Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 08:38   #1

Exclamation The Bermuda Triangle

I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up. Considering, that there are the possibilites, and strange occurances of this vast area. Known, as the Burmuda Triangle.

If anybody in this forum, who has actually sailed. Or flown over, this vast region of open water. Has any interesting stories, or facts. I would love to hear about them. You never know, what some of the people on this forum, could learn about the Bermuda Triangle.

What I do know about it, since I cannot actually go into full details. That I once served in the United States Navy. And that I have heard some strange tales, about that region. And that I do know that compasses tend to vear off from true north? And that some boats have had electrical malfunctions?

If this is true. Then please write, and post your experiences!! Maybe through these postings, we could learn alot. About this vast region of the mysterious waters known as the Bermuda Triangle. An often topic known to be overly not talked too much about.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:43   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Been through there many times, but never had any problems.

Always used to succeed in getting some gullible person up on deck to view the beginning of the triangle - just the same for the equator, the tropics and the arctic circle - I guess some people expect to see a big black line just as on their globes!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I should think compasses there would veer off from true north - even that near the equator there should be a bit of variation, no?
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:03   #4
Kai Nui

Talbot, my wife had another suggestion, wait until you pass into the area, and call the crew on deck. When they get there, tel them they just missed it
Old 03-12-2005, 10:04   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
At the risk of sounding like a nut, here is what happened to me 5-6 years ago wile in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. I had several folks onboard for a week charter and we decided to go ashore and have lunch so we pulled in the Xanadu. After eating I went to the boat first to clean it up a bit and when I boarded I noticed the compass spinning around in a 360*in an uneven speed. My jaw must have dropped to the deck as I stood there in disbeleaf.10 minutes later the folks came back to the boat and I hurried them up to see this happening, for anougher 10 min or so . It finally started to wobble to the point that it stopped turning around, but I was really happy others were there to see it, as I at that time in my life would never have believed it unless I had seen it with my own eyes.
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:30   #6

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
We have had boring trips thru the triangel

We have been thru the triangle several times and our trips are boring. Only dancing fish on the line and wind in the sails.

Maybe next time........
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Most of the stories of the Triangle are myths. Many of the ships that went missing have scince been proved to have gone down several thousand miles away from the area of the triangle. There have only been two maybe three valid stories of strange happenings in this infamouse area and all have been explained as to why. The missing air squadron being probably the most famouse mystery, has now been pretty much explained as to what happen, why and where. Once again, nothing really mysteriouse and also most likely, they actually went down outside the area of the triangle.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:46   #8

I forgot where exactly. But, I remember that they found the area where the planes actually went. I just don't remember if it's in the Triangle?
Old 03-12-2005, 17:33   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Triangle

I believe that there are six areas in the world where compasses and such things have problems. 3 in the North and 3 in the South, all at even spaces. I think this is bit like Roswell, it gets reported a lot because 330 million educated people life on the land mass in the area. NZ only has about 4 million. The press in North America will report anything as long as it is not normal.
There is a layer of methane gas on the bottom of the large puddles. If this gas burps now and then there would be problems for boats above. Other wise boats go glug, and planes auger in all over the world. North America is not the only place where strange things happen, and I think I speak correctly when I say it is not the center of the universe. What about the spooks in the Mersey tunnell.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 20:05   #10

You're right about there being 6 triangles.

They are scattered about across the globe. And I'm sure it has some effect on compasses in those areas, as well as the Bermuda triangle.

I have a graph about what we're talking about. I tried to post as I was typing this posting. The graph is 22.6KB and 1,000KB is the largest this site allows? But, I'll try to see if I can figure out a way to post it here. Ok?
Old 05-12-2005, 21:21   #11

Post Link

Dear forum.

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, I have tried everything on my end. To resize the photo that I wanted to post on here.

But, the solution is finally here!!

Below is a link to a website that I downloaded my photo of the multiple triangles, that are across this globe. Enjoy!!

http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?i...strimap5yl.jpg

Tags
Bermuda