Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 19:21   #1

Thoughts about the Bahamas

I have spent the last 3 years completely rebuilding a 1972 Pearson 33 with goal of my "Bucket List" cruise of Bahamas. At 69 I am still able to do all work myself and than we have a devastating storm. I am heartbroken for all the devastation for those who call these Islands home.

I do what I say and my plans have not changed. I am however feeling pressure from a few experienced sailors really making sense out of their concern. The suggestion is to wait a year. I am afraid it may not happen.....that being said, I am stubborn.

The boat will be sound as I have replaced everything new. My plan is to have boat finished to leave St Augustine mid to end March heading south on ICW. Stop at Marathon (to chill and engage with adult beverages) and choose a staging point.

Itinerary being Bimini, Berry Islands, Grand Bahamas and on the Eleuthera. Lastly, spend my 70th Birthday at anchorage in Exumas May 30 2020. My concern is that while I understand not all the Bahamas was destroyed, I do realize most resources are now committed to the devastated areas. That being said....provisions, potable water and diesel may be scarce.

I am hoping I can get some input and real experience/knowledge that I can use to clear my thoughts.

Regards in advance and Happy New Year!

GLC
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 14:53   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Thoughts about the Bahamas

Go, man, go! Your itinerary was unaffected by Dorian (except Grand Bahamas). The government has devoted no resources to speak of, unfortunately, to the devastated regions-vast majority of recovery efforts from private donations. Supplies should be just as available or scarce, as they usually are. Enjoy yourself, be safe, and live it up! You will be in for a treat! If you do go to the Abacos, fuel and food are definitely available and the area would greatly appreciate your patronage.

God bless and Godspeed
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:53   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Thoughts about the Bahamas

No need to wait a year at all. Go ahead and go. Life is short. Provision your boat very thoroughly before leaving Florida and carry a couple extra jerry cans for diesel/water and you'll be just fine. Your itinerary will keep you mostly away from areas affected by Dorian. You did mention Grand Bahama, and that was affected by Dorian, but your route (Bimini, Berrys) would allow you to avoid Grand Bahama all together if you decide to do that. You can go from the Berrys to Nassau, and then over to Eleuthera or straight down to the Exumas.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas