Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 17:17   #76

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Thorny vs Thornless Path

Far be it ffrom me to second guess a strategy that works for you. However, I would far rather get all my easting done on the way down than find myself on the south coast of Haiti wanting to go ahundreds of miles east into the teeth of th eprevailing winds. Yes, there are strategies one can use to get east from Ile a Vache. I much prefer a strategy of starting in Antigua from which just about everywhere else is a reach or a run. It is for this reason the Brits liked it as a naval base - They were up wind of everywhere else. Of course, if Haiti is your actual destination then by all means head straight there. But if it isnt then a direct route has a lot to recommend it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 17:35   #77

The Brits were “upwind” for military reasons in square riggers that are best “poised” upwind. I understand your point however, that one can “reach” from there to go most anywhere in a sailing craft with relative ease. However, to get to Antigua from the east coast of Canada or the USA, one must cruise the Atlantic Ocean. I prefer to cruise the Caribbean Sea, as i believe safety is first and foremost. A few years back, cruisers died doing the “1500” because the prognostics about weather in the Atlantic, did not work out.
My destination does not have to be Haiti. If you look at a chart, entering through the Windward Passage, puts one in about the middle of the Caribbean Sea.
I have cruised east using nighttime Katabatic Winds many many times, with lots of searoom to starboard, and many many safe ports to port along Hispaniola and PR right on through to the VI. Or, onto Jamaica, Cuba, or across to the ABC islands or Colombia on a reach; all very doable.
There is only one route that i would always avoid in the Caribbean, and that would be trying to go east from the southwest part, let’s say Colombia or Panama. In my estimation that route is as tough a route as any can be.
On the other hand, the mountain ranges of the Greater Antilles, make heading east at night “a breeze” on a port tack.
Safe Sailing
Frank Virgintino, Author
Free Cruising Guides
tokarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 08:27   #78

We used The Thornless Guide and had an amazing trip. The only time it was uncomfortable was when we didn't follow his guide. Obviously, you aren't in a hurry. I agree with other posts...it is a guide. We thought it very easy to understand.
JECA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 20:16   #79

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I don't understand why people don't combine the two methods. Cruise the Abacos to Eleuthera and then head East during a Northerly to I65 and bang South. Cuts out a lot of bashing from Florida.
Old 17-02-2018, 20:23   #80

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

This was my trip from BVI to FL. Highly recommend it! Safe and fun!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 20:53   #81

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

This was my trip from BVI to FL. Highly recommend it! Safe and fun!!
How much motoring?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 02:18   #82

Boat: Maxim 380

From BVI'S to Florida is not bad but from Florida to the BVI'S is a lot more challenging!
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote