Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 19:55   #1
ssn

TMM Grenadines Charter Review

I recently chartered from TMM, from the Grenadines base. Before my trip I couldn't find a recent review for TMM, therefore, now that I am back home, I decided to provide a review for others. I chartered a 36' monohull. I was somewhat disappointed. Although the staff was extremely nice, the boat had some serious issues. Specifically, the engine mounts were loose, the transmission was starting to go, the windlass jammed every 10 feet of chain and the furling main had to be manually pulled out by hand. Additionally, even though I called a day ahead and was assured that the boat was ready, I didn't get off the doc until 2:45. I showed up at 9:45. The jib was out for repairs, the incorrect paperwork had to be resent and at the last minute the engine water cooling system was discovered to be leaking and the pump had to be replaced. We arrived at Bequia finally and anchored, but while we were eating dinner we realized we were dragging. It was almost dark by this point. We had a hell of a time trying to get the anchor up expeditiously since it kept jamming, the engine was knocking hard and I started realizing it wasn't always getting in gear. It was sort of slipping. So by the time we got up and reset, it was fully dark. I called TMM the next day and basically sat around the entire next day waiting for the engine repair person that tightened the engine bolts down. We struggled with the windlass, the main and the gear issue the rest of the trip. When I returned to base and filled out the squawk sheet, they told me that I probably wasn't furling the main tightly enough and asked if the chain was twisting. I've chartered a number of boats in various locals and I know how tight to furl a main and I know when a windlass needs adjusted. Basically I felt that they were very nice but weren't really listening and probably just sent the boat out in the same condition with some other unlucky souls. I can't recommend TMM at this point but as they were all very nice people, I hope that they are able to tighten up their performance and get repeat customers although I won't be one of them.
ssn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: TMM Grenadines Charter Review

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ssn.

Thanks for the review.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

arrive at 9:45, leave by 2:45. In the Caribbean, that's really quick.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49   #4

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I chartered from them in 2010. 6 month old boat. Windlass had loose connections. water pump">Raw water pump failed. Raw water intake line was food grade hose(factory from Jenneau). Routing caused it to chafe and come loose(fixed myself). Opened up water pump to find impeller with only 2 vanes. Waited a day for impeller fix(no spare on boat). No TP on the boat and generally not ready for our first night sleep aboard. Refrigeration was spotty at best.

I understand that boats break down but these issues could have been avoided with a little pro-active maintenance.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:00   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Sounds like a charter boat for sure , they all have there problems , it's the islands . Got to love it

How old was the boat? What make was it.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 14:31   #6
ssn

To follow up:
It was a Beneteau 362 (2001) monohull so yes it had some years on it.
I did happen to notice an extra impeller and extra toilet paper by the way.

More importantly I wanted to ad that after reading my squawk sheet at the main office, I did receive a call today from TMM asking more details about the issues. I am very impressed by that.

SSN
Old 12-03-2013, 14:59   #7

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I have Chartered in the Islands for the last 27 years and found most companies to be helpful if not punctual , I guess it's part of the experience. Up here we are so used to right "now" that we think the whole world works like that . Guess what , they don't . And thats all good , we go to down there to slow down anyway .

But I bet you had a great time anyway

Irie man Irie .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:15   #8
ssn

I consider 3pm a bit late to be headed out to Bequia from St. Vincent especially for some one who is not familiar with the area. That opinion is not because I'm an American. It's because I'm a good sailor and i know a bunch of little problems and mistakes can quickly roller ball into a more serious situation.
Old 13-03-2013, 06:39   #9

What would annoy me is that they SAID that the boat was ready, when it really wasn't. That's nothing to do with "island time," or being an impatient American, or anything else. That's just lying.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 16:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssn View Post
I recently chartered from TMM, from the Grenadines base. Before my trip I couldn't find a recent review for TMM, therefore, now that I am back home, I decided to provide a review for others. I chartered a 36' monohull. I was somewhat disappointed. Although the staff was extremely nice, the boat had some serious issues. Specifically, the engine mounts were loose, the transmission was starting to go, the windlass jammed every 10 feet of chain and the furling main had to be manually pulled out by hand. Additionally, even though I called a day ahead and was assured that the boat was ready, I didn't get off the doc until 2:45. I showed up at 9:45. The jib was out for repairs, the incorrect paperwork had to be resent and at the last minute the engine water cooling system was discovered to be leaking and the pump had to be replaced. We arrived at Bequia finally and anchored, but while we were eating dinner we realized we were dragging. It was almost dark by this point. We had a hell of a time trying to get the anchor up expeditiously since it kept jamming, the engine was knocking hard and I started realizing it wasn't always getting in gear. It was sort of slipping. So by the time we got up and reset, it was fully dark. I called TMM the next day and basically sat around the entire next day waiting for the engine repair person that tightened the engine bolts down. We struggled with the windlass, the main and the gear issue the rest of the trip. When I returned to base and filled out the squawk sheet, they told me that I probably wasn't furling the main tightly enough and asked if the chain was twisting. I've chartered a number of boats in various locals and I know how tight to furl a main and I know when a windlass needs adjusted. Basically I felt that they were very nice but weren't really listening and probably just sent the boat out in the same condition with some other unlucky souls. I can't recommend TMM at this point but as they were all very nice people, I hope that they are able to tighten up their performance and get repeat customers although I won't be one of them.
We had similar experiences a few years ago with them Belize. We've chartered all over and wouldn't charter with them again. We had a cat only 4 months old.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 16:42   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Several times as a cruiser I have helped charterers with minor repairs and other boat problems--seems to be endemic, at least during the busy season where there is a need to turn around the boat quickly for the next charter party.
Old 15-03-2013, 17:27   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck, Ive had to fix all that stuff on my own boat ! I sure would be Peed off if the boat I charterd was as not ready to go like this !! This is the reason we don't charter, with some of the companys ya never know how the boats gonna be !! For us the cost of chartering keeps us from doing it !! but for those who don't wish to have there own boat chartering is a great way to get a sailing vacation ! If ya have to spend time from your PAID vacation fixing a badly maintained boat you should be upset !! Just my 2 cents
Old 24-07-2015, 01:32   #13

Boat: leopard 47

What was the name of the boat in TMM. I am owner of Kilkenny Kats which has been in St Vincent for 4 years. I am trying to contact other owners who had charter boats in TMM fleet.
KilkennyKats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:13   #14

We had a monohull in St Vincent until a year ago.
hagerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:01   #15

WE are trying to contact owners of yachts in charter with TMM St. Vincent for the purpose of recovering monies owed by TMM and Barney Crook. If you are an owner of one of these boats or are acquainted with the owner, please reply via this forum.

Belize 43- Amarylis
Beneteau 362- La Paloma
Beneteau Cyclades 43- Alimata III
Jeanneau 41 DS- Celtic Tide
Jeanneau 43 DS- Havikah III
Jeanneau 45 DS- Doplhin Dance II
Jeanneau 50 DS- Steele The Wind
Leopard 38- Astral Wind
Leopard 40- OH!

Thank you and Fair Winds!
bison65 is offline   Reply With Quote