Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2015, 18:14   #46

Re: The Keys vs Abacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Biggest difference. There are MANY deserted islands in the Abacos, almost NONE in the Keys. I have spent the last 35 years going to both places. I prefer the Abacos.
Another great point. Thanks. Being on a deserted island is part of the experience I don't want to miss.

Old 11-10-2015, 18:56   #47

Yukon, you're doing it wrong.

Again.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app

Old 11-10-2015, 20:43   #48

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
You're right on all points, but from my personal mindset, it's like cheating. I want to take my own boat. Which includes boat selection and purchase, maintenance, upgrades, trip planning, and then execution. It's all part of it. I would enjoy the beauty of the Abacos doing what you suggested, but it's just not the same if I'm not doing it on my boat.
Cheating is one way to look at it I suppose. But it's a great way to scout out the area for a later cruise.
Old 11-10-2015, 20:45   #49

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlmeyer View Post
I for have single handed the bahamas for 30 yrs, then 12 married, on a 35ft boat, 4ft draft, w/ 3gm30 yanmar engine. central & south, best, less boats, exhumas park, stanial key, black point, and way south, clarence iown. this is further away but less crowded, people wecome you, If you are near the ocean get a sail boat, expanded horizens , less fuel, 1/2 mpg motor sailing handles weather better, SV RAGGEDY ANN
Amen amen amen!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:32   #50

I also own a 300 Weekender. Been to both the Keys and the Abaco's. Keys will be the same old, same old. The Abaco's would be awesome. Much more interesting. Suggest you cross from Stuart. As long as it's 2-3, you will do fine. It's 90 miles to Walkers Cay (which is currently closed) After that it's all protected waters. Green Turtle, Marsh Harbor, and Little Harbor are all great stops. Good Luck. Report back after you go !!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:02   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGronemeier View Post
I also own a 300 Weekender. Been to both the Keys and the Abaco's. Keys will be the same old, same old. The Abaco's would be awesome. Much more interesting. Suggest you cross from Stuart. As long as it's 2-3, you will do fine. It's 90 miles to Walkers Cay (which is currently closed) After that it's all protected waters. Green Turtle, Marsh Harbor, and Little Harbor are all great stops. Good Luck. Report back after you go !!
It's nice to have these options with over 500hp on a 30 ft. boat. Those of us on the sailboats would not choose to take this path with most all of the crossing against the Gulfstream current.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:30   #52

Quote:
Excellent! It's great to hear from someone with the same boat. Based on additional study and input from this thread - I'm definitely doing the Abacos. I'd love to hear more about your trip. Do you have anything posted on it? I guess my biggest question is what kind of range were you getting at what speed?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:57   #53

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
I just posted an apology to Tim, point taken.

However, as to the rest of this post: This is the standard rhetoric for a movement called "White Nationalism". The "white genocide" philosophers mentioned include Frank L. DeSilva, Robert Mathews, and Tim Murdock.

I'm not going to make any judgments about the content: if you are interested in the movement, you can access source material though google. If this worldview appeals to you, they even have a presidential candidate by the name of Bob Witaker: I'm sure he would appreciate your vote.
Yukon,
I am a very well read person. However, I do not know the above "philosophers" of whom you have referenced. Once again, because you cannot debate a subject logically and intelligently, you resort to name calling and thoughtless emotionalism by now labeling me(subsequent to Tim) a White Nationalist/Racist. This is totally unacceptable and I challenge you to provide one statement that I have made in this discussion, or in any for that matter, that is "Racist." I also challenge you to provide our Forum with personal information that you know about me and my life to make such an incredible and untrue statement. I also notice that you have given no personal information about yourself in your "profile." This makes your comments even more empty and egregious since no one really has any idea who you are. As a learned person, you should know that this tactic has been practiced throughout History to silence opposing viewpoints and eradicate Free Speech and Ideas in Totalitarian regimes: The Russians under Stalin, the Germans under Hitler, the Chinese under Mao, the North Koreans under Kim Jong-un and the Muslims under Isis where challenging State or Religious Ideology was punishable by prison or death. You are among celebrated company. As a final remark, it would be unfair to me and my reputation to close this discussion without an appropriate reply. Fairness to me and the Forum requires your immediate apology since you have unfairly offended me and libeled me to those on this Forum and a wider readership as well.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26   #54

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would think nothing of going up to an "Abaco resident" and saying, "You Abaco folks are really great people, I don't even have to lock my doors!" so I think your problem is with using the word 'black' as a descriptor. I agree that 'a black Abaco man' sounds better than an 'Abaco black' but referring to people as black men or women was the expressed preference of American Negroes. As for assuming Bahamians are black, its not exactly correct but the vast majority are. Cornelius, imprecision like awkward phrasing is not racism. A slower trigger finger would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:46   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Some sidetracking seems to be going on in this thread. Let's keep things to sailing, and in particular, to the original poster's query.

Things work better that way.

avb3
Old 12-10-2015, 19:20   #56

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Upps, sorry Moderator, I just saw your post after I made mine. The end.

PS: I still vote for the Bahamas over the Keys, because of Freedom.
Old 12-10-2015, 22:54   #57

All good advice..what time of year are you going? The Abacos can be quite cool in the winter. Keys much warmer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-10-2015, 07:15   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
All good advice..what time of year are you going? The Abacos can be quite cool in the winter. Keys much warmer.
That's an interesting topic. I've been surprised by a lot of reading that comments about the cooler weather in the Abacos. I think we'll be going in May/June so I assume it won't be so much of an issue. I know we'd appreciate the cooler weather at night, but will be in the water much of the day.
Old 19-10-2015, 11:34   #59

I have had our 300 WK since1991. Went from Stuart directly to Walker's Cay. Cruised at 3000 rpm at 22 knots. Email me at gfgronemeier@trane.com if you want to discuss further. Greg Gronemeier
Old 19-10-2015, 14:57   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
I have had our 300 WK since1991. Went from Stuart directly to Walker's Cay. Cruised at 3000 rpm at 22 knots. Email me at gfgronemeier@trane.com if you want to discuss further. Greg Gronemeier
Greg, it is better that the discussion stays in thread, that way all can learn from it.

Tags
abaco

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: