plan to save some time with our summer time journey. I have decided that during my spring break I will sail our 37' Beneteau to Tortola, BVI (weather permitting). Our original plan was to start during summer break at the end of April but would be most likely be head into the wind. Basically the point of this is to turn a two week trip into about a week long trip. Also, seems like a great way to start the trip with the boat already over there! We would be sailing the boat over mid March. My concern which isn't much of one is what marina's are fairly inexpensive and provide good security??? I haven't been able to come up with much in that department. Any suggestions on the whole theory? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
alexleclainche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 17:44   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
No real help here but from European sailors who winter cruise on liners in the area have heard very little good reports about Tortola in general - save being a natural film set for "Pirates of the Caribbean".
Old 28-01-2008, 18:39   #3

Where are you sailing FROM to get there in a week? If anywhere further than the West Coast of PR...you are biting off more than you can chew.

If you are a US citizen and have to leave the boat...perhaps one of the marinas on the E Coast of St. Thomas would be a better choice of landfall than Tortola.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 09:31   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleclainche View Post
My concern which isn't much of one is what marina's are fairly inexpensive and provide good security??? I haven't been able to come up with much in that department. Any suggestions on the whole theory? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
Lots depend on what your idea of inexpensive, and how secure your talking about and if your talking both physical and weather.

Basically most of us don't consider any of the Carib marinas inexpensive... for your size boat your looking at high $50's to mid $80's per night (some more) for a slip and between $25 and $35 a night on a mooring. With the slips you will also have the cost for any electric and water you use. Most marinas have some security for the slips but little is possible with a mooring. If yours leaving the boat for an short period of time, you may be able to find a management company to take care of it at either a slip or mooring.... Plan on between $150 to $300 per month in addition to the slip or mooring fee and any work/ expenses the management company has for you.

I can tell you... you will have a hard time seeing much of the BVI in only a week or two. I've been in the BVI and USVI for more than 6 weeks and have several more to go and still have places to go that I have missed on several previous two week cruises over the past couple of years.... but do not let that stop you... you can get a taste but it will probably keep you returning for years.... and for far more than a week at a time.... heck I know of several places I can set a hook and stay a week, keeping busy and entertained every day and night and others where just being alone (or very few other boats) is nice.

Never depend on the weather.... it will always be on your nose no matter when or where you sail even if it is normally a downwind run.... when your ready it will probably be a south west wind.... the shorter your time line the more likely it will occur..... fate of sailors.

I'll be heading home Mid Feb but will be back down for several months again starting in late April or early May.

Hope you have a great time also

Presently at Trellis Bay off Beef Island, BVI
Old 29-01-2008, 16:06   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Reality Check gave you very good information.

There should be slips available in Tortola. In St Thomas April is nearing the end of the busy season and it may be difficult to find any space at a marina other than maybe Yacht Haven Grande which does have very good security, and you will pay for it.

Curious to hear where you are sailing from to arrive in Tortola in a week.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 16:30   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
A few years ago, Fat Hogs Bay used to be the cheapest
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote